The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich Medical School) Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I emailed them to ask if candidate were scored academically and got a really vague reply outlining their selection process...

I did got at A-level, A*AA, which I'm beyond happy with (though I did get a b in As Psychology :colondollar:) But its GCSEs that I'm concerned about! There seem to be so many applicants with their 12 A*s etc...

So how do you guys think my GCSEs would stack up? I got A*AAAAAAAB. I'm strongly considering applying to UEA :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by MJHERBZ
I emailed them to ask if candidate were scored academically and got a really vague reply outlining their selection process...

I did got at A-level, A*AA, which I'm beyond happy with (though I did get a b in As Psychology :colondollar:) But its GCSEs that I'm concerned about! There seem to be so many applicants with their 12 A*s etc...

So how do you guys think my GCSEs would stack up? I got A*AAAAAAAB. I'm strongly considering applying to UEA :smile:

They should be fine, I think the UEA wants either 5 or 7 As at GCSE, which you easily have! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by Joseppea
They should be fine, I think the UEA wants either 5 or 7 As at GCSE, which you easily have! :biggrin:

Yayyy! I just always like to see a scoring system somewhere to make me feel safe :P thank you!
Reply 23
Original post by MJHERBZ
Yayyy! I just always like to see a scoring system somewhere to make me feel safe :P thank you!

No problem.

Update: They want 6 As at GCSE and AAAb at A-level. You should be fine academically. :smile:

What do you like about the UEA?
*Watches thread for lurking purposes. :ninja:*
I've personally never been to UEA but one of my teachers graduated there and refers to it as a great place to study, so why not try out medicine at UEA :biggrin: I'm probably applying there if the requirements aren't too high. My GCSE's do not compete well with you guys lol. 3A*-5A-2B-1C.

Anyone know's how many candidates per placement this uni has?
Original post by eatpraylove

I've personally never been to UEA but one of my teachers graduated there and refers to it as a great place to study, so why not try out medicine at UEA :biggrin: I'm probably applying there if the requirements aren't too high. My GCSE's do not compete well with you guys lol. 3A*-5A-2B-1C.

Anyone know's how many candidates per placement this uni has?

UEA was very oversubscribed last year, but that could be because they started off advertising their offer as AAB, which has become increasingly rare. They had over 2100 applicants for 130 space (+ 13 international spots)

UEA is great :biggrin: And they're similar to my GCSEs - UEA just asks for minimum 6As, and I think they had to include English Language and Maths, although it might be worth checking that out :p:
Reply 27
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
UEA was very oversubscribed last year, but that could be because they started off advertising their offer as AAB

...or because it's just generally awesome. :biggrin:

...or because it's just generally awesome. :biggrin:

Going by its popularity on here, I'm afraid to say I think it's the former. I don't know why UEA doesn't get the recognition it deserves tbh :grumble:
Reply 29
Going by its popularity on here, I'm afraid to say I think it's the former. I don't know why UEA doesn't get the recognition it deserves tbh :grumble:

it's a sad truth I guess. Eh well, the less academically god-like TSR applicants the better :colone: especially if it was really oversubscribed last year.

I think it used to have a bad reputation, but in recent years has gotten alot better. I mean, it's gone up from 51st place to 18th from 2006-2012 (in the Guardian rankings - which I know don't apply to medical schools, but as an overall ranking it's pretty impressive.) :biggrin:

Are you glad you picked the UEA? :smile:
A ratio of 130:2100 means there are just above 16 students per placement. Talk about tough competition..

Are you glad you picked the UEA? :smile:

Absolutely. I don't think I would have been happier anywhere else :h:

A ratio of 130:2100 means there are just above 16 students per placement. Talk about tough competition..

But like I said, that was when they were AAB rather than AAA, so lots of people may have chosen it for their back-up. It's definitely worth it if you beat the competition though :p:
I don't know anymore lol.. It seems a bit unrealistic, those figures are very similar to the ratio which Imperial College has..

But then again you're right about the back up thing.. I guess applications should go down by a bit.
Plus uea allows resits and doesn't focus on ukcat so I would've thought there'd still be loads of competition?
Reply 34
Does anybody know roughly how many people the UEA interview, in proportion to the offers they give out? I'm asking because I have a guaranteed interview there because of a course I attended, and I'd like to know roughly what my chances are :h:

Original post by Iaso
Does anybody know roughly how many people the UEA interview, in proportion to the offers they give out? I'm asking because I have a guaranteed interview there because of a course I attended, and I'd like to know roughly what my chances are :h:

When I applied for 2010 entry, they either interviewed a third and gave offers to half of them, or interviewed half and gave offers to a third. I can't quite remember what way round it was, or if it's changed since then :dontknow: I think it's more likely to be the former though.
Reply 36
When I applied for 2010 entry, they either interviewed a third and gave offers to half of them, or interviewed half and gave offers to a third. I can't quite remember what way round it was, or if it's changed since then :dontknow: I think it's more likely to be the former though.

The number of interviews is roughly the same each year regardless of the number of applications, as are the number of offers made. It's not really dependent on how many people apply.
Reply 37

Thank you! That would be good, if they gave offers to a half ^_^ Fingers crossed! Do you have any specific tips to wow them in the interview?

Original post by Iaso
Thank you! That would be good, if they gave offers to a half ^_^ Fingers crossed! Do you have any specific tips to wow them in the interview?

See the post above - the interview and offer numbers don't really change year on year, so last year with the applicant numbers being so high it would be nowhere near half they were interviewing. And not really - the interview changes every year, and the answers as station specific, so I'm not sure there is any general advice to give asides from the obvious :p:
Is there anyone here who applied, and got an interview or onto, the medicine A104 course at UEA? Can I ask what your actual AS grades were and A2 predictions were if you did?

Quick Reply

Latest