The Student Room Group

Help needed choosing A-Level subjects for midwifery..

Hey :smile:
I have a couple of weeks until I start sixth form and am still able to change subjects. I used to want to be a midwife, then changed my mind and chose subjects to help me get onto the journalism career path. However, I have decided I do want to be a midwife as I have more interest in it and believe it's right for me.

The subjects I have chosen to begin at AS level are:
Religious studies (philosophy and ethics)
French
English Literature
Psychology

I need help on deciding what to do as I am unable to study biology at the sixth form I am attending (only one class of each, both at the same time). Biology is the only science I believe I could handle at A-Level and RE is the subject I am most excited about starting. Is there anyway I can study midwifery with these subjects or possibly change French to one that will help that isn't a science?

Thanks!
Biology
Sociology
Religious Studies

They're probably the most useful ones for your career path however, Biology isn't essential!
As for your question concerning studying midwifery, there's not many chances to study this area during A-levels however, I urge you to read loads of books concerning midwifery and actually absorb the information. There's nothing better than being able to discuss fascinating books that helped you realise midwifery was for you in your personal statement.
Reply 3
Maybe a science subject would help, but I think you should try and get some work experience in midwifery because if you just do a level subjects thats not ideal. They tend to accept only older people with experience on midwifery courses.
I'd keep French as one of your choices, you never know. Maybe one day you'll be a midwife in France someday living in a million pound home:smile:
Reply 5
Thank you, I will consider doing biology instead of RE then but if it's not absolutely necassary I'd rather do RE. I've also heard that RE and psychology are respected subjects when applying for a midwifery course at uni and they keep my options open in case I change my mind again!

Just thought I'd check if biology was a must but I'll look into individual universities also.

Original post by pinda.college
I'd keep French as one of your choices, you never know. Maybe one day you'll be a midwife in France someday living in a million pound home:smile:

Ahh... I certainly wouldn't complain! :biggrin:
Original post by a.stokes
Thank you, I will consider doing biology instead of RE then but if it's not absolutely necassary I'd rather do RE. I've also heard that RE and psychology are respected subjects when applying for a midwifery course at uni and they keep my options open in case I change my mind again!

Just thought I'd check if biology was a must but I'll look into individual universities also.

Ahh... I certainly wouldn't complain! :biggrin:

Work hard, read your books and put in 100% up until you're settled in your own home with a family. Anything's possible if you put in the effort:smile:
Reply 7
I am going to try my very hardest and more, thanks for the help!
Reply 8
Hi,
I'm starting a midwifery degree this September in the West Midlands, so hopefully I might be able to help you.

In terms of a science subject, you'll find that many universities consider psychology as a science for midwifery, so definitely keep it in there. I would advise trying to take biology, at least for AS Level. You could always drop it after the first year, and pick up an RE AS in the second year if you still really wanted to do it? I would suggest looking at the entry requirements of universities that you think you might be interested in and seeing what it says about science.

They do quite like French A Level for any subject at uni (I also did a French A Level) and it was an interesting talking point at interviews. However, it's not essential and you should be aware that A Level French is significantly harder than GCSE! There's a lot of grammar!

Besides academic stuff, really make sure you get loads of work experience, because that is just as imporant, in fact possibly more so, than the academic stuff. It can be difficult to get relevant experience, particularly at our age, but do all you can. Contact maternity departments, NCT antenatal classes, SureStart Children's Centres, health visitors, independent midwives, care homes and non-midwifery related hospital departments. Universities understand that it's difficult to get relevant experience and are happy with general care experience in most cases. When you've done a piece of work experience, make sure you write down what you learnt, how it will help you doing the course and why it made you want to be a midwife. This will really help you when you write your personal statment.

If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I would also like to do midwifery, and I am looking at doing maths, biology, art and psychology or sociology for a levels. I would just like to say that you will not get work experience in a midwifery unit until you have started year 12. Both myself and my school have contacted many units and they refused to accept me for a place until I started year 12 even though I turned 16 in early september. The best thing you can do is get voluntary work which involves caring (nursing homes etc.) Or if you're after money too then regular baby-sitting. I have not yet tried sitting in on antenatal classes or anything similar to that, but it is something that I will be considering soon. Good luck and I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by zooley977
I would also like to do midwifery, and I am looking at doing maths, biology, art and psychology or sociology for a levels. I would just like to say that you will not get work experience in a midwifery unit until you have started year 12. Both myself and my school have contacted many units and they refused to accept me for a place until I started year 12 even though I turned 16 in early september. The best thing you can do is get voluntary work which involves caring (nursing homes etc.) Or if you're after money too then regular baby-sitting. I have not yet tried sitting in on antenatal classes or anything similar to that, but it is something that I will be considering soon. Good luck and I hope this helps :smile:

If you're offering advice to the op I should probably point out you're replying to a thread that's two years old :wink:
I'm in the same position, I am planning on taking Biology, Sociology, English Literature and either RP- To understand ethics of abortion and medication, or food technology to understand the needs and the importance of nutrition for the mother and baby x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending