The Student Room Group

rah girl rioter

Laura Johnson, the 19-year-old daughter of a successful company director. She lives in a detached converted farmhouse in Orpington, Kent, with extensive grounds and a tennis court.

She is an English and Italian undergraduate at Exeter, favourite of the Boden-wearing classes. Before that, she attended St Olave’s Grammar, the fourth-best state school in the country, and its sister school, Newstead Wood, gaining nine GCSE A grades and four A*s.

At St Olave’s, she studied A-levels in French, English literature, geography and classical civilisation. Yesterday, at Highbury, she was accused of something slightly less civilised looting the Charlton Curry’s superstore of electrical goods worth £5,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8694494/UK-riots-David-Cameron-condemns-sick-society-as-grammar-school-girl-in-court-over-riots.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Clearly a opportunistic.
Wow, what a silly girl.
I bet Daddy is so proud.
Reply 4
The lower-class rioters ransacked Pound Land, middle-class rioters ransack Curry's. I'm wondering if the upper-class would ransack Fortnum & Masons, or just set their dogs loose and go fox hunting in London.
Reply 5
Wow, can't help thinking a criminal record's not going to hurt her as much as if she had a poor background tho'. She'll have a gold plated lawyer and probably her daddy can still pull a few strings and get her a nice job after anyway.
Original post by bbq1948
Laura Johnson, the 19-year-old daughter of a successful company director. She lives in a detached converted farmhouse in Orpington, Kent, with extensive grounds and a tennis court.

She is an English and Italian undergraduate at Exeter, favourite of the Boden-wearing classes. Before that, she attended St Olave’s Grammar, the fourth-best state school in the country, and its sister school, Newstead Wood, gaining nine GCSE A grades and four A*s.

At St Olave’s, she studied A-levels in French, English literature, geography and classical civilisation. Yesterday, at Highbury, she was accused of something slightly less civilised looting the Charlton Curry’s superstore of electrical goods worth £5,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8694494/UK-riots-David-Cameron-condemns-sick-society-as-grammar-school-girl-in-court-over-riots.html

Oh you beat me to it, well my thread was quite general anway. Also I agree this is shocking.

Original post by Joinedup
Wow, can't help thinking a criminal record's not going to hurt her as much as if she had a poor background tho'. She'll have a gold plated lawyer and probably her daddy can still pull a few strings and get her a nice job after anyway.

In this day and age a criminal record is pretty damaging, especially one for five counts of burglary. Pulling a few strings can only go so far, she may not be able to work with money nor a multinational company. Although I am sure she could work for someones family firm.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by maze.e
Oh you beat me to it, well my thread was quite general anway. Also I agree this is shocking.

In this day and age a criminal record is pretty damaging, especially one for five counts of burglary. Pulling a few strings can only go so far, she may not be able to work with money nor a multinational company. Although I am sure she could work for someones family firm.

sorry :hugs:

yes, hopefully she won't get away with it I can't see her university being to thrilled about it tbh, but you are probably right about the family firm thing
Reply 8
How bizarre. Why?? Swept up in the excitement?
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup

Sad but most likely true. Just go to show that alot of people were just doing it because they thought it would be fun and have to regard to others.
Reply 10
I hope the uni chucks her out,
Reply 11
I think it will be quite damaging for her, considering the notoriety of the riots, most decent people are disgusted by what took place, and as soon as she is associated with it her name will be mud.

Of course as it has been stated no doubt daddy will have some connections and secure her a job somewhere, but she will never receive full trust, and her career will go nowhere fast.
And no doubt her peers will take every opportunity to remind her of her foolishness. tough luck girly.
Reply 12
Now she's been named and shamed I can imagine she may also lose a lot of friends.
She has a lot to lose, despite a promising start. She was incredibly silly. Or maybe she just thought with all that money and power from her dad she'd be immune?
Reply 13
Original post by Philbert

agreed, realistically that's about the only punishment she is going to get, if she even gets any at all
Reply 14
Original post by Philbert

I bet they won't though - even Charlie Gilmour wasn't chucked out of Girton for his day of famous anarchy.

There will probably be lots of stories like this - once social order totally breaks down and loot appears to (at least superficially) be "available" for "free", many apparently reasonable citizens lose their marbles and get in there with the street. The same phenomenon has been observed in the US and other countries where similar events have transpired.

What is quite difficult is trying to imagine why she felt so deprived that she needed to grab a load of gear? Perhaps Daddy keeps her on a financial leash she finds oppressive, allowance too small or something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by moody_bum
Now she's been named and shamed I can imagine she may also lose a lot of friends.
She has a lot to lose, despite a promising start. She was incredibly silly. Or maybe she just thought with all that money and power from her dad she'd be immune?

I tried to find her on Facebook, but couldn't - maybe it's been taken off. I bet she's on TSR, if skillful keyword searchers can oblige!
Original post by bbq1948
sorry :hugs:

yes, hopefully she won't get away with it I can't see her university being to thrilled about it tbh, but you are probably right about the family firm thing

No worries. I am just shocked at the rioters broad range of background, I just assumed it was the underclass, but it seems the cast majority Britain is represented among the rioters in an equal normal distribution. With the working class being the largest then middle and a few upper-middle class rioters like the woman the OP is referring to.

Original post by Fires
What is quite difficult is trying to imagine why she felt so deprived that she needed to grab a load of gear? Perhaps Daddy keeps her on a financial leash she finds oppressive, allowance too small or something.

The fact that the looted items were found in her car shows her intent in stealing the items, I just think its our consumer culture gone mad. It's all about I want this and that and I want it NOW!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
:facepalm:
Reply 18
Original post by maze.e
The fact that the looted items were found in her car shows her intent in stealing the items, I just think its our consumer culture gone mad. It's all about I want this and that and I want it NOW!

And she still pleaded not guilty? Oh dear.
Really hate the word 'rah'

Quick Reply

Latest