The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Lucy Cavendish College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
They take aaaaages to update track.

When I applied four years ago to Clare college, I got pooled then, sadly, rejected and it took them about 3 weeks to update track, which was extremely annoying as I had to reply to the other universities and apply for halls.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 61
UCAS Track is only used to confirm an offer/rejection, and you will not receive the letter of offer/rejection/pool until January. Track is updated University wide after the letter is sent, so is essentially useless with regards to your Cambridge application.

I didn't receive my invitation to interview until very late in November last year so don't panic :smile:
sybn87
Hello!

I asked that Lucy Cavendish contact me by email with any news, positive or negative, because the postal system where I'm living is extremely bizarre and often mail never arrives!

I contacted Gabby about a week ago, and she told me that applications were still being shortlisted.

Still no news about an interview, though and I'm starting to get anxious! Even more so because, even if I do get one, I'm not sure I'll be able to book the time off work anymore. Eeeek!!

did you get an invite to interview? pull a sickie with work... :smile:
Reply 63
athomas100
Just received my letter - have an interview 11/12/09!

Cannot believe it!!

Were you one of the slew of PPS applicants that were there yesterday? :biggrin:
Reply 64
FrancesO
Were you one of the slew of PPS applicants that were there yesterday? :biggrin:

yeah. How did you think it went?
Reply 65
athomas100
yeah. How did you think it went?

I was the lone computer scientist. My interview went pretty well in the end. How were your essays? :smile:
how do you guys think you did? you said there were loads of PPS applicants? how many this year?

there were seven when I interviewed last summer, and I believe seven in teh october before that :s-smilie:
Reply 67
Hi,anyone who is the applicant of Maths or current maths student in Lucy? I'm planning to apply the math for entry 2010 in the summer round. :smile:
Reply 68
Anyone else out there going to Lucy Cavendish in October? :smile:

(Was not able to post this in the college section for some reason..)
Reply 69
bluefolder
Anyone else out there going to Lucy Cavendish in October? :smile:

(Was not able to post this in the college section for some reason..)

Hi :smile:

There are at least two ladies on TSR who are holding offers for Lucy this year.
Hopefully they'll be around to say hello at some point.

Have you been recommended for the PREP course?
Reply 70
moonkatie
Hi :smile:

There are at least two ladies on TSR who are holding offers for Lucy this year.
Hopefully they'll be around to say hello at some point.

Have you been recommended for the PREP course?

Hi:smile:

Thanks for the reply.
hmm, no I don't really know what the PREP course is..should I?
Reply 71
bluefolder
Hi:smile:

Thanks for the reply.
hmm, no I don't really know what the PREP course is..should I?

Sorry, I see that you're a postgrad student, the PREP course is for [a select number of] undergrads. I have TSR tunnel vision, and assume that most posters are 18/19yr old undergrads :o:

I've just finished my first year at Lucy, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Reply 72
moonkatie
Sorry, I see that you're a postgrad student, the PREP course is for [a select number of] undergrads. I have TSR tunnel vision, and assume that most posters are 18/19yr old undergrads :o:

I've just finished my first year at Lucy, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Hi again Moonkatie,

I did have a few questions if that's ok.:o:
Do you know what the postgrad accommodation is like? As far as I could understand from the website the undergrad accommodation is really nice, but there wasn't too much info on the postgrad stuff.

Also, how do you find the whole all female environment? is it weird or does it work well.

Thanks, bluefolder:smile:
Reply 73
moonkatie
Sorry, I see that you're a postgrad student, the PREP course is for [a select number of] undergrads. I have TSR tunnel vision, and assume that most posters are 18/19yr old undergrads

Hello! Did you go on the PREP course last year then? I'm starting at Wolfson in October and have been asked to go on the course, which is no problem at all - gets me to Cambridge early which is all good - but I don't really have a clue what it is. Is it just talks and tours, or are you given work and academic tasks too?

( Naturally, you probably can't answer this if you didn't go, but worth trying :smile: )
Reply 74
Hi,

I'm also starting at Lucy in October as a post-grad (1 year MPhil)! I'd also like to know about post-grad accommodations.

I reviewed some accommodation documents I downloaded from the Lucy website and inputted some addresses into Google Maps street view, so I think I have some sense of post-grad housing. It seems that Barrmore, Strathaird, De Brye, Warburton, Bertram and Oldham Halls only house undergraduates and that there are a number of off-campus properties (15-30 minutes walking distance from the main Lucy college building) that house graduates. Is that right?

Does anyone have idea about which post-grad flats are the best in terms of accommodation and location?

Does anyone know when we should find out about housing?
Reply 75
Hi,

I'm also starting at Lucy in October as a post-grad (1 year MPhil)! I'd also like to know about post-grad accommodations.

I reviewed some accommodation documents I downloaded from the Lucy website and inputted some addresses into Google Maps street view, so I think I have some sense of post-grad housing. It seems that Barrmore, Strathaird, De Brye, Warburton, Bertram and Oldham Halls only house undergraduates. Is that right?

It seems that there are a number of off-campus properties (15-30 minutes walking distance from the main Lucy college building) that house graduates.

Reply 76
papaya86
Hi,

I reviewed some accommodation documents I downloaded from the Lucy website and inputted some addresses into Google Maps street view, so I think I have some sense of post-grad housing. It seems that Barrmore, Strathaird, De Brye, Warburton, Bertram and Oldham Halls only house undergraduates. Is that right?

It seems that there are a number of off-campus properties (15-30 minutes walking distance from the main Lucy college building) that house graduates.

Hi there:smile:
Nice to find another postgrad going to Lucy in October!
What will you be studying?
bluefolder:smile:
Reply 77
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner

bluefolder

Do you know what the postgrad accommodation is like? As far as I could understand from the website the undergrad accommodation is really nice, but there wasn't too much info on the postgrad stuff.
Also, how do you find the whole all female environment? is it weird or does it work well.

Hello again! I'm afraid to say that I don't have much input re; postgrad accommodation. If it helps at all I haven't heard anything negative about it, which I would have expected to if it were terrible! The general standard at Lucy is sufficiently high that I'd be genuinely surprised if the accommodation was below par.

Most of the teaching occurs out of college, and as such there is a more than ample opportunity to associate with a number of different people. College is the centre for meals/social activities etc (which people do bring boyfriends/husbands to), and in that regard it doesn't feel odd that it's single sex. I had the "joy" of attending a single sex grammar school, and it's a completely different atmosphere to that (thankfully).

I hope that helps a little :smile:
Reply 78
nymeria
Hello! Did you go on the PREP course last year then? I'm starting at Wolfson in October and have been asked to go on the course, which is no problem at all - gets me to Cambridge early which is all good - but I don't really have a clue what it is. Is it just talks and tours, or are you given work and academic tasks too?

( Naturally, you probably can't answer this if you didn't go, but worth trying :smile: )

Hi there :smile:

Yes I did attend the PREP course last year, and it was great. There were a number of different scheduled events; we had talks given on different aspects of University life, we were given some small tasks to do individually or in groups, we had the opportunity to speak to finance officers/childcare officers/tutors and ask any questions necessary, there was a piece of homework given to be completed between the two course dates, and there were plenty of coffee/meal/croquet breaks in which we had the opportunity to explore Madingley Hall and chat to fellow course members.

On the second part of the course (held in Cambridge itself) we were given a tour of the University Library and a talk about how to find books etc, had another couple of talks, and then split into our college groups. This is all subject to change (naturally), but overall it was a very useful course indeed (and dining in Madingley Hall is an amazing experience that you won't want to miss!)
Reply 79
I'll be doing the MPhil in Asian & Middle Eastern studies. I'm 24 years old.

I'm really excited to be part of a women's-only college. I belonged to one undergrad (part of a larger mixed-gender university though) and loved the environment; it tended to be more supportive, informal, and close-knit than other colleges. Because the faculty, staff, and alumnae believe so strongly in the mission of the college and the need for women's-only educational and social spaces, the college was fueled by a sense of purpose that was exciting to be a part of. It also meant there was generally more financial aid and travel opportunities for it's students. I'm not sure if this is also the case at Lucy.

Going into undergrad, I'll admit I had the same misconceptions about women's colleges that some previous posters expressed in this thread. But it turned out to be a great experience.

Quick Reply