The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich Medical School) Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I was just looking at the UEA website and unless I'm being really stupid and looking in the wrong bit it doesn't specify chemistry A Level for the medicine course? Is this still true? I thought that it was more important than biology when it comes to entry requirements...can anyone explain this? thanks!
I think that they want both Chemistry and Biology for AS Levels but for A2 you can carry on with only one of those two sciences if you achieved a minimum of a B at AS in it.

I am not entirely sure about this and I hope someone will confirm what I've said, but that's all I know.
Reply 42
Original post by Joseppea
You need Biology at A2 and chemistry at AS (at least) IIRC. :biggrin:

There is no chemistry requirement. The AS can be in any subject but must be at a grade b. The only A level that you have to have to apply to UEA is Biology A2 at grade A.
Reply 43
I literally can't find out jack all about how UEA rank candidates or interview or select them... Its like they try to be annoying! I can find the requirments but no idea of how they actually decide what they want from a potential student!!
MM
Reply 44
Original post by medimike
I literally can't find out jack all about how UEA rank candidates or interview or select them... Its like they try to be annoying! I can find the requirments but no idea of how they actually decide what they want from a potential student!!
MM

I think they're an 'all rounder' school - there's no particular UKCAT or GCSE cut off, for example. They just use all of the available information in a kind of holistic way to select for interview. At least, I think so...
Reply 45
Original post by medimike
MM

It does seem a little limited! There is a small bit in the prospectus (http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/welcome) and also info in the 'What our students say' section on the left nav bar in the link above. There is a very small bit about interviews in the FAQ but is basically says the full info will be sent when you are invited.

My best advice would be to attend an open day, they are very helpful, you can have a thorough discussion and get all your questions answered, and really see what areas they are most interested in and it also gives you a chance to see the (lovely :P) campus. Also don't hesitate to email them with any questions you have, they love to see prospective students taking an active interest in knowing the finer details; perhaps that's why generic online info is hard to find... they want to get applicants who are eager to contact to find out all they can to give them the edge.

xxx
I went to their open day in the summer. An admissions tutor said that they rank all students by giving them a score for their UKCAT, AS grades, GCSE grades, aspects of their personal statements like work experience, awareness of medical career, personality etc. Then the students with the higher scores overall are invited to an interview (sorry I don't know what percentage are invited).

I think their interviews are OSCE style, where you have lots of booths (around 8?) and get a few minutes in each booth with an interviewer asking you a different question.

I'm not entirely sure about the interview info, can't remember where I heard that. But the ranking info was from an admissions officer, so I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 47
The reason there is limited info about how the UEA decide on candidates is because it is potentially changing. They used to rank candidates based on screening of their personal statement by two academics/clinicians, this is being replaced as far as I'm aware. Selection for interview is likely to be based on a score comprised of your academic qualifications and UKCAT score (sorry I can't go into more details as I don't really know how it's going to work!).

Around 500 are invited to interview (this is roughly the same each year regardless of number of applications), of which around 220 will be made offers.

The interview is OSCE style and (currently) consists of seven stations each with it's own question or scenario. You get one minute before each station to read said question at which point you will then go in and give your answer. It is a two way conversation and you do not have to talk at them for 5 minutes!
Guys, say for example 220 offers are made, if everyone meets their target offer - does that mean they will get accepted into the uni?

i.e. if all those 220 get what they had to, 220 of them will get a placement?
Reply 49
Original post by eatpraylove
Guys, say for example 220 offers are made, if everyone meets their target offer - does that mean they will get accepted into the uni?

It never works out like that. Not everyone of the 220 who are made offers will firm with UEA, and inevitably not all will meet their targets.
Reply 50
Original post by eatpraylove

I think the person above might have misunderstood? If everyone happened to meet their offer (which is highly improbable, not impossible) then yes, they would all have a place at the medical school guaranteed. Once the university makes you an offer, if you meet it then they are legally obliged to give you a place on that course, regardless of how many other people meet their offer.
Reply 51
So come on guys, what are the major pluses and the major minuses of UEA (current students). What sets you apart from the rest of the medical schools and why do you think you are the best (i presume you do, most people seem to think their own medschool is the best :P )
Reply 52
Original post by Iaso
I think the person above might have misunderstood? If everyone happened to meet their offer (which is highly improbable, not impossible) then yes, they would all have a place at the medical school guaranteed. Once the university makes you an offer, if you meet it then they are legally obliged to give you a place on that course, regardless of how many other people meet their offer.

I'm pretty sure if this happens the university gets fined, I know somebody who is doing dentistry at Newcastle and this happened in his year so they basically offered him and some other applicants money for the gap year (£3k) and his first year tuition fees paid if he took a deferred entry.
Original post by Besakt
I'm pretty sure if this happens the university gets fined, I know somebody who is doing dentistry at Newcastle and this happened in his year so they basically offered him and some other applicants money for the gap year (£3k) and his first year tuition fees paid if he took a deferred entry.

Will he have to pay 2012 tuition fees? :s-smilie:
Reply 54
Original post by dunnicare
Will he have to pay 2012 tuition fees? :s-smilie:

No, he is only paying £3k a year.
Reply 55
Weird question, but how do you keep your notes? Do you hand-write them or are they saved on a computer? Does your PBL group send you word files etc. or do you all do the exact same content? ^-^
Reply 56
Hi All,

This is just a quick message to say that there has been a change to the admissions policy regarding candidates who are resitting A levels.

In order to be considered you will have needed to achieve ABC/BBB in your first sitting. If you are resitting all three A levels then you will have to be predicted A*AA in your resits to be considered for the course. If you are only resitting one A level then you will need a prediction of A*. In addition you will need a fourth A level or AS level at grade B.

Full details of the admissions policy can be found at;
http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-health-policy-and-practice/mbbs-medicine#requirements

Specific enquiries should be made to [email protected]

Thanks.
Reply 57
im thinking of choosing uea, as i live near it and i am fine with the A100 course :smile: do you think i would have a chance? (international student btw!) Thanks in advance :smile:

GCSE: 1A* 7A 1C
AS: AAAB (Math, Chemistry, Biology, Economics respectively)
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 600

also can someone suggest another university that i could be legible for? because i am quite stuck with choices at the moment :frown: and im getting really worried :'(
Reply 58
Original post by Joseppea
No problem.

Update: They want 6 As at GCSE and AAAb at A-level. You should be fine academically. :smile:

What do you like about the UEA?

Thanks!! :biggrin: Do you know if they just want you to meet the minimum entry requirements? I'm doing my best to avoid any med schools which then rank applicants academically based on their 14 A*s at GCSE, in which case I don't do so well :P I can't seem to find a selection prcoess document anywhere :s-smilie:

Well it's relatively local and it seems like a nice university (although admittedly I haven't visited; my main priority this year is where I will have the best chance of getting in). Plus it the university seems to have brilliant facilities and Norwich is a nice city :smile:
I'm leaving for UEA med tomorrow! eek.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending