The Student Room Group

Has anyone managed to get a grant for an access diploma distance course?

Hi

I am hoping to study Occupational Therapy next year but because I did my A'levels so long ago and they are not at the required grade the university have said I need to do an access course. When I spoke to my local college they said that because I already have level 3 qualfications and I do not claim Jobseekers allowance I have to pay for the full course. It will be £1480. I am a single mum, not working currently due to ill health and claiming the old incapacity benefit. I do not have savings and I cannot possibly afford this.

I have looked at other options and have found an access diploma to health studies on the Distance Learning Centre website which is half the cost. Has anyone done a course with them??? Or similar distance learning course?? If so did you manage to get a grant from a charity or trust to complete this. Could you advise who you managed to do this through. I have been going through various websites for grants but I can't find any I can apply to.

Many thanks
Hi,

I am doing an access course in September, funny enough it's to get me into Occupational Therapy. I've been through so much stress with it all. I was told I would get £2092, the maximum grant for someone living away from home. However I just received my award letter stating I will only be getting £1674 because I live at home, they took 'living at home' as me living with mummy & daddy' which I aint I bring myself up in my own place so YES I am living at home. This story gets complicated, I used to live in County Antrim and applied through SELB but I moved to County Derry and had to send my things of to WELB. What a sore head this was, I had to send my passport off numerous times, got letters saying I am getting this then being told I am not. To cut a long story short, you are entitled to a grant because I am on JSA and cannot wait to get off it in 3 weeks today :wink: I am also using 120 Open University points to help me get in to OT. Good luck I hope all works out well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending