The Student Room Group

01001000 01101001

Hi I'm going to study A Level computing in sept and I'm keen to learn a computer language, can anyone give me some advice to which language I should learn thanks. Btw Thread title ASCII.

Scroll to see replies

That sounds like the code that was written on Fry's butt.
Reply 2
Binary? I've heard it's very interesting and completely useful, also you seem to love it a lot!

Go on, learn those 1's and 0's, they will love you back someday.
Reply 3
Dude that's binary!
Learn Objective C, then you can make apps. But, if you want specific languages contact your college.
Original post by simstar
Binary? I've heard it's very interesting and completely useful, also you seem to love it a lot!

Go on, learn those 1's and 0's, they will love you back someday.

Just out of curiosity (yeah I know curiosity killed the cat :tongue: ) but is binary hard?
Original post by Pedantic Teen
Just out of curiosity (yeah I know curiosity killed the cat :tongue: ) but is binary hard?

Not really I learnt how to convert binary to numbers and text less than an hour. Your first task is to find out what my thread title means lol.
i have never programmed in 'python' but I have read that it is a very good language to start with. it is also considered to be easier than other languages and thus will help you if you then want to move on to languages such as java, c# and c++.

you could also check which languages are the most popular according to some indexes since it wouldn't be worth it investing a lot of time in an unpopular programming language. This site http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html indexes the most popular languages on a month by month basis.
Reply 8
This is copied from yahoo answers but its right (nearly)

1 means positive and 0 means negative

the system is dived in columns
1|2|4|8|16|32|64|128|256|512 etc each column doubles

1|2|4|8|16|32|64|128|256|512
1|0|1 this would equal 5 because their is a 1 under the ones column and a 1 under the fours column and then you add together

0|0|0|1|0 |0 |1 | this would equal 72 because their is a 1 under the 8 column and a one under the 64 column
when you red binary zeros have no value only ones do

The only bit they got wrong is that the columns are usually backwards.

Certain groups of numbers, when interpreted by the computer (loose use of the word interpreted, there lots of other stuff going on) translate to letters, so the thread title of 01001000 01101001

actually translates to the letters H and I.

Its not that difficult once you get your head round the counting system :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Pedantic Teen

Sorry was in a bit of a bad mood, just done a long time studying. I was being sarcastic. Binary is easy to learn, virtually pointless but I suppose fundamental also to get an oversight into how a computer works.

If you want to learn a simple language that you can easily experiment with then maybe combining HTML (relatively easy) with PHP (can be as simple/hard as you make it)?

I used PHP/MYSQL solution for my 2nd year project in computing where you need to design a small system. Up to you though!
Does anyone know which language is the most useful language for uni and job wise.
Reply 11
No idea what's IT skills are most worth learning really.

But I do have this: https://www.odesk.com/trends
Reply 12
Original post by Stardust Mirage
Does anyone know which language is the most useful language for uni and job wise.

Java.
Original post by FiReFoX99
This is copied from yahoo answers but its right (nearly)

1 means positive and 0 means negative

the system is dived in columns
1|2|4|8|16|32|64|128|256|512 etc each column doubles

1|0|1 this would equal 5 because their is a 1 under the ones column and a 1 under the fours column and then you add together

0|0|0|1|0 |0 |1 | this would equal 72 because their is a 1 under the 8 column and a one under the 64 column
when you red binary zeros have no value only ones do

The only bit they got wrong is that the columns are usually backwards.

Certain groups of numbers, when interpreted by the computer (loose use of the word interpreted, there lots of other stuff going on) translate to letters, so the thread title of 01001000 01101001

actually translates to the letters H and I.

Its not that difficult once you get your head round the counting system :smile:

I shouldn't of left that gap and that I isn't a capital I because it starts with 011
Reply 14
I'm no expert but from what I hear C++ is the way to go. It seems to be the most used programming language for commercial software, and I've been told that universities like it by someone who wants to do computer science.
However, if you haven't learnt any language at all before, then maybe start with a simpler one. I'm currently learning VB.NET which I've been told is a good way to start.
Reply 15
Hi I'm going to study A Level computing in sept and I'm keen to learn a computer language, can anyone give me some advice to which language I should learn thanks. Btw Thread title ASCII.

Definitely get a good understanding of HTML - it's very easy and makes for very practical knowledge, leading onto developing an understanding of XML and web architecture. For programming languages, Python is a very good language for beginners, as are either Java or C# because they come with a lot of functionality built in. PHP is also very useful if you're interested in web programming.

I'd leave learning C++ until after you've learnt a couple of languages already because it can be hard to get to grips with straight away without a prior base of understanding (it took me a couple of tries before I was really able to get started with C++ myself). C++ is very worthwhile to learn and is very flexible, but I'd learn a safer language first.

After you've learnt your first programming language, acquiring new languages becomes dramatically easier. When learning a new language it's not like learning from scratch, instead you're just required to work out how to carry out the same kinds of tasks in a new way - the procedural style of approach and the kind of available operations will stay the same for most languages.
Original post by miser
Definitely get a good understanding of HTML - it's very easy and makes for very practical knowledge, leading onto developing an understanding of XML and web architecture. For programming languages, Python is a very good language for beginners, as are either Java or C# because they come with a lot of functionality built in. PHP is also very useful if you're interested in web programming.

I'd leave learning C++ until after you've learnt a couple of languages already because it can be hard to get to grips with straight away without a prior base of understanding (it took me a couple of tries before I was really able to get started with C++ myself). C++ is very worthwhile to learn and is very flexible, but I'd learn a safer language first.

After you've learnt your first programming language, acquiring new languages becomes dramatically easier. When learning a new language it's not like learning from scratch, instead you're just required to work out how to carry out the same kinds of tasks in a new way - the procedural style of approach and the kind of available operations will stay the same for most languages.

Thanks really useful info there but out of curiosity is there anything java can do that python can't because I think I might start with python or java. Thanks for the info mate.
Thanks really useful info there but out of curiosity is there anything java can do that python can't because I think I might start with python or java. Thanks for the info mate.

java is frequently used for mobile applications whereas python isn't. both languages are object-oriented but i don't really know whether you can't do some stuff in python that you can do in java.

just try to find a good book regarding either language and start learning it. with regards to java, there's a book called 'Java in two Semesters' which I found to be really helpful during my studies.
Original post by hollowterror
java is frequently used for mobile applications whereas python isn't. both languages are object-oriented but i don't really know whether you can't do some stuff in python that you can do in java.

just try to find a good book regarding either language and start learning it. with regards to java, there's a book called 'Java in two Semesters' which I found to be really helpful during my studies.

Thanks I'll have a look.
Reply 19

Java would be the better choice for mobile development or for general distribution (virtually every computer these days has the Java virtual machine installed) and probably is the better choice for using graphics libraries like OpenGL, but it is likely a bit more complex than Python to pick up for a beginning programmer.

Here is a great comparison between the two languages: http://pythonconquerstheuniverse.wordpress.com/category/java-and-python/

Quick Reply