The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

UoR: FAQ's / Information / Ask a student thread

University of Reading

Introduction:

Hello everyone, There are a few current and previous students of the university on the site and as such, to ensure they are able to see questions you may have that they can answer, I thought it was prudent to create this thread. I will try and update it with responses to questions that I feel many people will have an interest in knowing the answer to and various information over time but don't shoot me for taking my time with this. People can't promise to provide subject-specific information(although I can recommend general books for most Arts/Humanities subjects that I've read if this is what you're after) but they will, I'm sure, do their best.

If anyone has any suggestions for anything that should be included then please feel free to post it here or PM me because ultimately this should be useful for all of us and input from anyone and everyone is welcome. I have duely recognized the authors of the two old stickies and would also here like to recognise foswissle as the original creator of an"ask a current student" type thread that I merged here in its infancy for the greater good :tongue: :smile:

Random stats about UoR

Spoiler

Pictures

Spoiler

Library

Spoiler

Students Union

Spoiler

Accommodation Information

Spoiler

Frequently asked Questions and Answers

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bear with me.

This is still being created and if anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.

This should be by the people for the people and all that jazz :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey dudes,
So I am a 2nd year Reading Uni. student studying Politics & International Relations. I lived in Old Court at St. Patrick's Hall. I'm not English, but I "survived" my 1st year at Reading Uni!

If you have any questions regarding anything about campus life, pubs, clubs, halls, or Reading itself feel free to ask!
Reply 3
Hello!

I actually do have a question about school organized trips. Can't seem to find anything on group travel. A link would be most appreciated!

Thank you :smile:
Kristen
Reply 4
Hi there,
Well to my knowledge the University itself doesn't really have any trips they organize. As far as I know, it's normally the departments, or clubs (societies) themselves. For instance, the Environmental Science Department would plan an academic trip to Sommerset. Different clubs also regularly plan trips throughout the year. They tend to advertise it during Freshers, enticing you to join their society.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, just ask.
Reply 5
how much of a difference is it if you are in old or new court of st pats? and what are the differences
Reply 6
how is sibly hall I have got offer
Reply 7
Hey bud,
Old Court has larger rooms and it's quieter. Aesthetically it's definitely better. Old Court is separated into blocks, and each block has 12 rooms, 1 Kitchen, 3 Bathrooms. New Court on the other hand has corridors, with up to 30 rooms, I think 1 large kitchen for each corridor, and communal bathrooms (it more resembles the dorms in the U.S.).
Of the two sections, New Court is definitely more sociable. Expect loud music, people being loud before and after clubbing, and always having something to do (if you're a sociable person). I was in Old Court, and had a great time. I should say though that it really depends on all the people you're grouped with. If you don't get along with your roommates from your block, you might find yourself spending the majority of your time in another block / new court.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them!
Reply 8
Thanks i got a place at st pats this year woooo :smile: Would much rather new court, i kind of asked for it in my application and pointed out on purpose i was loud and outgoing so hopefully i get new court. Corridors does sound mroe sociable than more secluded kind of flats to be honest.

Also is the jcr committee active usually in st pats? and hows the food?
Reply 9
Teshnit, the JCR this year is great! I know each member very well and they're a great bunch of people. You're in good hands. As for food...well, it was pretty crap. It's a great bonding experience though. You'll make loads of friends complaining about how bad the food is - it might get better next year though. I try to stay optimistic when it comes to St. Pats food.

Prithviraj, I don't know much about Sibly I'm afraid. I haven't heard any complaints of my friends that lived there last year though. As long as it's not Bulmershe, you're good :cool:
Original post by foswissle
Teshnit, the JCR this year is great! I know each member very well and they're a great bunch of people. You're in good hands. As for food...well, it was pretty crap. It's a great bonding experience though. You'll make loads of friends complaining about how bad the food is - it might get better next year though. I try to stay optimistic when it comes to St. Pats food.

Prithviraj, I don't know much about Sibly I'm afraid. I haven't heard any complaints of my friends that lived there last year though. As long as it's not Bulmershe, you're good :cool:

What's wrong with Bulmershe? :/
Original post by natalie1313
What's wrong with Bulmershe? :/

I think the fact that they won't be teaching anything on Bulmershe in Oct and that it is a good 20-30 minute walk from the main campus will be a put off.
Reply 12
Original post by foswissle
H!

how leniant are they with grades?
in particular for psychology
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FTstudies
I think the fact that they won't be teaching anything on Bulmershe in Oct and that it is a good 20-30 minute walk from the main campus will be a put off.

Hmm I'm living there next year...don't think a 30 min walk should be too bad! Apart from the location, is the actual accommodation nice?
Original post by natalie1313
Hmm I'm living there next year...don't think a 30 min walk should be too bad! Apart from the location, is the actual accommodation nice?

Hmm, obviously I don't want to be pessismistic, the only reason I mention the distance is that I had to walk there almost everyday as I was in Mackinder Halls on Whiteknights, and my lectures/seminars were on Bulmershe, it was ok for the first 2-3 weeks, but then I ended up getting buses/taxis there hah. Facing the prospect of a 30 minute walk after a night out is... challenging to say the least!

Yeahh the accommodation is decent enough and you'll no doubt have a great time there, but I personally couldn't stand not being on the main campus.
Reply 15
Original post by ribbon
how leniant are they with grades?
in particular for psychology

It's dependent on many variables. There is a reasonable chance that some people who miss their offer well get in but whether you're among them or not is another question.
Reply 16
foswissle
QFA

Hey mate.

Just so you don't wonder where your thread has gone I thought to quote you and let you know that it's been moved in here, something I'm sure you don't object to. I was wondering if, similar to the other guy, you would write up your opinions on the accommodation choices you know about as my aim is to have many peoples opinions available and then I will refine the formatting and so on :smile:
Reply 17
Okay so I have sorted out the main frame of the OP now. If anybody has any suggestions of links to add or of information to include then let me know :smile:
I have a question. I might be going, but by clearing. Therefore what should I be looking at with regard to accommodation?
Reply 19
Original post by adamrules247
I have a question. I might be going, but by clearing. Therefore what should I be looking at with regard to accommodation?

Whatever is left presumably or I can send you in the direction of local student landlords with properties very close to the uni nearer the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending