The Student Room Group

rah girl rioter

Scroll to see replies

Let the girl come to Oz and Simon Adebisi will punish her to the full extent of the law.
Original post by bbq1948

Original post by bbq1948
Laura Johnson, the 19-year-old daughter of a successful company director. She lives in a detached converted farmhouse in Orpington, Kent, with extensive grounds and a tennis court.

She is an English and Italian undergraduate at Exeter, favourite of the Boden-wearing classes. Before that, she attended St Olave’s Grammar, the fourth-best state school in the country, and its sister school, Newstead Wood, gaining nine GCSE A grades and four A*s.

At St Olave’s, she studied A-levels in French, English literature, geography and classical civilisation. Yesterday, at Highbury, she was accused of something slightly less civilised looting the Charlton Curry’s superstore of electrical goods worth £5,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8694494/UK-riots-David-Cameron-condemns-sick-society-as-grammar-school-girl-in-court-over-riots.html

...The awkward moment when you go onto the studentroom and find out that the rich rioter girl went to your secondary school and sixth form :ninja:.
Reply 182
Original post by Evangelica
...The awkward moment when you go onto the studentroom and find out that the rich rioter girl went to your secondary school and sixth form :ninja:.

Gosh, the thread is alive with St Olavians! (If that's the correct name for them?)

What's it like at the school? Is there any gossip churning about Laura on the school tweeting mills?
I genuinely can't get my head round what possessed her to do it.
Original post by Fires

Original post by Fires
Gosh, the thread is alive with St Olavians! (If that's the correct name for them?)

What's it like at the school? Is there any gossip churning about Laura on the school tweeting mills?

Not really, no. I'm surprised actually! However, I wasn't even at the school at the same time as her. (Also yes that's the right name :lol:)
Reply 185
Original post by Evangelica
Not really, no. I'm surprised actually! However, I wasn't even at the school at the same time as her. (Also yes that's the right name :lol:)

What is it like at the school? Are there are other examples of dreadful behaviour from very wealthy girls there? :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by Stressworthy
I genuinely can't get my head round what possessed her to do it.

Because 'class' is not necessarily to do with social class. Not a class thing to do.
Reply 187
I didn't mean to neg that post... now why won't it let me undo it :/
Original post by Fires

Original post by Fires
What is it like at the school? Are there are other examples of dreadful behaviour from very wealthy girls there? :smile:

It's a boys' school until sixth form. Newstead (where she went before) is the girls' equivalent. At Newstead I wouldn't say anyone was dreadfully behaved. Olave's is much stricter. Inside school, everyone's well behaved most of the time. A toe or two out of line and you're looking at expulsion; a few guys in my year have been expelled. Aside from Olavians dating Newsteadians drama, not much exciting happens.
Is it only myself who has noticed the irony that the term rah seems only to be used by people of a more affluent demographic. that is the case in my area anyway, correct me if im wrong.
Reply 190
the media keep on refering the riots as being a class issue and the rioters being youths failed by education. looks like she is an exception or a reflection of the media being wrong
Original post by Fires

Yeah I go there and am in the sixth form- she seems vaguely familiar to me. Really there is a pretty large gap in terms of how well of the people who go there are. You get peoiple like her, and then you get people who are definitiely working class.

The girls in general do drink in parties etc. and like to have a laugh. Some smoke, but this is a minority. I cannot think of many who would loot. On average, they seem to care quite a lot about academics and know their boundaries.

Those who get expelled are all boys.
Reply 192
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Yeah I go there and am in the sixth form- she seems vaguely familiar to me. Really there is a pretty large gap in terms of how well of the people who go there are. You get peoiple like her, and then you get people who are definitiely working class.

The girls in general do drink in parties etc. and like to have a laugh. Some smoke, but this is a minority. I cannot think of many who would loot. On average, they seem to care quite a lot about academics and know their boundaries.

Those who get expelled are all boys.

Would you say our "heroine", Laura, is in amongst the wealthiest who go there, from what you can tell? Or are the affluent ones a pretty rich crowd? I get the impression that area is pretty wealthy generally, but like you say, contains areas that are not.
Original post by Fires
Would you say our "heroine", Laura, is in amongst the wealthiest who go there, from what you can tell? Or are the affluent ones a pretty rich crowd? I get the impression that area is pretty wealthy generally, but like you say, contains areas that are not.

I can only comment on those who I know, and yeah there are some really rich ppl in my year, like people who buy £80 shirts, who have parents who are hotel owners, heads of other organisations, and have jobs which enable them to own watch collections/3 cars/ and 2 holidays every yr, whilst still spoiling their children with expensive gadgets etc.
I would say some of those were millionaires, but most woyuld probs get £200 000+/year. I would say Laura is probs top 5, from what I know.

Then u got the people who come from rough areas of lewisham catford, and peckham, who have to work part time jobs just to have enough food in their fridge.
Some areas of orpington are also ****
However, I'd say the majority were middle class, who have parents who are company employees, doctors, engineers, etc. and are generally well off.
Despite these boundaries in wealth, you ahve groups where the richest are good friends with some of the poorest, so there is absolutely no tension

In terms of working class/middle class/ upper class
I'd say the ratio is around: 25/65/10 from what I know
but in general it is a pretty wel off school
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by issyconnor
Her dad's a millionaire and her house looks huuugggeee!!

I know I'm just making sure people know not all grammar school students are posh.
Sounds a little like you're saying the others have more of a reason to do it :teehee: but I get where you're coming from :yep:. Silly silly girl... had so many amazing opportunities in life and she's blown them all :sadnod:
Reply 196
Original post by Sazzy890
Sounds a little like you're saying the others have more of a reason to do it :teehee: but I get where you're coming from :yep:. Silly silly girl... had so many amazing opportunities in life and she's blown them all :sadnod:

The whole thing is so bizarre. To be honest (and I know people will dislike this comment) I actually feel pretty sorry for her. I mean I assume this was some kind of "moment of madness" thing that came into her head and it's really, really wierd for a girl from her privileged background to be engaged in something like this. Let's hope it's not even worse than we think and drugs or something are at the bottom of it.
Original post by Fires

I suspect the attitude of Oxbridge colleges to this type of thing is based on arrogance, eg, screw the press, we are superior mortals and our students are precious darlings who, if they wish, may certainly commit whatever crimes they see fit, etc. Given that many Dons are hardly saintly characters themselves, they probably fear the escalator effect.

I don't understand why any university would necessarily expel a student for breaking the law: their punishment is given out by the courts, not their university.
Reply 198
Bringing the university's reputation in to disrepute?

Some people may not want their precious darling children mixing with thugs and law breaking thieves and so will not send them to an institution that has a reputation for educating such ruffians.
Reply 199
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't understand why any university would necessarily expel a student for breaking the law: their punishment is given out by the courts, not their university.

I know they can do in America, or even if the student is found to be in violation of the honour code.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending