The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Lucy Cavendish College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey, I will be doing a graduate masters in Human Evolutionary Sciences and was just found out I was pooled to Lucy Cavendish, could someone please allay my fears that the entire college is just full of much older women and is all very quiet and dull?

I actually started crying when I found out which college I was going to...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Lahanna
Hey, I will be doing a graduate masters in Human Evolutionary Sciences and was just found out I was pooled to Lucy Cavendish, could someone please allay my fears that the entire college is just full of much older women and is all very quiet and dull?

Alternatively, it could be said that you have the best of both worlds. Because, just as older women are all quiet and dull, young men are all unhygienic barf machines who destroy communal bathrooms and ruin kitchens :wink: So at Lucy Cav you get to live in salubrious, education focussed accommodation, but the excesses of student life are right there on your doorstep as soon as you leave college. You are entirely the master/mistress of how debauched or dignified your life is, because you have access to all areas!
Reply 22
I really don't understand why there is so much hatred for Lucy Cavendish College especially when it is only based on vague perceptions. It is another story to be well informed and to have had personal experience that would contribute to such animosity.

However, for those concerned about their college membership at Lucy based on sheer ignorance; I suggest that you get in touch with students currently there and try to learn as much as possible about college life.

And then post it here and bring the discussion to TSR to help dispel or back up false reputations about Lucy.

http://www.lucy-cav.cam.ac.uk/
Reply 23
threeportdrift
Alternatively, it could be said that you have the best of both worlds. Because, just as older women are all quiet and dull, young men are all unhygienic barf machines who destroy communal bathrooms and ruin kitchens :wink: So at Lucy Cav you get to live in salubrious, education focussed accommodation, but the excesses of student life are right there on your doorstep as soon as you leave college. You are entirely the master/mistress of how debauched or dignified your life is, because you have access to all areas!

I didn't think to look at it like that... Any pictures I've seen of Lucy seems to show that it's really pretty, and the gardens seem so nice. I guess it will become a home I return to, rather then the center of my social whirl. Then again, with all the work I have, that will probably be a good thing!

Thank you!

siaraid
I suggest that you get in touch with students currently there and try to learn as much as possible about college life.

I did try that, but it's a lil difficult. The only way to really find out a way to contact the students would be through the facebook groups, but I hate to be so random as to go 'Hi, I noticed your name on Facebook, could you tell me what life is like at Lucy?'
Reply 24
When I went for interview all of the other candidates were around my age group (mid-twenties) so I wouldn't say that it was all old women at all.

I too fail to understand all the negativity surrounding LC. They have their own bar, gym, music room, halls, library, rowing club etc, and if there's something that you want to do that is based elsewhere there is nothing to stop you from going.

There is an open day for Lucy Cavendish in July. I'm sure you'll feel much better after a visit.
Reply 25
Lahanna
I did try that, but it's a lil difficult. The only way to really find out a way to contact the students would be through the facebook groups, but I hate to be so random as to go 'Hi, I noticed your name on Facebook, could you tell me what life is like at Lucy?'

Re: What's life like at Lucy?

If you actually go to the college website, like I previously posted, you will find a section devoted to "Students." In this section under "Student Union" you will find contacts of the "2008-2009 Executive Committee." As Student Union representatives it is the responsiblity of these students to field your questions and concerns about life at Lucy and you should not hesitate to contact them in such matters.

Graduate Representative Margaret Wilson (msw37) = [email protected].

Vice President Jane Anderson (jna23) = [email protected].

President Sara Jackson (slj40) = [email protected]. Also, under "Clubs and Societies" it lists Student Association President Sara Jackson's alternative contact [email protected].

And, while your at it, check out the pictures of the "Boat Club" and the "College Chior" and the "Lucy Cavendish Players".

Now, does life at Lucy really look that terrible?!
Reply 26
siaraid
Re: What's life like at Lucy?

Now, does life at Lucy really look that terrible?!

Oh, I did actually visit that site and examine the pictures and information intensely - the student profiles seemed people with very different experiences to me, but i guess mothers and older students are thise that need the most convincing. I hadn't noticed that the lists of the commitee contained emails, thank you so much for the info.

I am actually quite excited now, I think it was just the 'Oh wow, all girls??' I went to a convent school, and didn't find an all girl experience fun at all - however over 21 is a big difference to under 18.
Lahanna

I am actually quite excited now, I think it was just the 'Oh wow, all girls??' I went to a convent school, and didn't find an all girl experience fun at all - however over 21 is a big difference to under 18.

It really is totally different to going to an all girls school, the comparison just isn't there. The women's colleges are only (mostly) single sex in terms of the domestic accommodation ie where you (usually) sleep. All your lectures and free time are completely mixed, societies, clubs, additional lectures etc are all mixed. You function in a mixed world, you just go home to clean bathrooms!
Lahanna

I actually started crying when I found out which college I was going to...

from what i've seen of Lucy (summer school and open days), the women are a broad mix of ages from 21 to... the Lucy women i met seemed really down to earth but still have a lively streak too. one of the women i spoke to had moved into a house-share with other Lucy women, so you don't have to spend all your living time in college. And if you really need a change and want to hang out with the men, St Eds is just accross the road.

hey, if i get in, come hang out with me, i promise not to be dull.

:P
entrance exams and interviews at Lucy today.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.

think i really messed up on the teachability section of my interview. we had a piece to read, which then myself and teh DoS discussed. she asked quite a few questiones, which kinda guided me to an answer (socratic learning?)... i've never really had an experience like that before... i was going off on tangents and all sorts, but the questions were like a guide, which led to the conclusion.

but i think i messed up by trying to prove my conclusion right at the end, which may have obscured that i actually did get it.

AARRRGGGHHH.

anyone know how far the exams and interviews are weighted? ie, do they like us to be an all-rounder, or does it matter if we're stronger in one area than another?

Pixie,

(wishing to god i'd completely read the communist manifesto now, not skimmed it... why didn't they ask me about Weber? Why?).
Hi, I had an interview on the 23th as well. Does anyone know when we will find out about the decisions?
Reply 31
I know that some of us have already heard - you should have a letter by now
No still nothing but probably it takes longer because I live in Germany.
Angellunatic
No still nothing but probably it takes longer because I live in Germany.

which course did you apply for?

i'm a PPS student, so we may have found out earlier than you. Amissions tutor told me we'd find out the week beginning the 4th. So if you're a Law applicant, then it may be taking a little longer. Alternatively, international post (coupled with the british bank holiday) may have slowed things for you.

do you have Gaby's email address just incase?

good luck

Pixie x.
Reply 34
Just wondering if those who applied for LC college scholarship have heard anything yet?
siaraid
Just wondering if those who applied for LC college scholarship have heard anything yet?

you mean the bursary for home students?

those generally don't come through until xmas from what i've read. you're billed at the end of term one for your previous eight weeks expenses, so i think the bursary comes at just the right time.

or did you mean a different scholarship?

btw, i could be being dim, i don't arrive til 2010.

there is a more active FaceBook group for Lucy students if that is of use to you?
Reply 36
I was asking about specific studentships and grants offered by Lucy Cavendish College for all graduate students.
Reply 37
Hello!

A newly opened group on FB for Lucy Cavendish freshers
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=34223&pid=36876636#/group.php?gid=116044195987&ref=ts

join!
makako
Hello!

A newly opened group on FB for Lucy Cavendish freshers
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=34223&pid=36876636#/group.php?gid=116044195987&ref=ts

join!

awesomeness, thank you!

am going to join anyway, even though i'm not there for 12 months.
Reply 39
So... Any other 2010 applicants?

It feels kinda weird applying to an all-female college, but I like the points above about the kitchens. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending