The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2011-2012 :: Resources and Discussion Thread

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Will be around to help occasionally (as far as I can) with investigations and for exam/test questions (gives me a break from uni work :tongue:).
Ah, my thread has been surpassed :tongue:

Good luck.
Reply 3
Imma watch this thread and pretend I know chemistry.

Good luck.
Hey! :smile: I've not started properly yet, my school doesn't go back until next week. But I am an AH Chemist! :P
I suck at chemistry, but willing to help. :awesome:

It's a ****ing pain in the arse.
Still yet to start the course - same with Biology. Got my Scholar info out today though and don't fancy falling behind - anyone tell me what they managed to cover in the 3 weeks before summer for Biology and Chemistry?
Good luck with AH Chem you guys. It's a pretty mental subject but as long as you work hard throughout the year then you should be fine :biggrin:

I'll be around incase anyone needs help (same goes for maths and bio).
I'll be free to help you all with anything, including the fun that is investigations! :p: Have fun, work hard and good luck :smile:
One thing to consider with your investigation is, don't stress too much if your experiment fails miserably. I did extraction and analysis of caffeine in tea and coffee, and I ended up extracting some chemical that looked similar to caffeine, but turned out via NMR and IR analysis to be something that noone (including Heriot Watt university's technicians where I did the NMR/IR spectroscopy) could identify.

I also managed to soak a fume cupboard at school in thick >80C sodium hydroxide and coffee mixture (pic included for giggles):

I still managed to get 24/25 on the investigation, so yeah, don't panic like I did if everything goes wrong. :P

EDIT: On a side note, the Bright Red AH Chemistry revision book is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT and I would 100% recommend it to anyone studying AH chemistry. In a lot of ways, it's better than Scholar IMO.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Serojoal
One thing to consider with your investigation is, don't stress too much if your experiment fails miserably. I did extraction and analysis of caffeine in tea and coffee, and I ended up extracting some chemical that looked similar to caffeine, but turned out via NMR and IR analysis to be something that noone (including Heriot Watt university's technicians where I did the NMR/IR spectroscopy) could identify.

I also managed to soak a fume cupboard at school in thick >80C sodium hydroxide and coffee mixture (pic included for giggles):

I still managed to get 24/25 on the investigation, so yeah, don't panic like I did if everything goes wrong. :P

EDIT: On a side note, the Bright Red AH Chemistry revision book is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT and I would 100% recommend it to anyone studying AH chemistry. In a lot of ways, it's better than Scholar IMO.

Haha, that looks very similar to my investigation setup. I managed to explode some glassware instead though :tongue:

How did you find out what you got? I wish I knew what mark I got!
Original post by ScottishShortiex
How did you find out what you got? I wish I knew what mark I got!

Your school will be able to tell you. Ask your chemistry teacher :smile:
Your school will be able to tell you. Ask your chemistry teacher :smile:

Ok thanks, will do! :smile:
Reply 14
I love that this thread is just full of past students. There has only been two people posting who are studying it this year.
Reply 15
I'm thinking of comparing the ethanol content of my dad's dragon alcohol to shop bought stuff for my investigation, yummers!
Still haven't started the course...
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Still haven't started the course...

Nor have I, I had my first two periods of it today, but we were just getting materials issued and talking about the investigation. I've not got the best teacher - oh well, I'll just have to grin and bear it :P
Original post by derangedyoshi
Nor have I, I had my first two periods of it today, but we were just getting materials issued and talking about the investigation. I've not got the best teacher - oh well, I'll just have to grin and bear it :P

All the waiting sucks doesn't it? I just haven't found a school I can go to yet!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
All the waiting sucks doesn't it? I just haven't found a school I can go to yet!

Oh right, okay - unlucky! Fortunately my school runs most AHs - I just hadn'tt started till today because we weren't back until yesterday :L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending