The Student Room Group

Pharmacy or Chemical Engineering

Im going to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths at A2, but cannot decide wheather to do chemical engineering or pharmacy.

I like chemistry and maths, but i wouldnt say im that good at it im like at a grade B level and i understand in chem eng there is alot of maths which is one of the reasons i cant decide whether i want to do it. However the pay is great and there is alot of jobs in different industries. Also i dont do physics so i dont know if i will like the course or not and the last thing i want to do is drop out :frown:

I wouldnt mind doing pharmacy because there is less maths, but most of the good unis (london school of pharmacy, kingd college) want a grade B in english GCSE, wheras i got a C!!! So i cant really get into a good uni for it even if i do get AAB or ABB in my A levels.

This is so fustrating and i cant deicde what to do?! if someone does study chem eng currently as was in my situation, please give me some advice? is the physics that hard? and do you think you have to be an A/A* maths student to be able to cope with the course?

Thanks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ben1994
Im going to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths at A2, but cannot decide wheather to do chemical engineering or pharmacy.

I like chemistry and maths, but i wouldnt say im that good at it im like at a grade B level and i understand in chem eng there is alot of maths which is one of the reasons i cant decide whether i want to do it. However the pay is great and there is alot of jobs in different industries. Also i dont do physics so i dont know if i will like the course or not and the last thing i want to do is drop out :frown:

I wouldnt mind doing pharmacy because there is less maths, but most of the good unis (london school of pharmacy, kingd college) want a grade B in english GCSE, wheras i got a C!!! So i cant really get into a good uni for it even if i do get AAB or ABB in my A levels.

This is so fustrating and i cant deicde what to do?! if someone does study chem eng currently as was in my situation, please give me some advice? is the physics that hard? and do you think you have to be an A/A* maths student to be able to cope with the course?

Thanks.

Why don't you just resit your english GCSE and get a B? Is that not an option?
You could then apply to KCL, LSOP....
Reply 2
Well, no not really, i cant really retake it when doing A2 because i have to basically get AAB, and i doubt i will be able to take on another exam when trying to get these grades. Do you think if i got the A2 grades needed for KCL and LSOP and applied i will have a chance of getting a place, or would they not even bother looking at my application if i didnt get a B at Eng lang GCSE?
Original post by ben1994
Well, no not really, i cant really retake it when doing A2 because i have to basically get AAB, and i doubt i will be able to take on another exam when trying to get these grades. Do you think if i got the A2 grades needed for KCL and LSOP and applied i will have a chance of getting a place, or would they not even bother looking at my application if i didnt get a B at Eng lang GCSE?

Its hard to say. It is Eng Lang which is more of an issue than Eng Lit. And I know people who applied this year and had the grades but didn't even get interviewed. Its extremely competitive. Its possible to resit the GCSE in November. So you should try that, I mean comparing it to to A2, GCSE's would definitely seem easy now and you wouldn't need to put that much time into revising etc.
Right now, I guess I would say that your best shot would be to call them and see what they say. Whether it would be a straight off rejection after looking at your application or if they would consider you.
chemical engineering is not really like pharmacy at all and it's suprizing how little chemistry is actually in it. It's mostly maths and as far as I know, has more physics in it than chemistry. But I'm sure if you try and put the hours in and work hard you will find it very rewarding.

I'm thinking of doing it entry 2012, just waiting for my AS results fingers crossed :smile:
What have your past module grades been if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 5
Original post by luketaylor777
chemical engineering is not really like pharmacy at all and it's suprizing how little chemistry is actually in it. It's mostly maths and as far as I know, has more physics in it than chemistry. But I'm sure if you try and put the hours in and work hard you will find it very rewarding.

I'm thinking of doing it entry 2012, just waiting for my AS results fingers crossed :smile:
What have your past module grades been if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah thats why i had a problem choosing because its more maths and physics based, but i have decided to choose it :smile:

And my january module grades wern't so great, i got 4 B's :/
Im so nervous for my AS grades!
What about yours?
Reply 6
Also what unis are you thinking of applying to? :smile:
Original post by ben1994
Yeah thats why i had a problem choosing because its more maths and physics based, but i have decided to choose it :smile:

And my january module grades wern't so great, i got 4 B's :/
Im so nervous for my AS grades!
What about yours?

Those grades should be good enough asling as you work hard next year :smile:

Me too, Results day tomorrow!!!!! so nervous/exited :confused:
I got AAC in chemistry biology and physics but my physics was one mark off a B so I'm not too worried fingers crossed

Sorry for time taken to reply, I'm in the Philippines at the moment :smile:
Good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 8
Ahh same mate, so nervous! Thanks and good luck to you as well:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending