The Student Room Group

Clearing

Hi all. I'm new to this.
i just need some advice as i am so confused.
i have a place at de montfort university and i'm living at home but i have changed my mind and want to go to manchester to study. i have spoke to them and they have said that i would need to go through clearing in order to study there, however they can't tell me what courses are going in.
so, do i risk being relaesed from DMU or stick with my place.
Any advice would be great. thanks :smile:.
Original post by nspud

Original post by nspud
Hi all. I'm new to this.
i have a place at de montfort university and i'm living at home but i have changed my mind and want to go to manchester to study. i have spoke to them and they have said that i would need to go through clearing in order to study there, however they can't tell me what courses are going in.

Given what Manchester is saying to its firm applicants (i.e. if you don't get the grades, you won't be getting a place), it seems likely that there will be only very limited (if any) clearing places available at Manchester, therefore the odds of it working out for you are low. Therefore, I wouldn't be giving up that DMU place too soon, unless you know that you do not want to study at DMU (and ultimately would rather reapply than go to DMU). One option is to look on results day, see what is in clearing and then think about being released (although the danger is that by the time the release has gone through, places have gone). If nothing suitable comes up in clearing then you either go to DMU or you reapply.

Ultimately, the decision rests on whether you would rather go to DMU or reapply, since that is a big risk if you did decide to get released from DMU. Saying that, try to consider such a decision in isolation of the fees change, because it shouldn't impact whether you go this year or next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
i know i don't want to be at dmu i definitely want to move away, manchester is my first univeristy i'd choose to move. i've been looking at their courses and have wrote down 7 courses that i could do that are all related, in a hope they come through clearing. i have been looking at other universities too, to keep my options open. by reapply do you mean next year reapply, for 2012? i had my heart set on going this year.
i've seen that another good university has already released their clearing list and theres a course i could do.
i was thinking that if i were to ring and asked to be released tomorrow i would get my clearing number in time for when it came down.
i think it's the fact that i may get no place what's putting me off :confused:
Original post by nspud
i know i don't want to be at dmu i definitely want to move away, manchester is my first univeristy i'd choose to move. i've been looking at their courses and have wrote down 7 courses that i could do that are all related, in a hope they come through clearing. i have been looking at other universities too, to keep my options open. by reapply do you mean next year reapply, for 2012? i had my heart set on going this year.
i've seen that another good university has already released their clearing list and theres a course i could do.
i was thinking that if i were to ring and asked to be released tomorrow i would get my clearing number in time for when it came down.

It's unlikely that they'd speak to you tomorrow because they'll be busy processing your results.

If you're sure you'd rather risk going nowhere this year, your best bet is to get through to DMU as soon as their lines are open on Thursday and ask them to release you quickly.

Don't worry about the Clearing number, it's pretty much instant - if the system detects you're in Clearing, it will automatically assign you one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nspud

Original post by nspud

Yes, I meant reapplying in 2012. You have to remember that while clearing does provide opportunity to change, only about 1 in 5 people in clearing actually get a place, so there is more chance that once in clearing you will not get a place than that you will, which would mean that you need to reapply. I don't want to put you off, because there is no point going to DMU if you later drop out, and you still might get somewhere at Manchester or elsewhere, but you do need to be satisfied that if it came to it, you would rather reapply next year than go to DMU.
Reply 5
Original post by nspud
Hi all. I'm new to this.

manchester met have there clearing list up if thats any help :s-smilie:
Original post by nspud

If you don't want to go to DMU then you shouldn't go as if you drop out it will put you in a more difficult position regarding fees and loans. However be prepared to not get a place anywhere. Taking a year out isn't a bad thing and going next year instead will be no worse or different even with the higher fees as they impact won't be much worse than now apart from taking longer to pay it all back.

Put it this way are you so desperate to go this year that'd you go anywhere or would you rather wait a year and go somewhere you actually want?
Reply 7
sorry i don't know how to put what you have said in to a box aha.

the sownrose -
so if i were to asked to be put in clearing on the thursday could i start choosing courses the same day?

f1 fanatic -
wow. do a lot of people end up reapplying then to get on a course they couldn't previously?
i don't want to go dmmu but i really don't want to end up waiting a whole year for univeristy. tuitions go up in 2012 also don't they?
i mean if i stuck with dmu and really didn't get on well could i transfer somewhere?
Be very careful if you're considering trying to get into Manchester through Clearing - there are very few places available.
Original post by nspud

Original post by nspud
wow. do a lot of people end up reapplying then to get on a course they couldn't previously?
i don't want to go dmmu but i really don't want to end up waiting a whole year for univeristy. tuitions go up in 2012 also don't they?
i mean if i stuck with dmu and really didn't get on well could i transfer somewhere?

Historically yes, a lot of people do reapply if they change their minds or don't get the grades they want. However, it remains to be seen if that happens this year with the fee rise putting people off. However, as I said the fee rise isn't something that should put you off going to university in 2012, because as happydinosaur said, it only changes the amount of time it takes to pay off (up to 25 years, after which it's wiped). You actually pay less per month under the new scheme than you would currently.

It is possible to transfer from one university to another, but you'd need to do a whole year at least and then transfer into the start of 2nd year, if they would let you. It's not something that you can necessarily rely on to get you out of a university you're not happy with.
Reply 10
Original post by nspud
sorry i don't know how to put what you have said in to a box aha.

the sownrose -
so if i were to asked to be put in clearing on the thursday could i start choosing courses the same day?

f1 fanatic -

If you get released before Thursday, then yes you'll have your Clearing number and will be ready for ringing up institutions in the hope of a place. I would say though that Clearing is nearer to a 1 in 6 chance, it's bad odds in the most competitive Clearing yet, and that's not even factoring the odds for your actual course which will be tiny.

Tuition fees do rise to 6k-9k next year which is why this year has seen the greatest number of applications and will produce the most competitive Clearing.

It's not an easy thing transferring between universities I don't think but I could be wrong. I would mention though that if you end up leaving university early, it can create problems with regards to having to pay back any overpaid student loans/grants. I'd also mention that if you did find a place in Clearing, you'd struggle to get a university accomodation place and would have to look at sorting that out externally.
Original post by nspud
the sownrose -

If they released you on the Thursday (which, if you get in very early, they hopefully do) then yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending