Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Theists. Does this do anything to your consciousness?

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Theists. Does this do anything to you consciousness?

I direct this question more to literalists and fundamentals who read the Bible literally. Others of course are welcome to comment.
    Let me point out that I think of the Bible as a book of wisdom that it is a consolidation of many of the older religions of that day and is a good book to help us seek God by analyzing the old myths. If read literally, the reader will miss out on the rather wonderful thinking stimulated by it and miss the purpose that the book was put together point to. I do not disrespect it but have little respect for literal readers for that reason. They end up idol worshiping a book of myths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYigm...ature=youtu.be

This scholar speaks to the archeology that is killing the historicity of the Bible.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0864215926514#

This scholar is showing the plagiarizing and or forgeries of scriptures.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mpHp...mbedded#at=437

It is interesting to note that both of these prominent scholars came from fundamentalist religions before their research, as well as the scholars they quote, changed their overall views.

They, like myself do not want to dissuade the search for God but only want to point out that God may be bigger than the pigeon hole/Bible that theist have put him in. As a religionist, to me, God is big enough to be everyone’s God. Not just a chosen few. Theists should like this notion because then, God, if real, remains now, as in the beginning, master of all and not just master of some.

Regards
    DL
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why does your title say "Theist's" but your post only tackles a Single Religion.

It's very misleading.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Why does your title say "Theist's" but your post only tackles a Single Religion.

It's very misleading.
    the·ism   /ˈθiɪzəm/ Show Spelled[thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation ( distinguished from deism).
    2. belief in the existence of a god or gods ( opposed to atheism).

Not to most and 99% of those who will read this are Christians.

Regards
    DL
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatest I am)
    noun
    1. the belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation ( distinguished from deism).

Not to most and 99% of those who will read this are Christians.

Regards
    DL
    Not at all, in TSR Christians are a Minority.

80% of active posters are Atheist, then the second biggest demographic are Muslims.
    Very few active Christians here really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wait, is that third video from a user called "MuslimByChoice"? Is the OP really using a video preaching for Islam as a proof against Theists? Or even Christians?

EDIT: Short answer - not really. I don't believe in God because there's no reason not to. I don't even believe in God because it makes life simpler or better or easier or answers questions for me. I believe in God despite numerous questions and problems. Anyone who believes in God without questions or doubts is either a moron or a liar. So pointing out more questions really doesn't change much for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Wait, is that third video from a user called "MuslimByChoice"? Is the OP really using a video preaching for Islam as a proof against Theists? Or even Christians?

EDIT: Short answer - not really. I don't believe in God because there's no reason not to. I don't even believe in God because it makes life simpler or better or easier or answers questions for me. I believe in God despite numerous questions and problems. Anyone who believes in God without questions or doubts is either a moron or a liar. So pointing out more questions really doesn't change much for me.
    LOL. OP clearly hasnt thought this through.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

80% of active posters are Atheist, then the second biggest demographic are Muslims.
    You may be right.
    Not surprising then that the pope as well as other Christian hierarchies are trying to motivate their apologists to come to the battle field.
    The more science progresses, the fewer of their arguments are shown to hold water though.

I guess that the slide away from those religions will continue.

Regards
    DL
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Being Muslin, Christian or whatever, does not change the archeology found and as a scholar, all that he shows would be peer reviewed for accuracy and that is how his information should be judged. Not on if he is Muslim or not.
    If you want to think it automatically bogus then by all means do.

If you will only believe Christians then try this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84...st-1-of-3_news

Regards
    DL
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblehoneybee)
    LOL. OP clearly hasnt thought this through.
    I just did not care as I do not discriminate based on nationality or race.

Einstein was a German yet even the Jews know he was right.

Regards
    DL
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Being Muslin, Christian or whatever, does not change the archeology found and as a scholar, all that he shows would be peer reviewed for accuracy and that is how his information should be judged. Not on if he is Muslim or not.
    If you want to think it automatically bogus then by all means do.

If you will only believe Christians then try this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84...st-1-of-3_news

Regards
    DL
    I instinctively find anything bogus if it comes from a youtube video. And if the youtube video is a muslim scholar attacking Christians then its doubly bogus. If it is peer-reviewed then show me the peer-reviewed paper. Videos which can be uploaded by anyone and be of anyone saying anything are hardly a proof of anything.

I'm sure you'll agree I could post you hundreds of videos of various people "proving" Christianity correct through archaeology.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a "Theist" but not a christian. OP is very misinformed.

noun
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

*raises hand*
    Je suis a Christian!

However I don't really understand the OP and am not patient enough to watch clips so will now leave this thread, Have fun
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Regards
    DL
    Fair enough. I thought you simply did a quick youtube search.

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I instinctively find anything bogus if it comes from a youtube video. And if the youtube video is a muslim scholar attacking Christians then its doubly bogus. If it is peer-reviewed then show me the peer-reviewed paper. Videos which can be uploaded by anyone and be of anyone saying anything are hardly a proof of anything.

I'm sure you'll agree I could post you hundreds of videos of various people "proving" Christianity correct through archaeology.
    True to a point. The internet, like the Bible can be used to say damned near anything. The U S south used it to justify slavery while the north used it to condemn it.

That being said, I think that the only way to judge the veracity of any scriptures is on it's moral value.

For that, I tend to agree with this and if you wish to debate on morals, something that might actually go somewhere for us, then do so and we may get past our impasse.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevent bully."
    Richard Dawkins.

Regards
    DL
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena21)
    I'm a "Theist" but not a christian. OP is very misinformed.

noun
    Your lack of information indicates that you do not wish to continue.
    If not, let's have your story and POV.
    Know in advance that if your God is based on fantasy, miracles and magic, we will not likely get far.
    If you open something on morals, something I like to debate, then we may get somewhere as long as you do not say, as Christians do with the genocide of Noah's day, Moral or not, that God can do anything he likes because he is God.

Regards
    DL
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IPlayThePiccolo)
    *raises hand*
    Je suis a Christian!

However I don't really understand the OP and am not patient enough to watch clips so will now leave this thread, Have fun
    A shame. The French are usually bright.

Au revoir et a prochaine.

Regards
    DL
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A shame. The French are usually bright.

Au revoir et a prochaine.

Regards
    DL
    I'm not French, I just wish I was. :rolleyes:
    I am sorta bright just not on matters of theology and philosophy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Regards
    DL
    why do you write "regards DL" on every single post?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobcat7)
    why do you write "regards DL" on every single post?
    Because he is polite?

Gasp...
    Regards
    TMS
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    True to a point. The internet, like the Bible can be used to say damned near anything. The U S south used it to justify slavery while the north used it to condemn it.

That being said, I think that the only way to judge the veracity of any scriptures is on it's moral value.

For that, I tend to agree with this and if you wish to debate on morals, something that might actually go somewhere for us, then do so and we may get past our impasse.

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevent bully."
    Richard Dawkins.

Regards
    DL
    So you're now changing the thread to a different discussion?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 14, 2011
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.