The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The IT sector is one of those areas theat will grow and grow and grow, once one trend has been flogged e.g. fast internet, broadband) something else will be created, as we move further and further into the future computers will play a much bigger role in our daily lives than anyone can imagine. Its not the kind of industry that will die. Only the short sited capitalist investors tend to predict the slowing down of such a market.

Computers will shape the world in the future therefore the discipline at a high level will be here as long as the world can sustain it.

we have had several massive computer booms in the past few decades, that has curtailed but I guarantee sometime in the future it will happen again. everything in todays society that relies on very complex math tends to be reliant upon complex computer systems, e.g. the proliferation of nuclear power stations which will depend on computer systems to maintain such critical infrastructure.

Comp Sci is ony going to grow and grow. Unless of ocurse where all going to go back to living in medieval conditions.

Technology is what will push man kind forward further than ever before, the very foundations of that technology will be complex mathmatically orientated computer systems.
Reply 81
the above is really a load of crap, it just reflects the latest capitalist trends. wait until the stockmarket crashes and the economy slumps, then we will see how much stockbrokers make.

I also love the 15 - 70-K bull.. hmm got vague????
Well, when the markets peaked, bankers were paying themselves in excess of $100 million and the top hedgers have earned themselves in excess of a billion a year.

People who are good in the markets make money when the market goes down as well as up.

And investment bankers earn the most out of any industry by far. Very far.
Ah well, he's only a computer fanboy who thinks one day in the near future robots will do all the menial jobs, you will just have to speak into your PDA and google's new artificial intelligence will find and present you the information you want and explain it to you if you're too thick and soon we will all have chips in our brains for 50 Terabit uplinks to the internet.
Better than that, short on margin :cool:

Or use appropriate derivatives.

Olek - I actually seriously look forward to the day when I don't have to work and computers will do all the 'stuff'.
Reply 85
Football players...lots :biggrin:

--------------

As in top football players...
fatboy06
As in top football players...

All 300 of them in the UK?

Given that there are more than 300 millionaires made per year per large investment bank and some hedge funds are making billionaires - well...
Reply 87
how much do university lecturers and professors make?
Reply 88
You can earn a fair bit in America. The really good talented professors get all the luxury treatment :p:
The-Lennon
<stuff>

Yep, there are fees.
The fees essentially are 'rent' charged on the shares you are borrowing, and all dividends that the share pays out you must pay to its owner. Short selling is much easier for investment banks, because they have sufficient flow through their desks to continuously roll over their short position and just delay delivery slightly (some investor places an order to go long, instead of delivering when you find an equal amount of shares someone is willing to sell, you instead wait until you find a second person wishing to go long, then make delivery to the first, you wait until you find a third person willing to go long before you make delivery to the second etc. etc. so you always owe someone some shares).
Olek
so you always owe someone some shares

I don't think the bank owns them as such. If you had to do the books, you wouldn't see the shares appear under the assets of the bank.
Reply 92
fundamentally
Seems reasonable.
I am a bit dubious about Swansea and Southampton.

Tier 4 (Adequate.Graduates from these will face tough competition from tiers above them, especially in these tough times for IT)
Surrey
Sheffield
Lancaster
Newcastle
Southampton
Swansea

As for the rest, unless you are very good, have a lot of work experience or have great contacts, they will only prepare you for unemployment or to try and set up a small business of your own. Small businesses in IT have a 80% failure rate.

Wow, just reading throuh this thread. What are you talking about fundamentally?

Swansea is well known in the computer science field. I can tell you that people with a Computer Science degree from there (like me :rolleyes: ) will not face "tough competition".

I would also like to add that if anyone has a Computer Science degrees they will have a huge earning potential throughout their career.
Reply 93
Navajo
Wow, just reading throuh this thread. What are you talking about fundamentally?

Swansea is well known in the computer science field. I can tell you that people with a Computer Science degree from there (like me :rolleyes: ) will not face "tough competition".

I would also like to add that if anyone has a Computer Science degrees they will have a huge earning potential throughout their career.

fundamentally appears to be arrogant. :eek:
Lets weigh this up. Swansea vs Oxford/Cambridge/Top London, regardless of degree.

Next!
Reply 95
Some of the most successful Start-Ups are HP - Hewlett and Packard, Apple -Jobs and Wozniak, Google - Page and Brin, Yahoo - Jang and Filo, Microsoft - Gates and Allen, eBay - Omidyar and Skoll, and countless other examples. So working with a like minded partner truly helps a venture to succeed. :wink:
Reply 96
Olek
Lets weigh this up. Swansea vs Oxford/Cambridge/Top London, regardless of degree.

Next!

What do you define as Top London? Imperial and UCL obviously do you include KCL and QMUL?
Dynamic_1
What do you define as Top London? Imperial and UCL obviously do you include KCL and QMUL?

Queen Mary hardly fits into the same category as the likes of UCL, IC, LSE or Oxbridge.

Usually when people are referring to the "top London unis", they are referring to the top 3, perhaps KCL aswell, but certainly not QMUL!

Isn't QMUL about 35th in the league tables? :confused:
The-Lennon
league tables? :rolleyes: oh dear you are obviously sucked into that propaganda

Yes, i'm sure you are far more well informed than the people who put league tables together are... In fact, i'm sure that in your miniscule little brain you've got more intellect than every major British publication combined. :smile:

There really is nothing more irritating than people who are so deluded that they think they know better than almost every other indicator out there.

Queen Mary is crap, and it's league table positions consistently show that to be the truth. It is going to be a very very long time until QMUL gets even close to the same overall standard as the top London unis, now get over it. :rolleyes:
Reply 99
The-Lennon
league tables? :rolleyes: oh dear you are obviously sucked into that propaganda

How else do you rate a university other than a combination of it's independently and carefully judged teaching quality (TQA), an assessment of it's research - number of journals and the like (RAE), the typical entry grades of its students and an assessment of the destinations of its graduates? I agree, the fact they all use slightly different weightings and thus give different results does show that they're not perfect. But they're a pretty good measure, they judge a university on the right attributes. I doubt many people would disagree with Oxbridge, followed by Imperial, LSE and UCL, and then by Warwick, York, Bristol, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Durham (possibly forgotten a couple) are the most sought after universities by employers and students, and offer the best quality of teaching and learning. Exactly as the table seems to suggest.

For the majority of subjects, QMUL does not feature in that top group. It's not considered a top 10 university by quite a way. It is a good place to go, but so are many places, quite a few better than it.

Latest

Trending

Trending