The Student Room Group

Dance and Trance Music Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Economist
Like both Trance and Dance. Mainly into the big commercial trance DJs.

Ooh! Do you like Jurgen Vries and Scooter? (Though Scooter is techno :redface: ).
Reply 81
Elements
You're right! Just added you! :smile:

Cheers!
Reply 82
Phil_D
Cheers!

That's OK! You're welcome! :biggrin:
Reply 83
OK, well being as i'm officially part of the society i might aswell say a few things to mark my arrival.

Firstly, i've seen quite a lot of talk about Scooter in this topic, which is nice to see. Shows they, despite disappearing from the UK scene (due to lack of marketing) are still firmly engraved on dance lovers minds. On the other hand, i've also seen quite a bit of Scooter bashing. Let's get things straight - Scooter are one of the biggest and most important dance acts in dance music history. Cheesey, nonsensical lyrics, chipmunk vocals... you think that's all Scooter are? Wrong! Albums like Wicked and We Bring The Noise are the stuff of genius and obvious musical talent - end of. I have 209 Scooter tracks in my collection according to iTunes. Around 16 hours of music. The 'genre' column ranges from Happy Hardcore to Trance, from Chillout to House and Disco. Sometimes when i see people in the UK talking about Scooter i wonder if they really know who or what they are talking about.... Has anyone heard of Ratty? :wink:

Anyway, enough of that.

I myself am pretty much into every form of dance music there is. There's not lot i don't like. I've been into trance and chart dance music for as long as i can remember. Around 2002/2003 i really got into my hard dance music - hard house, hard trance, hardstyle - and now it boarders upon obsession. For me, hard trance is where it's at - as rough, driving and rhythmic as hard house but as euphoric, uplifting and cutting edge as modern trance. Beautiful. Although, since getting to Uni in Bristol, i've discovered the wonders of Psy-Trance (mainly Infected Mushroom - who i went to see live in Bristol in Novemeber) and Drum & Bass/Breaks (which is pretty much the only dance music that gets played around here.) Oh, and my collection of Bonkers CDs is also growing nicely so there's always the opportunity for a spot of hardcore when required.

Anyway, i'm boring the pants off you all know so i'll shut up and leave. lol
Reply 84
Phil_D
Has anyone heard of Ratty? :wink: Anyway, enough of that.

what the hell are you talking about? ratty is NOTHING like scooter, ratty is breakbeat hardcore, scooter is shity rip-off yankee happy hardcore. Ratty is a legend, scooter aint.

heard of easygroove? top buzz? flashback? spinback? donovan bad boy smith? storm? didn't think so, breakbeat hardcore is the first music i got into and started mixing.............i am the old skool GOD. blup!
Reply 85
Dj Nastie
what the hell are you talking about? ratty is NOTHING like scooter, ratty is breakbeat hardcore,

Wrong Ratty, mate lol

Ratty

If you've never heard Sunrise by Ratty then you've been living under a rock for the past 5 years. Ratty was a project invented by Scooter to get people that thought Scooter were a "shity rip-off yankee happy hardcore" act listening to their material. Thousands of dance fans around the world were saying, "God, aren't Scooter talentless nobodies" while at the same time saying, "That Sunrise by Ratty is a *****ing classic - i wonder who wrote it?"

Dj Nastie
shity rip-off yankee happy hardcore

By saying that you've just proved exactly what i said in my previous post.

Scooter were never a fully fledged happy hardcore act. Their first album, ...And The Beat Goes On, aswell as containing your traditional Scooter rave tracks like Move Your Ass and Endless Summer, contained a hell of a lot of trance. Rick and Ferris helped give birth to modern trance with tracks like Different Reality and Waiting For Spring. Wicked, which was released the year after, contained as much chillout as anything else and its debateable as to whether it contains any happy hardcore at all. Out of the 200 odd Scooter tracks i have, i'd personally only class 9 of them as happy hardcore. Equally, Scooter have never really been a techno act. Techno is word often used to describe any type of dance music that can't be put into the other, more easily defined, genres of dance. I'd only class 2, maybe 3, Scooter songs as genuine techno. But in a sense, they have created their own genre that most of the fans call "Stadium Techno". How many dance acts can say they have invented their own genre?

OK, so you are really into your breakbeat hardcore. That means you probably won't like Scooter. Of all the many many dance genres that Scooter span, breakbeat hardcore isn't really one of them - but are Scooter a "shity yankee (whatever that's meant to mean) happy hardcore" group? Nope. There's far more to them than that.
Reply 86
Phil_D
OK, well being as i'm officially part of the society i might aswell say a few things to mark my arrival.

Firstly, i've seen quite a lot of talk about Scooter in this topic, which is nice to see. Shows they, despite disappearing from the UK scene (due to lack of marketing) are still firmly engraved on dance lovers minds. On the other hand, i've also seen quite a bit of Scooter bashing. Let's get things straight - Scooter are one of the biggest and most important dance acts in dance music history. Cheesey, nonsensical lyrics, chipmunk vocals... you think that's all Scooter are? Wrong! Albums like Wicked and We Bring The Noise are the stuff of genius and obvious musical talent - end of. I have 209 Scooter tracks in my collection according to iTunes. Around 16 hours of music. The 'genre' column ranges from Happy Hardcore to Trance, from Chillout to House and Disco. Sometimes when i see people in the UK talking about Scooter i wonder if they really know who or what they are talking about.... Has anyone heard of Ratty? :wink:

Anyway, enough of that.

I myself am pretty much into every form of dance music there is. There's not lot i don't like. I've been into trance and chart dance music for as long as i can remember. Around 2002/2003 i really got into my hard dance music - hard house, hard trance, hardstyle - and now it boarders upon obsession. For me, hard trance is where it's at - as rough, driving and rhythmic as hard house but as euphoric, uplifting and cutting edge as modern trance. Beautiful. Although, since getting to Uni in Bristol, i've discovered the wonders of Psy-Trance (mainly Infected Mushroom - who i went to see live in Bristol in Novemeber) and Drum & Bass/Breaks (which is pretty much the only dance music that gets played around here.) Oh, and my collection of Bonkers CDs is also growing nicely so there's always the opportunity for a spot of hardcore when required.

Anyway, i'm boring the pants off you all know so i'll shut up and leave. lol

Hey, don't go! You're not boring me! I'm learning stuff here! :p: I only said that Scooter were classed as Eurotechno bcos that's what I'd been told and I didn't know how else to classify it. :redface: I like all the Scooter songs that I've heard so far: The Logical Song, Posse, The Night and Weekend. The Logical Song is especially good for the lyrics "good morning" being played really early in the morning! :p: Lol, my parents love me for that! :p: :rolleyes: My favourite Scooter song that I've heard is tie between Posse and The Logical Song- pure class! :biggrin: What about you? Wow, you like more genres of dance music than I do and own so many Scooter songs- lucky! :biggrin: I'd love to hear some of their other stuff but it's hard to buy that sort of stuff etc around where I live wi :frown: thout having to import them in! Plus i was saving some money. So did you import/burn those Scooter songs over onto your MP3 player or download them? For free? :p:
On the basis of Trance I will join.
Dj Nastie
heard of easygroove? top buzz? flashback? spinback? donovan bad boy smith? storm? didn't think so, breakbeat hardcore is the first music i got into and started mixing.............i am the old skool GOD. blup!

yes to all those in bold...although considering that you see your self as the old skool god, or even a breakbeat hardcore fiend how could you have left out Ellis Dee :eek: :confused: or Luna C :frown:
Reply 89
Elements
Hey, don't go! You're not boring me! I'm learning stuff here! :p:

lol Glad to hear it.

Elements
I only said that Scooter were classed as Eurotechno bcos that's what I'd been told and I didn't know how else to classify it. :

Well, Scooter have dabbled in so many different genres that it's difficult to class them as anything other than dance. I'd class most of the singles as "Stadium Techno". But real techno is something completely different.

Elements
My favourite Scooter song that I've heard is tie between Posse and The Logical Song- pure class! :biggrin: What about you?

Yeah, Posse is the all time fav, for me. There's not much you can say about it - it's just awesome choonage. In fact, if you speak to most Scooter fans they will name Posse as their favourite single.

Elements
Wow, you like more genres of dance music than I do

To be fair, my love for hard dance far outstrips my love for Scooter. Don't get me wrong, I still think Scooter are great but if i could only take 10 tracks to a desert island i doubt Scooter would make it onto my CD player. Guyver, Gaz West, Phil York, Technikal, James Lawson, Carl Nicholson, Chris Hoff and the likes are the ones that would be. My tastes are stupidly broad to be fair. How many people, when asked to name some of their favourite aritsts, would put Bomfunk MC's, Scooter, The Prodigy, Pendulum, Lee Haslam, Röyksopp, Daft Punk, Infected Mushroom, Armin Van Buuren, Marco V, Styles & Breeze, Dark By Design, Ferry Corsten, Nu Nrg, Faithless and Fatboy Slim in the same list.

Elements
So did you import/burn those Scooter songs over onto your MP3 player or download them? For free? :p:

Back in 2002/2003 i spent all my allowance on importing all their album from Germany. Because some of them are quite old now i got them quite cheap. I've got 13 of their albums and about 8 of the singles. I stopped buying the singles over the last few years - in fact, i've stopped buying CDs altogether. I'm a downloading demon now. The MP3 collection now stands at 38.5 gig and growing.
Reply 90
Phil_D
Wrong Ratty, mate lol

Ratty

If you've never heard Sunrise by Ratty then you've been living under a rock for the past 5 years. Ratty was a project invented by Scooter to get people that thought Scooter were a "shity rip-off yankee happy hardcore" act listening to their material. Thousands of dance fans around the world were saying, "God, aren't Scooter talentless nobodies" while at the same time saying, "That Sunrise by Ratty is a *****ing classic - i wonder who wrote it?"

never heard it, i dont listen to happy hardcore, i dont like it. i could easily say........have you heard acen - trip to the moon? WHAT!? you haven't? its possibly the best dance track ever created. tbh if i do listen to it ill probably say its crap :smile:

Phil_D
By saying that you've just proved exactly what i said in my previous post.

i dont like scooter.

Phil_D
Scooter were never a fully fledged happy hardcore act. Their first album, ...And The Beat Goes On, aswell as containing your traditional Scooter rave tracks like Move Your Ass and Endless Summer, contained a hell of a lot of trance. Rick and Ferris helped give birth to modern trance with tracks like Different Reality and Waiting For Spring. Wicked, which was released the year after, contained as much chillout as anything else and its debateable as to whether it contains any happy hardcore at all. Out of the 200 odd Scooter tracks i have, i'd personally only class 9 of them as happy hardcore. Equally, Scooter have never really been a techno act. Techno is word often used to describe any type of dance music that can't be put into the other, more easily defined, genres of dance. I'd only class 2, maybe 3, Scooter songs as genuine techno. But in a sense, they have created their own genre that most of the fans call "Stadium Techno". How many dance acts can say they have invented their own genre?

Fabio? maybe grooverider? lol JUNGLE!? ermmm even altern 8? RAVE? carl cox, dj hype? breakbeat hardcore?

Phil_D
OK, so you are really into your breakbeat hardcore. That means you probably won't like Scooter. Of all the many many dance genres that Scooter span, breakbeat hardcore isn't really one of them - but are Scooter a "shity yankee (whatever that's meant to mean) happy hardcore" group? Nope. There's far more to them than that.

oooooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkk, you like them i dont.

I got through the tasty flange ep today, released way back in 92, its over 10 years old!! ill rip a track of it, its breakbeat hardcore at its finest.

--------------

qwerty_st/n
yes to all those in bold...although considering that you see your self as the old skool god, or even a breakbeat hardcore fiend how could you have left out Ellis Dee :eek: :confused: or Luna C :frown:

ellis dee is a lil jungle head, he still spins old skool but he doesn't focus on it, just like phantasy and sy still spin but concentrate on different things. Luna c is a stroppy **** whose label has released some the worst stuff in history, but i forgot about him :wink:
Reply 91
ok heres two tracks, the first one is from the tasty flange ep and is more breakbeat hardcore, has some wiked amens in it. the second one is by awesome 3 and called headstrong, its rave and probably one of the most rushy tunes you'll heard, the bleeps, crowd samples with horns, drop a few and you'll think your in space its crazy!

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1IJB22JTG3GWT2MUSO5Q19AN36

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0DZWEN27F92523DRRGA4EDTYE5
Reply 92
Dj Nastie
never heard it, i dont listen to happy hardcore, i dont like it. i could easily say........have you heard acen - trip to the moon? WHAT!? you haven't? its possibly the best dance track ever created. tbh if i do listen to it ill probably say its crap :smile:

The point of me mentioning Ratty was nothing to do with trying to show you a Scooter track that you should or could like. The point of me mentioning Ratty was to point out that Scooter do styles other than this mythical "happy hardcore" that everyone says they produce and to show that often people like Scooter without even realising it through liking Ratty tracks. And Ratty - Sunrise isn't happy hardcore. Neither is the majority of Scooter's material. You'd be closer to the mark (but still wrong) if you called Scooter a trance act.

Dj Nastie

Fabio? maybe grooverider? lol JUNGLE!? ermmm even altern 8? RAVE? carl cox, dj hype? breakbeat hardcore?

Maybe i wasn't very clear about that point... By inventing a genre i meant creating a genre that is exclusive to that group. Fabio and Grooverider may have "invented" jungle, according to you, but they aren't the only artists to create jungle (far from it, in fact.) Whereas, the concept of "Stadium Techno" is something very exclusive to Scooter. I'm sure there are probably other examples but i'm sure they are rare.
Reply 93
By the way, i listenned to those tracks you just posted, and frankly i found them pretty boring. Not bad by any means, but nothing special. The second one was lot better than the first one, but still give me trance or hard house any day of the week.

And just for the record - the closest Scooter tracks to those 2 you posted would probably be When I Was A Young Boy or We Take You Higher (both from the album Wicked) but, having said that, you probably wouldn't be too impressed as, along with the breakbeats, both tracks have "happy hardcore" overtones because of the "happy" riffs they use.
Reply 94
Phil_D
Maybe i wasn't very clear about that point... By inventing a genre i meant creating a genre that is exclusive to that group. Fabio and Grooverider may have "invented" jungle, according to you, but they aren't the only artists to create jungle (far from it, in fact.)

no shi/t sherlock, want me to list every single artist that was pushing jungle forward? infact you list the artists if you know so much about it =/

Phil_D
Whereas, the concept of "Stadium Techno" is something very exclusive to Scooter. I'm sure there are probably other examples but i'm sure they are rare.

what a load of bollox, im sure there's loads of producers similar to scooter, just because you aint heard of them doesn't mean they dont exist.

--------------

Phil_D
By the way, i listenned to those tracks you just posted, and frankly i found them pretty boring. Not bad by any means, but nothing special. The second one was lot better than the first one, but still give me trance or hard house any day of the week.

And just for the record - the closest Scooter tracks to those 2 you posted would probably be When I Was A Young Boy or We Take You Higher (both from the album Wicked) but, having said that, you probably wouldn't be too impressed as, along with the breakbeats, both tracks have "happy hardcore" overtones because of the "happy" riffs they use.

they have breaks? post them up and let me have a listen.

hard house is rubbish, how can you say you find those tracks boring when they have so many different levels? hard house, wow a nasty repitive kick drum, or the second track which has a nice piano riff, breaks and ravey bleeps. Dont even get me started on trance!

--------------

actually i may be going to gods kitchen tonight, only because its free though, a few disco biscuits should be able to disguise how bad the music is :wink:
Reply 95
Dj Nastie

what a load of bollox, im sure there's loads of producers similar to scooter, just because you aint heard of them doesn't mean they dont exist.

There are plenty of parallels between Scooter's "Stadium Techno" and other artists but i doubt there are many other artists, if any at all, that produce music that is the full package that Scooter fans call "Stadium Techno". Maybe i'm wrong, but i doubt it.

Dj Nastie
no shi/t sherlock, want me to list every single artist that was pushing jungle forward? infact you list the artists if you know so much about it =/

And what would be the point of that..... :rolleyes:

Dj Nastie

they have breaks? post them up and let me have a listen.

I might do - if you're nice.

Dj Nastie
n
hard house is rubbish, how can you say you find those tracks boring when they have so many different levels? hard house, wow a nasty repitive kick drum,

Admittedly, hard house is repetitive, but, if it's good hard house, it'll have far more edge. Good hard house is aggressive, normally with a rough, hard-hitting riff. James Lawson's mix of Alphazone's Stay is a perfect example. I know myself, when hard house is bad, it's very very very bad, but you just have to know what you're looking for.
Reply 96
Phil_D
And what would be the point of that..... :rolleyes:

if you know so much about it............. =/

Phil_D
I might do - if you're nice.

cool, sure its not just a broken beat hes got rather than actual breaks?

Phil_D
Admittedly, hard house is repetitive, but, if it's good hard house, it'll have far more edge. Good hard house is aggressive, normally with a rough, hard-hitting riff. James Lawson's mix of Alphazone's Stay is a perfect example. I know myself, when hard house is bad, it's very very very bad, but you just have to know what you're looking for.

if you like aggressive why not listen to DnB? much better, broken beats are always much more interesting, djs have more skill too.
Reply 97
Dj Nastie
if you know so much about it............. =/

Never said i did.

Dj Nastie
cool, sure its not just a broken beat hes got rather than actual breaks?

Well, you can correct if and when you hear it but the beats in both tracks are what i would describe as having breakbeats. Matter of opinion i suppose. And just a little correction - Scooter isn't a he - there have always been 3 people in Scooter.

An example of Scooter using breakbeats
Like it or loath it, you asked to hear it.

An example of what i reckon is "good" Hard House
Not everyone's cup of tea but just thought i'd give an example of what floats my boat hard house-wise.

My prefered style
I can't believe i've not mentioned Alphazone yet... turn this baby up!!
Reply 98
the first track is using breaks, quite cheesy with those vocals and thats defo happy hardcore. Not much going on in it, but its ok. add a few more layers and remove the shity vocals and it would be a good happy hardcore track, similar to the type being released in 94 and 95, then hhc got crap and adopted a horrible 4x4 kick drum =/.

the second track, is using a broken beat structure, i think, im listening to it on my laptop and the sound aint clear, but there might be a kick drum in there simaltanious with the snare. I dont like it, and it isn't hard house.

and i hate the 3rd track!! its just noise, a trancey riff and rubbish bleeps, the broken beat is the best thing going on this. i have no idea what genre this fall into but i rekon some ***ed up hard trance genre, although the snare doesn't make that likely.
Reply 99
Dj Nastie
the first track is using breaks, quite cheesy with those vocals and thats defo happy hardcore. Not much going on in it, but its ok. add a few more layers and remove the shity vocals and it would be a good happy hardcore track, similar to the type being released in 94 and 95, then hhc got crap and adopted a horrible 4x4 kick drum =/.

the second track, is using a broken beat structure, i think, im listening to it on my laptop and the sound aint clear, but there might be a kick drum in there simaltanious with the snare. I dont like it, and it isn't hard house.

and i hate the 3rd track!! its just noise, a trancey riff and rubbish bleeps, the broken beat is the best thing going on this. i have no idea what genre this fall into but i rekon some ***ed up hard trance genre, although the snare doesn't make that likely.

It is clear from your analysis that our approaches to dance music are entirely different. Although, the first track is a bit cheesey and defo has some happy hardcore influence, it's not, in my view, "full on" happy hardcore. The 2nd track is, to me, obviously hard house. I can't honestly think what other genres it could possibly come under. It was released on Tidy - a hard house label - so the people at Tidy obviously believe it's hard house of some description. And for me, the 3rd track is absolute perfection. A beautiful union of powerful bass and uplifting riff - the breakdown is unbelieveable. For me, its perfect dance music. And yes, it is hard trance. European hard trance to be exact.

Just my opinions of course.

Quick Reply

Latest