The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ok...
infiltration....think like coffee through a filter thats the filtration of the bean out of the liquid...infiltration is the movmenent of a liquid through a object, in this case water and the ground
with relation to impermiable rocks...obviously the clue is in the name that water cannot permiate them...
Imagine rain falling and infiltrating through the soil then into the next layer say sandstone(permiable) then it comes to an impermiable layer say granite. This layer stops the downward infiltration of the water, yet it is still under the influence of gravity so it starts to move down hill still but in a letteral motion, like a river under the ground, just normally slower...
hope thats some help
Reply 2
thanx alot :smile: can you also give me a definition of interception...
Reply 3
Apache
thanx alot :smile: can you also give me a definition of interception...

Interception is with reference to precipitation (ie rainfall, snow etc.)
Its quite a simple principle of rain falls from sky....hits a tree and is fall is therefore intercepted by that tree
Interception reduces the levels of rain hitting the ground, thats why you stand under a tree for shelter when its raining as its intercepting the rainfall.

what does it do???
It reduces erosive power of rain when it reaches the surface
stops some of the rain reaching the ground as it is held by the canopy

im sure that there is some more stuff but of the top of my head i cant remember it.
Reply 4
thanx alot. thats great :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending