The Student Room Group

Approval for creationist school

.......is under threat before it's even admitted it's first pupil.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025587/Evangelical-church-application-set-new-free-school-teach-creationism-approved.html

What is so wrong with providing a Christian education these days? Even if the issue of the world's creation was taught accurately, which is what this school is proposing, what is wrong with that? If you have a problem with it, don't send your kids there. Simple.

This is just another example of religious persecution.

John 15:18-21
“If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you... If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you... because they do not know Him who sent Me."

Scroll to see replies

Teaching creationism should be considered child abuse. There is no evidence whatsoever to support it. It's akin to teaching flat earth theory or geocentrism.
Reply 2
As above
Religious persecution = Stopping BS from being taught in schools? :eyeball:

And your title is very misleading :colonhash:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Teaching creationism should be considered child abuse. There is no evidence whatsoever to support it. It's akin to teaching flat earth theory or geocentrism.

Thats basically what I was going to say.
Reply 5
Eton is doing fine, and managing not to fill the minds of its pupils with lies, so it beats your place on two counts.
Christian education should be treated like Islamic education.
Reply 7
Original post by Bakmouth
.......is under threat before it's even admitted it's first pupil.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025587/Evangelical-church-application-set-new-free-school-teach-creationism-approved.html

What is so wrong with providing a Christian education these days?

God clearly doesn't agree with it.
Reply 8
What is wrong with teaching both?
Reply 9
Original post by DYKWIA

Thank you. I have the confidence that most students at the school would be able to make the correct choice.
Reply 10
Teaching creationism should be considered child abuse.

Those are big words.

Are you saying that teaching Christianity is child abuse? How are children ever to know about Christianity if we are not permitted to teach biblical values?
Those are big words.

Are you saying that teaching Christianity is child abuse? How are children ever to know about Christianity if we are not permitted to teach biblical values?

Christianity can be taught without creationism. Creationism is almost pure fabrication and has nothing to do with values.

Edit: If I had my way, children would not learn religion at a young age at all. They should make the choice which religion to follow when they are much older, not be "pushed" into it by parents when they are at their most subsceptible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

Well, one's supported by a mountain of empirical evidence stretching back two billion years and almost unilaterally supported (99%) by professional biologists and other scientists, and the other is garbage that some paedophiles and lunatics in dog collars made up on the fly as a desperate attempt to counter the former.

When the creationists muster up some credible evidence, which they have none of to date, then we can consider teaching both. Since that day will never come, let's stick to the facts, shall we? Frak what people believe, it doesn't make them right - all the evidence points to evolution and if you want to ride roughshod over what your senses are telling you then you're probably not worth educating anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by CJM13

Edit: If I had my way, children would not learn religion at a young age at all. They should make the choice which religion to follow when they are much older, not be "pushed" into it by parents when they are at their most subsceptible.

But surely by learning nothing they are being 'pushed' towards atheism?
What's wrong with schools teaching both? Schools are meant to teach children science as we know it, and religion as a separate subject. I'm religious and I see no issue with children being taught both so that they can make a fully informed choice.

There's so much that can't be explained in the Genesis account of creationism (for example, who did Adam and Eve's children reproduce with?) that I'm far more willing to accept it as a kind of allegorical tale, inspired by God, who gave ancient societies the power to understand Him in a way that they could - they didn't have the scientific knowlegde that we do today. We've got evidence of evolution, of the Big Bang - there's no questioning it to be honest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by CJM13
Christianity can be taught without creationism. Creationism is almost pure fabrication and has nothing to do with values.

The concept of God creating humanity is a core belief.

Original sin, that is, Adam and Eve's transgression in the Garden of Eden, is a core belief. If it isn't, then what is the need for Christ?
Those are big words.

I was only suggesting that teaching Creationism was akin to child abuse, but now that you mention it yes, I do think that indoctrinating any child into a religion is an act of abuse.

Religion is as personal a topic as you can get - no parent has the right to force religious beliefs on their child. When they come of age, if they want to learn more about a religion, that's their choice, but don't you dare indoctrinate your children to believe such evil without their consent.

The responsibility of parents in educating their children extends to telling them facts about the natural and human world according to empirical investigation, their bodies and how they work, how to relate to and understand other humans, and in helping them distinguish right from wrong in their own societal context. It does not extend to forcing crap down their throats for eighteen years.
Reply 17
Original post by daisydaffodil
There's so much that can't be explained in the Genesis account of creationism (for example, who did Adam and Eve's children reproduce with?) that I'm far more willing to accept it as a kind of allegorical tale, inspired by God, who gave ancient societies the power to understand Him in a way that they could - they didn't have the scientific knowlegde that we do today. We've got evidence of evolution, of the Big Bang - there's no questioning it to be honest.

To answer your question, the children of Adam and Eve reproduced with themselves. Let's not forget that they had loads of children in addition to Cain, Abel and Seth.
Reply 18
I was only suggesting that teaching Creationism was akin to child abuse, but now that you mention it yes, I do think that indoctrinating any child into a religion is an act of abuse.

You would say that. Likewise, I could say that I believe not teaching children the Gospel is harmful and very damaging.

Religion is as personal a topic as you can get - no parent has the right to force religious beliefs on their child. When they come of age, if they want to learn more about a religion, that's their choice, but don't you dare indoctrinate your children to believe such evil without their consent.

The responsibility of parents in educating their children extends to telling them facts about the natural and human world according to empirical investigation, their bodies and how they work, how to relate to and understand other humans, and in helping them distinguish right from wrong in their own societal context. It does not extend to forcing crap down their throats for eighteen years.

It has nothing to do with 'forcing' anything on anyone. I was taught the evolutionist position at school as fact but I have managed to make my own decision. What I would like to see, and indeed this is what this school is doing, is children being given all the options, not just the one which is fashionable with scientists at the moment.
Reply 19
To answer your question, the children of Adam and Eve reproduced with themselves. Let's not forget that they had loads of children in addition to Cain, Abel and Seth.

So the children had incestuous relationships to produce more children?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending