The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

UoR: FAQ's / Information / Ask a student thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pasong
Hi guys , i would like to get some advices from you is it possible to live in london and travel to Reading daily to study as it takes 30mins from Paddington Station. I want to stay in london with my friends and this is the reason why. I now hav 2 choices between QMUL and Henley , my major is management , please give me suggestions

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not to sure about QMUL but Henley business school is one of the best in the country. It also has great connections to industries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hi guys, can anyone tell me about the opportunity to do a professional placement for Biomedical Sciences at Reading please?
Hi there, I've been offered a place on the PGCE teacher training course starting in sep 2015, I have only come to visit on my interview day as I don't live that close. I would like to look around the accommodation though even though I'm going to be applying just By what I've read and pictures I've seen. I am aware I can come for a campus tour though but will this tour be of the accommodation aswell? Thanks
Can someone tell me about the nightlife in reading please?!!
Hiya, I've applied for st George's en-suite first and then the premium one for my second,

That's great thanks il join the group now
Sammie x
hi :smile: i'm stressing over accommodation. has anyone else applied for McCombie and Greenow? because i'm super worried about applying there because i've heard of how it's not always sociable. if so, where has everyone else applied? (i'm doing law btw)
Reply 526
Hey I wish to study Biological Sciences next year and currently deciding between Reading University and Lincoln University as my insurance. I really liked the Lincoln campus but the course wasnt that good, while Readings course and modules look amazing but I haven't visited it.

So whats the actual campus like? City like? etc...
Original post by Kat135
Hey I wish to study Biological Sciences next year and currently deciding between Reading University and Lincoln University as my insurance. I really liked the Lincoln campus but the course wasnt that good, while Readings course and modules look amazing but I haven't visited it.

So whats the actual campus like? City like? etc...

Open day is the best chance you got of seeing the amazing campus on offer :tongue:

I went to many other uni campuses during my A-levels but Reading was the best as it had everything to offer (we even have our own lake)
Reply 528
Original post by James A
Open day is the best chance you got of seeing the amazing campus on offer :tongue:

I went to many other uni campuses during my A-levels but Reading was the best as it had everything to offer (we even have our own lake)

Hey thanks for replying :smile:

There are no open days between now and the 6th of May (when I have to put my final choices in)
Original post by Kat135
Hey thanks for replying :smile:

There are no open days between now and the 6th of May (when I have to put my final choices in)

I'm pretty sure you can take a self guided tour around the campus; but yes you should 100% visit the campus because it really is nice here :h:
How is the pharmacy course at reading ? and whats it like living there ?
Hi, I am currently deciding between Reading and Swansea uni to study human geography and at the moment Im in a complete dilemma on who to choose. Personally I slightly prefer the course at Swansea but I much prefer the location and campus and uni as a whole at Reading, and would love to live there for the next 3 years. Do you think even though I dont have as much as an interest for the Reading course (although I do like the look of it) i should chooses Reading over Swansea due to preference with location/campus etc.? Also if you know anyone who takes human geography or normal geography that can give me some info on the course then that would be great. Thanks
Original post by OllieeH
Hi, I am currently deciding between Reading and Swansea uni to study human geography and at the moment Im in a complete dilemma on who to choose. Personally I slightly prefer the course at Swansea but I much prefer the location and campus and uni as a whole at Reading, and would love to live there for the next 3 years. Do you think even though I dont have as much as an interest for the Reading course (although I do like the look of it) i should chooses Reading over Swansea due to preference with location/campus etc.? Also if you know anyone who takes human geography or normal geography that can give me some info on the course then that would be great. Thanks

Hello,

I currently study at Reading University. I looked around loads of universities before I chose Reading (around 10) and I found that the campus and the feel of the university was really the most important aspect for me when deciding! This was because your going to be at that university for 3 years if not more and if you don't like being at your uni no matter how much you enjoy your course or your friends there it will never really feel like home! Reading is green with an accessible campus which has everything you need, really friendly students and great opportunities for your future, I would definitely recommend it!

I don't study geography however I can help with any questions you might have about the university and I would always recommend having a look around both uni's again on an open day as it might help you decide :biggrin: I hope this was useful and good luck with your decision making!

Amelia, first year studying history and archaeology :smile:
Original post by OllieeH

Hi OllieeH, thank you for your question and I am pleased that the Human Geography course at Swansea University interests you. Have you attended one of our Open Days or Applicant Visit Days? Swansea University is in a beautiful location surrounded by parkland and opposite the beach. If you would like to find out more about studying at Swansea University please click here. You can read more about our current students and how they find life at Swansea. If you have any further questions, about Swansea in general, or about the course, please let me know and we will do our best to help!
Original post by UniofReading
Hello,

I currently study at Reading University. I looked around loads of universities before I chose Reading (around 10) and I found that the campus and the feel of the university was really the most important aspect for me when deciding! This was because your going to be at that university for 3 years if not more and if you don't like being at your uni no matter how much you enjoy your course or your friends there it will never really feel like home! Reading is green with an accessible campus which has everything you need, really friendly students and great opportunities for your future, I would definitely recommend it!

I don't study geography however I can help with any questions you might have about the university and I would always recommend having a look around both uni's again on an open day as it might help you decide :biggrin: I hope this was useful and good luck with your decision making!

Amelia, first year studying history and archaeology :smile:

Hi thanks for replying. I agree that what the campus and the feel of the place is very important, and I do like the look of both Reading and Swanseas campuses but I prefer the location of Reading (closer to home and London). I have been in touch with a first year Geography student about the course, which now seems even better now that I know what the modules will be like. One thing I haven't asked anyone about yet are the sports facilities, is there a good standard gym and swimming pool on or near campus that you know of? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Swansea University
Hi OllieeH, thank you for your question and I am pleased that the Human Geography course at Swansea University interests you. Have you attended one of our Open Days or Applicant Visit Days? Swansea University is in a beautiful location surrounded by parkland and opposite the beach. If you would like to find out more about studying at Swansea University please click here. You can read more about our current students and how they find life at Swansea. If you have any further questions, about Swansea in general, or about the course, please let me know and we will do our best to help!

Hi thanks for replying. I haven't seen that link that you have posted yet but it looks like it will give me a lot more info on Swansea so thanks. One question I did have was whether you can take modules from other courses, say like taking a module from Politics, or do you only take courses from the Geography modules?
Reply 536
Are guests allowed to stay in Halls with you for a few days? I know most universities accept it, but I haven't seen any info about Reading. Thanks
Original post by OllieeH
Hi thanks for replying. I haven't seen that link that you have posted yet but it looks like it will give me a lot more info on Swansea so thanks. One question I did have was whether you can take modules from other courses, say like taking a module from Politics, or do you only take courses from the Geography modules?

HI OllieeH, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've checked with the College of Science and it's possible to study up to 20 credits in another subject area (for example Politics). I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!
Original post by Swansea University
HI OllieeH, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've checked with the College of Science and it's possible to study up to 20 credits in another subject area (for example Politics). I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Ah thats good to hear. Thanks a lot for finding that out for me
Original post by OllieeH
Hi thanks for replying. I agree that what the campus and the feel of the place is very important, and I do like the look of both Reading and Swanseas campuses but I prefer the location of Reading (closer to home and London). I have been in touch with a first year Geography student about the course, which now seems even better now that I know what the modules will be like. One thing I haven't asked anyone about yet are the sports facilities, is there a good standard gym and swimming pool on or near campus that you know of? Thanks

Hi,

Its great that you have been able to talk about the course with someone!
Our gym is known as the Sports Park. It is open from 7am to 10pm weekdays and 9am to 9pm on weekends. Downstairs we have a weights section which is free for anyone to use and upstairs is all the exercise equipment such as running machines, spin bikes and cross trainers etc some of which are brand new models! There is also a dedicated space with mats to stretch and roll on.
Outside of the sports park are tennis courts, football/ rugby pitches, hockey and netball/ basketball courts as well as playing fields which you can hire out for a session as long as their not being used by a club! We also have our own boat house for rowing. If you didn't want to spend all your time at the gym you could always just join one of the 50 sports clubs that we have available!!
The whole Sports Park has free wifi and many of the machines have a TV or radios built into them. I spend a lot of time at the gym (as I row for Reading) and have found that as long as you don't go at peak times (for example lunch time) there is always a free piece of each type of equipment.
At the gym we also have coaches who you can ask for advice with the weights or how to use the equipment who are really friendly, as is the physiotherapist there! We also have loads of sessions that go on at the Sports Park for example spin, yoga, tennis, squash, zumba and gym classes that you take part in. There is really something for everyone!

Unfortunately the one thing we don't have is a swimming pool however there is one about 10 minutes drive away from the campus, and the swimming society make frequent visits to the pools.

Any further questions let me know :biggrin:
Amelia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending