The Student Room Group

A-level choices for economics or politics?

hey, i'm going to be picking my A-levels this year and i'm heading towards a politics/economics degree. (finger crossed i don't change my mind!) i've kept a science in there with maths just incase. i've decided on the following:

chemistry
maths
economics
gov+politics

i wanted to try a 5th subject for AS, and see if i can cope with it. which would you say is more beneficial for me and more "respected" & traditional?

philosophy, english literature or history?

thanks soo much :smile:
nadia.
Original post by onesoulfortwo
hey, i'm going to be picking my A-levels this year and i'm heading towards a politics/economics degree. (finger crossed i don't change my mind!) i've kept a science in there with maths just incase. i've decided on the following:

chemistry
maths
economics
gov+politics

i wanted to try a 5th subject for AS, and see if i can cope with it. which would you say is more beneficial for me and more "respected" & traditional?

nadia.

English Literature or Philosophy are better regarded than History in a general sense. However, since you are wanting to study Economics and Politics you would be better off with either Philosophy or History.

It then chalks up to the matter of which is more relevant,

Both of them will have chaff that is somewhat irrelevant to Econ/Politics but;

History will have plenty of, well, history - a good chronological backdrop is a Godsend for setting up the context of a discussion on politics.

Philosophy systematized politics and political systems, and really promotes clear and direct logical thought - which is great for any degree. The problem is you will encounter a lot of chaff about ethics which might not really be relevant. Philosophy is on-par with Eng. Lit. in terms of essay writing techniques.

English Lit. is very well respected, however a good knowledge of Chaucer or Marlowe does go a long way - it simply doesn't help as much as the other two.

That said If you pick the one you prefer, you will do best at it, and it will be of most use.

(NB: They combine Politics, Philosophy and Economics for a reason pick Philosophy it's better :colondollar: )
Reply 2
Original post by obstupefacere
English Literature or Philosophy are better regarded than History in a general sense. However, since you are wanting to study Economics and Politics you would be better off with either Philosophy or History.

It then chalks up to the matter of which is more relevant,

Both of them will have chaff that is somewhat irrelevant to Econ/Politics but;

History will have plenty of, well, history - a good chronological backdrop is a Godsend for setting up the context of a discussion on politics.

Philosophy systematized politics and political systems, and really promotes clear and direct logical thought - which is great for any degree. The problem is you will encounter a lot of chaff about ethics which might not really be relevant. Philosophy is on-par with Eng. Lit. in terms of essay writing techniques.

English Lit. is very well respected, however a good knowledge of Chaucer or Marlowe does go a long way - it simply doesn't help as much as the other two.

That said If you pick the one you prefer, you will do best at it, and it will be of most use.

(NB: They combine Politics, Philosophy and Economics for a reason pick Philosophy it's better :colondollar: )

LOL thank you! helped a lot, really :smile:
Reply 3
History would be very useful for what you want to do.
English Literature or Philosophy are better regarded than History in a general sense.

No, they're aren't. They are all equally as challenging and respectable. "in a general sense" should be changed to "in a personal sense" because what you are saying is misleading - the OP may be led to the conclusion that the general consensus is that History is a second-rate subject.
Original post by onesoulfortwo

chemistry
maths
economics
gov+politics

nadia.

I did Maths, GovPol, History and Eng Lit for AS - workload was heavy so I wouldn't recommend carrying on with five if it turns out you can't cope. I would say Eng or History because I found they linked with GovPol very well but I would choose the one I did best in or most interested in.
Reply 6
English Literature or Philosophy are better regarded than History in a general sense.

:lolwut: Stopped reading this post after this.

This is crap, OP. History is regarded just as highly as these subjects and they are on par. I think:

History=English Lit>>>>>Philosophy for an economics degree, although your other choices are very good so it doesn't matter that much which one you choose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Tateco

:lolwut: Stopped reading this post after this.

This is crap, OP. History is regarded just as highly as these subjects and they are on par. I think:

History>English Lit>>>>>Philosophy for an economics degree, although your other choices are very good so it doesn't matter that much which one you choose.

English Literature > History. :sexface:
Reply 8
Original post by Groat
English Literature > History. :sexface:

I've changed my post now, I think it is better that way :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Tateco
I've changed my post now, I think it is better that way :wink:

I guess I can accept that. :colondollar:
I would have said History that history is very relavent to both politics and economics but this will vary slightly depending on the modules your college offers e.g. at A2 I studied 'The Making of Modern Britain 1951-2007' which would be particularly appropriate.

Philosophy is also a suitable choice, especially if you are able to take political philosophy modules, which include topics such as ideologies, rights and the scope of the state

I would advise you to choose whichever you think you will enjoy most- I did both and loved them, but maybe consider factors such as precise options offered and teaching if you can find out such information
Reply 11
A strong comibation there, I'm looking to do a similar degree. Make sure you keep Maths, it opens your options far wider. I don't have it because I hate it but it has made things a bit harder.

Quick Reply