The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
mtbab
Yes definetely Southampton, their a russell group university.

But does that even mean much? The Russell group is hardly the UK equivalent of the Ivy League, the quality is pretty mixed!
The quality is mixed? These unis all look good to me. The only ones I'm not sure about are Glasgow and Newcastle, but I don't know a lot about them. I've also never heard of this Russell Group malarky before, but I'm glad Sheffield is in there :wink:

University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University College London
University of Warwick
Reply 22
Liverpool is on the list! Huzzah!!

Yeeaaahh!!
The Russell Group are a respected group of research-led universities. Get a good degree from any of those and you'll be doing well. It's not exhaustive though. York and Durham aren't Russell Group, but they're generally considered to be top ten, so don't panic if your uni isn't on the list!
Reply 24
red_roadkill
Surrey is ok, but I wouldn't go far beyond that.

Without a doubt Soton and Reading are the best ones you've applied to. They're decent uni's, and Reading is getting better all the time.

I don't know what offer conditions are/will be but I would have:

Firm: Soton
Insurance: Reading

I'm waiting to hear from Southampton, Reading and Sussex still (applied 16 Nov) and have a interview at Surrey in two weeks time.

The remaining universities I have unconditional offers for except Stafford which I didn't actually apply to in the end but it was a close call and so wanted to know the general view.
Reply 25
susiemakemeblue
Southampton - good uni, probably the best of your bunch. Nice place.
Reading - not far behind Soton, but not a Russell Group uni.
Sussex - good, well-respected uni, nice location.
Surrey - not one of the top unis, but pretty respected nonetheless.

These are definitely your best four.

Sheffield Hallam - probably next best, but not great.
Staffordshire and Lincoln - probably best avoided.

How come you have seven on the list?

Thank-you Susiemakemeblue, a very concise explanation. Very helpful.

I did not actually apply to Stafford but it was a close call and so was curious as to the rep of the university, needless to say that I'm glad I did not add Stafford to my UCAS app.
Where are you thinking of applying instead of staffordshire and lincoln?

On a sidenote, I see the UCL provost is becoming the chairman of the russell group :cool:
Reply 27
Onearmedbandit
Where are you thinking of applying instead of staffordshire and lincoln?

On a sidenote, I see the UCL provost is becoming the chairman of the russell group :cool:

Well I applied to Lincoln, Sussex, Southampton, Surrey, Sheffield Hallam and Reading. I was going to apply to Stafford (it was between Stafford and Lincoln) but decided not to in the end.
Reply 28
Southampton first, then Reading. I think Lincoln's supposed to be a bit naff for law.
Reply 29
clifflee
I'm waiting to hear from Southampton, Reading and Sussex still (applied 16 Nov) and have a interview at Surrey in two weeks time.

The remaining universities I have unconditional offers for except Stafford which I didn't actually apply to in the end but it was a close call and so wanted to know the general view.

southampton best followed by sussex/reading..surrey good atmosphere law not highly rated by certain organistions/times etc

i Am also waiting for reply from southampton..
goodluck!
law.Kabio
southampton best followed by sussex/reading..surrey good atmosphere law not highly rated by certain organistions/times etc

i Am also waiting for reply from southampton..
goodluck!

I note that you are a fellow mature student wanabee (like myself) .... Southampton apparently want us to come for an interview and aptitude test:eek: :eek:

Mature Candidates (over 23 years of age)
Applications are welcomed and entry requirements will vary. We look for evidence of recent study (within last three years). Most successful candidates offer one or two A' Levels or have successfully completed an Access Course. Professional qualifications and work experience are taken into account. Candidates are normally interviewed and take a written aptitude test.

This is from http://www.law.soton.ac.uk/admissions/afc-llb.htm

I think I'll start a thread later to see whether anyone can enlighten us as to what's involved ...... (don't wanna hijack this thread) :wink:
Reply 31
bookshifter
I note that you are a fellow mature student wanabee (like myself) .... Southampton apparently want us to come for an interview and aptitude test:eek: :eek:

Mature Candidates (over 23 years of age)
Applications are welcomed and entry requirements will vary. We look for evidence of recent study (within last three years). Most successful candidates offer one or two A' Levels or have successfully completed an Access Course. Professional qualifications and work experience are taken into account. Candidates are normally interviewed and take a written aptitude test.

This is from http://www.law.soton.ac.uk/admissions/afc-llb.htm

I think I'll start a thread later to see whether anyone can enlighten us as to what's involved ...... (don't wanna hijack this thread) :wink:

Hello bookshifter,

Just wondering as a mature student myself, if you had completed an access course? I'm currently doing a Open University course.

Just interested as I have applied to acouple of the same universities.
clifflee
Hello bookshifter,

Just wondering as a mature student myself, if you had completed an access course? I'm currently doing a Open University course.

Just interested as I have applied to acouple of the same universities.

I haven't completed an access course .... I have got some old 'crappy' A-Levels for 1997 and I got a 2.2 Business Studies in '01. So I am potentially going back for a 2nd time!

Where are our common applications?
Is the Access Course you are doing in Law, or is it generalist?

£9000 is a great barrier ........ I really hope short term pain is long term gain .....!

Good Luck!
Reply 33
bookshifter

hi
just done interview / test at sothampton awaiting results..how did you get on?
[QUOTE="law.Kabio"]
bookshifter

hi
just done interview / test at sothampton awaiting results..how did you get on?

Are you feeling confident? Was it better or worse than you expected? How did you find the campus ..... good facilities?

Yesterday I received a letter from Southampton saying that they would like me to come down on the 2nd of March. :smile:

So I am really apprenhensive at the moment ...... I hold one offer (Bournemouth) but am really keen to make that 2 so that I have a choice!

Can you offer me any pointers?

Are they essay questions, multiple choice or a variety?

As for the interview aspect, was it 2 or 3 people?

Was the test in a typical exam setting? By this I mean was it just you taking the test for 2 hours by yourself or was it at the same time as XX number of students?

No car parking on site either ..... not looking forward to relying British Rail either...

It will be my first time doing an exam in a shirt/tie/blazer since 1995 and I am not looking forward to that ....... I want my Nike trainers and my lucky green baseball cap, oh well!
Reply 35
[QUOTE="bookshifter"]
law.Kabio

Are you feeling confident? Was it better or worse than you expected? How did you find the campus ..... good facilities?

Yesterday I received a letter from Southampton saying that they would like me to come down on the 2nd of March. :smile:

So I am really apprenhensive at the moment ...... I hold one offer (Bournemouth) but am really keen to make that 2 so that I have a choice!

Can you offer me any pointers?

Are they essay questions, multiple choice or a variety?

As for the interview aspect, was it 2 or 3 people?

Was the test in a typical exam setting? By this I mean was it just you taking the test for 2 hours by yourself or was it at the same time as XX number of students?

No car parking on site either ..... not looking forward to relying British Rail either...

It will be my first time doing an exam in a shirt/tie/blazer since 1995 and I am not looking forward to that ....... I want my Nike trainers and my lucky green baseball cap, oh well!

Well campus was ok it looked a bit shabby but it is an oldish uni afterall..a lot of big law firms run fairs yearly so is a good sign..
transport from clapham juntion took me 1hr 15mins not bad! no time to finish me coffee..

i took taxi from soton central (£7) and U1 bus back from just outside the faculty (£1)
interviewed by one law staff very relaxed asked qs as per pstmt for about 20mins then break went back to room to sit test basic comprehension qs no multiple choice.. i was on my own.. i see you already have degree so it wont be a problem for you at all ..overall very friendly atmosphere no trick qs. I got the feeling they just wanted to see me .see how i comunicate argue a point etc..you've done well by being invited in first palce 2 of my mates got regected and now hoping for qmary..
Reply 36
Hiya all

I was just wondering which university you guys thought is the best for Single Honours Law, as i am having a difficult decision choosing;

Kent
Hull
Brunel
Sussex
Keele and
Reading

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

(this was an earlier post and had limited response) plz help
[QUOTE="law.Kabio"]
bookshifter

Well campus was ok it looked a bit shabby but it is an oldish uni afterall..a lot of big law firms run fairs yearly so is a good sign..
transport from clapham juntion took me 1hr 15mins not bad! no time to finish me coffee..

i took taxi from soton central (£7) and U1 bus back from just outside the faculty (£1)
interviewed by one law staff very relaxed asked qs as per pstmt for about 20mins then break went back to room to sit test basic comprehension qs no multiple choice.. i was on my own.. i see you already have degree so it wont be a problem for you at all ..overall very friendly atmosphere no trick qs. I got the feeling they just wanted to see me .see how i comunicate argue a point etc..you've done well by being invited in first palce 2 of my mates got regected and now hoping for qmary..

Thanks for all your help ...... your comments have been a great help

Was there time pressure in the test, can I also ask if you did any specific preparation for the test?

Haven't had an interview in near enough three years! LOL

Would you choose Soton over Queen Mary? (I haven't applied to QM but still would be interested to know).
islandlaw
Hiya all

I was just wondering which university you guys thought is the best for Single Honours Law, as i am having a difficult decision choosing;

Kent
Hull
Brunel
Sussex
Keele and
Reading

Thanks

(this was an earlier post and had limited response) plz help

My take as follows: (I have only visited Kent and Brunel)

Kent - Decent Campus, I really like Canterbury, seems a friendly place, good reputation and close enough to London

Hull - Cheap cost of living, ok reputation

Brunel - I personally don't like the campus (concrete mish mash), but is going through a major renovation. I think you'll gain some good work experience too because it is compulsory isn't it?

Sussex - By all accounts a beautiful campus, ok reputation,

Keele - Seemingly in a rural-ish setting which will frustrate the urbanites amongst us - are you doing a dual honours? Offers housing in 1st and 3rd years ..... so only one year of hanging around with a landord. Real Opportunity to study abroad.

Reading - Good Reputation, not too sure about the campus

Out of all 6 I only considered applying to Sussex, Kent & Keele but didn't do so ........ I really regret not applying to Keele

As to pure 'Law' reputation I think I'll let other contributors 'fight' over that one

Congrats for bagging 6/6 offers :p:
Reply 39
islandlaw
Hiya all

Kent
Hull
Brunel
Sussex
Keele and
Reading

Thanks

Well from what i've read/researched and from most of the other threads its
kent/sussex/reading
i believe kent is in top 20 for law degree the rest aren't.. sussex is one of very few unis world ranked..so the choice is yours!

Latest

Trending

Trending