The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Pedro K.
Mine's on the 1st hahah :biggrin:!

Hahaa gooood luck I'm so nervous already hahaha
Original post by kgee
Depends on which unis you choose.. Some would not take sjt as a major component...may I ask what materials you used for practice and how close to they reflect the exam?

I did the KAPLAN online course and I got mostly band 2 in the practice tests but didn't bother preparing because I didn't have much time and I thought it was a lot easier than some of the other sections. I blame myself - definitely should've read all of the explanations that were provided. My guess is that I just missed out on band 2 ;(
Original post by mollybryant82
3560 total so 890 average, did very well on my ukcat last year so that wasn't really the problem, hence why I did it today and got over with it as early as possible. Interviews let me down last year so need to concentrate on them from now on! Good luck

Wow!! That's ridiculously good score, any tips you could pass on or what were the questions like? also what was your breakdown scores for each section and what did you get in SJT section? Thanks and well done again :tongue:
Original post by woodsy1586
Wow!! That's ridiculously good score, any tips you could pass on or what were the questions like? also what was your breakdown scores for each section and what did you get in SJT section? Thanks and well done again :tongue:

Thank you! Erm in terms of tips make sure you practice your timing really I guess. Breakdown was: VR = 860 Other 3 sections = 900, SJ Band 2
Thank you! Erm in terms of tips make sure you practice your timing really I guess. Breakdown was: VR = 860 Other 3 sections = 900, SJ Band 2

WOAHHH!! Congrats once again, thats brill! kk i've just pm'ed you so we can talk on there
I've started revising for UKCAT last night, I did the VR for the first time and I got 559 avg. (not sure if that's a good score)
However, is there any tips or tricks on how to improve on this section.
Original post by Elhamm
I've started revising for UKCAT last night, I did the VR for the first time and I got 559 avg. (not sure if that's a good score)
However, is there any tips or tricks on how to improve on this section.

Hey how are you finding out your score?
And when's your test :colone: ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gabby07
Hey how are you finding out your score?
And when's your test :colone: ?

I booked it on the 11th of August :smile: Initially it was on the 14th but I reschedueled it
How about you?? And someone told me that if you do: (percentage x 6)+300 will give your score approximately.
Do you have any tips/tricks for VR?? :smile:
Reply 468
I am trying to buy Kaplan bmat book bit cheaper than what amazon is selling which is about £199; but no luck.
It is so expensive. Then I wonder do I really need it or can do without it. Looking for
your advice...

What resources should I use to prepare for bmat?

Thanks
Nomita
Original post by nomita
I am trying to buy Kaplan bmat book bit cheaper than what amazon is selling which is about £199; but no luck.
It is so expensive. Then I wonder do I really need it or can do without it. Looking for
your advice...

What resources should I use to prepare for bmat?

Thanks
Nomita

I found the 400 BMAT questions book the best. There was also another book useful if you're doing the BMAT and Ukcat called 'Passing the ukcat and bmat'. Closer to the time, a revision guide is released onto the website which you can use for preparation. The best resource is the past papers though.
3560 total so 890 average, did very well on my ukcat last year so that wasn't really the problem, hence why I did it today and got over with it as early as possible. Interviews let me down last year so need to concentrate on them from now on! Good luck

wowwww well done that's such a good score!!!!

do you have any resources/ books that you'd recommmenddd??
Original post by qwertyisthebest
wowwww well done that's such a good score!!!!

do you have any resources/ books that you'd recommmenddd??

Kaplan course, 600Q book and a book called " Ace the UKCAT - Ultimate Online Bank of UKCAT" - I felt they were 3 most useful things that helped me, but I used a lot of other books in conjuction with these 3 to help me get a high score
Original post by Elhamm

Do you have any tips/tricks for VR?? :smile:

I certainly do. DON'T READ THE PASSAGE FIRST OFF/AT ALL. Read the question. Scan for keywords. That doesn't mean read the passage from left to right, it means scan i.e. look up and down through the paragraph for those key words. Read the sentence before and after that keyword.

Some good keywords would be dates and words with capital letters - your brain will find these faster as they simply stand out more. Good luck! :3
Reply 473
I have been preparing for the UKCAT for over a month now. I have completed the UKCAT 600 book as well as parts of Medify. I constantly make mistakes in the verbal reasoning and abstract reasoning sections. What would you guys suggest me to do in order to get 800+ in both of these section?
Original post by Freyr
Best advice is just to do lots of practice!
And my advice for the SJT? Don't bother even reading the scenario, it gives you too much to think about, and I got tired quickly, and by the time I read the answers, I had forgotten what it was about! hwhen I did practice questions I did worst.
When I just read the answer and selected the answer that seemed most obvious, I did well, and managed to get band 1 last year.
But everyone works differently, so test it out first and see if you work better like that!

When you were doing the quantitative bit, did you think it was a little hard. It takes me 20 mins to do one question and you re meant to do 9 in that time in the real thing
Original post by tw781
600Q and Kaplan book arrived today. Had a quick look through and found the quantitative reasoning in Kaplan ridiculously easy!?! But cannot figure out abstract reasoning -.- any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you were doing the quantitative bit, did you think it was a little hard. It takes me 20 mins to do one question and you re meant to do 9 in that time in the real thing
I'm finding the quantitative hard
Quantative was really hard I guessed over half of mine. Some your suppost to do by elimination not by working them out i had below average in that(600ish) . Kaplan have a method for the abstract that works well and got me 810 in that section. Its called scans i think. Shape, colour, arrangement, number, sides. Assesing the differences in that order is the quickest way
If your taking it this year you nay want to make a new thread to discuss throughout the summer
Original post by CocoBandicoot
Quantative was really hard I guessed over half of mine. Some your suppost to do by elimination not by working them out i had below average in that(600ish) . Kaplan have a method for the abstract that works well and got me 810 in that section. Its called scans i think. Shape, colour, arrangement, number, sides. Assesing the differences in that order is the quickest way

Can you explain the abstract method for me please? I can't afford kaplan
does anyone agree that the practice tests and material on the actual ukcat website seem alot harder?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending