The Student Room Group

Is it me or is the new polo loud?!?

OKay i bought a 1.2 polo yesterday (60hp) yes i know its low but remember im only 17 :smile:
But does anyone else who has a similar 1.2 have a loud engine or something - even at 1st gear wow my ears are like "**** you"... i remember my driving instructors first car - corsa wasn't that loud but yh does any1 has similar experience?

Scroll to see replies

Well, yes?
High Revs = The engine sounds in pain?
That's pretty much universal in all cars
Its probably due to the cabins sub standard sound insulation that you can hear the engine more?
Reply 2
Possible solutions:
> Needs a service
> Needs cambelt/chain adjusted/changed
> Drive with the radio on
> Dont rev it so high..

What year polo have you got, and what year car did you learn in?

Also, 60hp is plenty enough..
I have a new polo (well 59 plate but a new shape) Its also a 1.2 but its the 70bhp model.

I thought the polo was actually relatively quiet compared to other market rivals :s-smilie:
I have an 04 polo and it's bloody noisy, but it's the diesel model so not a shocker. I think the sound insulation plays a part because it doesn't sound exceptionally loud from outside.
Reply 5
Original post by vmattei1989
did you learn in?

No, it really isnt.
Reply 6
Original post by JC.
No, it really isnt.

Really? I used to own a punto, had all of 54bhp. It could easily cruise at 70-80mph with still some power to overtake. It managed a long trip (couple of hundred miles each way) at those speeds with no problems. It could carry 5 people and still accelerate to 60/70 in a respectable time. Oh, and it still averaged 45mpg.

Now? I own a motorcycle with the best part of 50bhp at the crank (more like 45 now though, it is old), and i can cruise at 80mph for 100mile trips with zero problems. With plenty of power still available to overtake quickly. I can also out accelerate most average cars to 70. Averaging 50mpg over the last few tanks id guess..

So, mind explaining why 60hp isnt enough? :tongue:
Reply 7
So, mind explaining why 60hp isnt enough? :tongue:

Smallest car / engine I own is a 3.0 litre V8. It makes about 150bhp and that isn't really enough. Biggest thing I've got at the moment is a 4.2 straight six which makes about 240bhp (it's basically a detuned e-type engine in a 4 door saloon) - now that's just about enough to keep me entertained.

You can't make decent progress in a car with 60bhp. That's not even enough grunt to get out of it's own way, never mind overtake anything.

I've no idea what any of my cars do to the gallon. Frankly I couldn't give a toss either. :biggrin:
Sat in one yesterday, it wasn't bad though it is still no where near as refined as a Mini.

The version was a 1.2TSI, must say it's quite fast for such a small car though. Noise levels is way better than the likes of a Fiesta or Corsa.

Hardly.
Reply 9
I am sorry, but 60 bhp is just not enough.

I had to borrow my Mum's Corsa for a week while my Mondeo was in for a service. It is a 2004 model with 75 bhp, and although it was just about acceptable when I was on my own in the car (this is before I mention the flat seats, noise, shocking steering), I had to do a hill start with 4 other people in the car and it very nearly didn't make it. As in, my foot was on the floor on the throttle at one point and the engine was literally just about to cut out.

To be fair though, it was a great little car for around town (which is where my mum uses it) so I do see the point. But if you ever plan on going on a long trip it is just not powerful enough.

My Mondeo was a basic 1.8 LX mk3, and with 5 people in the car and the boot full up it happily sat at 60+ for 200 miles without fault.
Reply 10
My polo is 2010 (10) model!
And tbh i find the power of 60bhp enough for my age lol - my mum also has a v6 3 litre engine (too overpowered IMO as it produces 196bph)
Possible solutions:
> Needs a service
> Needs cambelt/chain adjusted/changed
> Drive with the radio on
> Dont rev it so high..

What year polo have you got, and what year car did you learn in?

I have an A3 150BHP 1.8T, 0-60 under 8 secs. I say that is about the minimum I would go. It all depends what sort of power you are used to. I know a polo is smaller but 60bhp, I would really struggle with that as a daily runner.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Smallest car / engine I own is a 3.0 litre V8. It makes about 150bhp and that isn't really enough. Biggest thing I've got at the moment is a 4.2 straight six which makes about 240bhp (it's basically a detuned e-type engine in a 4 door saloon) - now that's just about enough to keep me entertained.

You can't make decent progress in a car with 60bhp. That's not even enough grunt to get out of it's own way, never mind overtake anything.

I've no idea what any of my cars do to the gallon. Frankly I couldn't give a toss either. :biggrin:

You can make perfectly decent progress with 60bhp. Overtaking is a chore on a single-carriageway, but in my experience if you're having to overtake a lot of cars, you won't gain much advantage anyway because the roads are presumably busy. Except on the motorway, journeys where I've been constantly overtaking stuff rarely get me to my destination any faster than if I didn't bother - the cars usually end up behind me at the lights/ a roundabout. Obviously it's different if a car is going very slowly or it's just one car slowing you down on a clear road, but usually a 60bhp will handle that fine, just in a little more time than something more powerful.

If you work the gears, there's plenty of grunt to maintain a good speed even with hills, and on the flat there's no problem whatsoever cruising at 85.

Clearly you like to drive and you like your powerful cars and MPG doesn't bother you: great. Good for you. But posting fatuous comments about how everyone needs massive engines isn't really helpful to a seventeen year-old complaining about cabin noise. A lot of people are concerned about price and MPG, and don't have the time, money, inclination or ability to have a fleet of classic cars which they maintain themselves. If that floats your boat, I'm very happy for you, but don't sneer at people who aren't too fussed.

All the above is from my experience of the 60hp car I first drove, my instructor's when I was learning and my current car (both in the 90s bhp-wise), and the many journeys I've had in much faster cars.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by michael321
You can make perfectly decent progress with 60bhp. Overtaking is a chore on a single-carriageway, but in my experience if you're having to overtake a lot of cars, you won't gain much advantage anyway because the roads are presumably busy. Except on the motorway, journeys where I've been constantly overtaking stuff rarely get me to my destination any faster than if I didn't bother - the cars usually end up behind me at the lights/ a roundabout. Obviously it's different if a car is going very slowly or it's just one car slowing you down on a clear road, but usually a 60bhp will handle that fine, just in a little more time than something more powerful.

If you work the gears, there's plenty of grunt to maintain a good speed even with hills, and on the flat there's no problem whatsoever cruising at 85.

Clearly you like to drive and you like your powerful cars and MPG doesn't bother you: great. Good for you. But posting fatuous comments about how everyone needs massive engines isn't really helpful to a seventeen year-old complaining about cabin noise. A lot of people are concerned about price and MPG, and don't have the time, money, inclination or ability to have a fleet of classic cars which they maintain themselves. If that floats your boat, I'm very happy for you, but don't sneer at people who aren't too fussed.

All the above is from my experience of the 60hp car I first drove, my instructor's when I was learning and my current car (both in the 90s bhp-wise), and the many journeys I've had in much faster cars.

Sorry dude, but anything with a tiny engine is a waste of money.
The idea you can make reasonable progress with 60bhp is utter nonsense. With that little grunt it'll have a crap chassis, be noisy on the motorway as it'll be pretty much flat out at motorway cruising speeds, which won't make for a relaxing drive in the slightest.

You need at least 2.5 litres under the bonnet to cruise in any degree of comfort.

I've had everything from an '83 1.3 litre MG metro, via a Porsche 911 to a 5.3 litre Jaguar XJ12 and about 50 other things in between, so i'd like to think I've got enough experience to know what's worth buying and what isn't.

You want to rock round in a 1 point bugger all litre engined car, go for it. But let's not pretend it's useful for anything more than popping down the shops.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by JC.
Sorry dude, but anything with a tiny engine is a waste of money.
The idea you can make reasonable progress with 60bhp is utter nonsense. With that little grunt it'll have a crap chassis, be noisy on the motorway as it'll be pretty much flat out at motorway cruising speeds, which won't make for a relaxing drive in the slightest.

You need at least 2.5 litres under the bonnet to cruise in any degree of comfort.

I've had everything from an '83 1.3 litre MG metro, via a Porsche 911 to a 5.3 litre Jaguar XJ12 and about 50 other things in between, so i'd like to think I've got enough experience to know what's worth buying and what isn't.

You want to rock round in a 1 point bugger all litre engined car, go for it. But let's not pretend it's useful for anything more than popping down the shops.

You have enough experience to form a very subjective opinion on cars based on your personal viewpoint, which is all you've done.

If you want to regularly cruise in massive comfort down the motorway, a 60bhp car is not for you, no. But the idea that it's "not useful for anything more than popping down the shops" is just ridiculous. When I had a 1ltr it was perfectly happy cruising at 60 along country roads near my house, and driving at 80 on the motorway for a few hours every now and then. Sure, it was noisy, but it coped just fine. If I could manage a sustained 80mph (and it could have done more - that's just my general motorway cruising speed) in my old car, how the hell is the "idea that you can make reasonable progress in a 1ltr" total "nonsense"? Could you tell me how I was failing to "make progress"?

I'm sorry but I just think you're exaggerating massively. The only things a 1ltr can't really do are afford much comfort at high speeds, overtake regularly on a single-carriageway, and give you loads of fun. But a 1ltr can still be a useful car fulfilling all the practical functions of something bigger.
My take on car outputs. All cars should have sufficient power-to-weight ratios and should have a fairly linear torque delivery, buying an underpowered car is generally a false economy simply because you have to rev and stress it more to get it moving and where you cruise then it is usually at a higher rpm than a bigger cc version of the same car. Even if you say it is only used in towns, there is still the danger where you can't quickly get out of harms way where you make a mistake, where a higher cc car may get you up to speed quicker and let you merge or past the danger zone, the smaller engine may just leave you a few seconds back.

Whenever I get a car, I don't really bother that I may have to pay more in taxes or in fuel but the barest minimum :-

Polo sized car : 1.4 - 1.6l with at least 100ps and 130nm, preferably with a wide but linear torque band.

Golf sized car : 1.8 - 2.0l with at least 150ps and 200nm. Ideally I prefer it to be closer to 180ps and 250nm.

Passat or 3 series sized car. 2.5 - 3.0l at least 200ps and 250nm, but if I have to do long distance on mountain roads then I'd like it to have closer to 250ps and 350-400nm.

a full sized SUV at bare minimum it should be a V6 but better if it is a V8, 500nm is the bare minimum.
Reply 16
Original post by michael321
You have enough experience to form a very subjective opinion on cars based on your personal viewpoint, which is all you've done.

If you want to regularly cruise in massive comfort down the motorway, a 60bhp car is not for you, no. But the idea that it's "not useful for anything more than popping down the shops" is just ridiculous. When I had a 1ltr it was perfectly happy cruising at 60 along country roads near my house, and driving at 80 on the motorway for a few hours every now and then. Sure, it was noisy, but it coped just fine. If I could manage a sustained 80mph (and it could have done more - that's just my general motorway cruising speed) in my old car, how the hell is the "idea that you can make reasonable progress in a 1ltr" total "nonsense"? Could you tell me how I was failing to "make progress"?

I'm sorry but I just think you're exaggerating massively. The only things a 1ltr can't really do are afford much comfort at high speeds, overtake regularly on a single-carriageway, and give you loads of fun. But a 1ltr can still be a useful car fulfilling all the practical functions of something bigger.

A 1 litre hatchback is nothing more than a shopping trolley. They aren't meant for much more than going down asda and dropping the kids off at school.

If that's all you want a car for then go ahead and buy one. For anything else, there's better things to buy.

A 1 litre hatchback is so glacially slow to accelerate it's dangerous. You can't really expect an engine to lug a ton and a half worth of ****box around when it'd be much more at home in a generator powering the lights on a construction site.

Less than 2.0 litres and less than 6 cylinders is a waste of raw materials.
Reply 17
Original post by JC.

???

Why would you think that?

6 cylinders are more generally used for high power cars, and 6 cylinders are designed to work most efficiently at high revs.

A straight 5 is much much better suited to road driving.

Everyone should stop complaining about the lack of power that some cars have, there is a reason that people make cars with low power, because they are cheap to make, cheap to buy and cheap to run.

There is nothing wrong with having 60hp if you're happy with it, personally I wouldn't be, but I think for some people it would be fine.
Reply 18
Original post by enzoalex
???

Why would you think that?

6 cylinders are more generally used for high power cars, and 6 cylinders are designed to work most efficiently at high revs.

A straight 5 is much much better suited to road driving.

Everyone should stop complaining about the lack of power that some cars have, there is a reason that people make cars with low power, because they are cheap to make, cheap to buy and cheap to run.

There is nothing wrong with having 60hp if you're happy with it, personally I wouldn't be, but I think for some people it would be fine.

Point taken. I had a Volvo 2 litre 20 valve 5 pot a while back and that was a laugh. Would easily spin the wheels into third gear too. In terms of styling it looked like grandad out for a sunday drive, but it was such a laugh on welsh B roads!
Original post by JC.
A 1 litre hatchback is nothing more than a shopping trolley. They aren't meant for much more than going down asda and dropping the kids off at school.

If that's all you want a car for then go ahead and buy one. For anything else, there's better things to buy.

A 1 litre hatchback is so glacially slow to accelerate it's dangerous. You can't really expect an engine to lug a ton and a half worth of ****box around when it'd be much more at home in a generator powering the lights on a construction site.

Ffs...

There may be "better things to buy" but that isn't the argument. The argument is whether a 1ltr is good enough for everything a car needs to do, bar provide fun, and it is. I have explained everything the old 1ltr I hhad could do, and I can't see what was lacking bar comfort at high speeds, and fun.

At town speeds there's plenty of acceleration, and above those, there are very few situations where you'd need power to get out of danger, and where maneuvreing/braking would not suffice. Besides, if you want to talk safety, don't you have quite a few classics with no abs/airbags/collapsible steering column and milk-bottle tops for brakes? So long as the driver is decent, the lack of power is no danger.

I know there are nicer engines than 1ltr petrols. But if you want low insurance to start out, and donl't have the knowhow, time or money for the tens of classics you seem to have, they are a perfectly capable option. If you can't accept that after all the evidence I'ce presented, you're just being stubborn for it's own sake.

Quick Reply

Latest