Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

problem with internship...help?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi folks.

am currently at a bb in sales and absolutely hating it. as far as i can see, sales people add so little value to anyone, often screwing up what the traders/clients wish to convey and acting as a crap middle (wo)man in search of some kickback in sales credits.

so my basic question is how difficult is it to turn a sales internship into a trading grad offer. i'm absolutely delighted to be in the area im in and thoroughly enjoy the content, i just think sales is a joke and cannot see how any of your skills are in any way transferable. sure you need to know the product (to a basic degree), but even so as a junior you're not actually doing anything all day aside from relaying information back and forth and the client relationship role (beyond fake friendliness on ib chat) appears to only be open to those of a certain seniority obtained after a long period of doing sod all.

any advice, much appreciated.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What client group and product?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The skills are very transferable. You need to remember that you're an intern.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludovic_88)
    i'm absolutely delighted to be in the area im in and thoroughly enjoy the content, i just think sales is a joke and cannot see how any of your skills are in any way transferable.
    If you think sales skills aren't transferrable, wait til you try trading.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So managing relationships and knowing enough about everything (I'm in generalist sales) to convince them that you're the kinda guy they want to trade with aren't transferrable skills?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maggieffc)
    So managing relationships and knowing enough about everything (I'm in generalist sales) to convince them that you're the kinda guy they want to trade with aren't transferrable skills?
    ar*e licking may be the only transferable bit. as far as i can see, forwarding research on a blanket basis before saying 'done' twice is not transferable
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this bolloccks about managing relationship is just garbage that people in sales talk about so as to cover up how unbelievably unnecessary the majority of them are
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    this bolloccks about managing relationship is just garbage that people in sales talk about so as to cover up how unbelievably unnecessary the majority of them are
    Tell me about it hahaha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ar*e licking may be the only transferable bit. as far as i can see, forwarding research on a blanket basis before saying 'done' twice is not transferable
    I might have said the same after a day or two. In fact one thing I asked when first starting out was 'so what are we actually for?'

Since then, however, it seems to have clicked. In one way or another it just boils down to being good with people. Arselicking? Maybe a bit - but overdo it and the client isn't exactly going to be impressed. If you guys are forwarding research on a blanket basis then there's something wrong somewhere. Being selective and relevant, knowing your client and your research inside out and generally being a convincing counter-party is the art of it.

If you don't see it that way then maybe you'd be best off as a trader or researcher.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 14, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.