The Student Room Group

Change Courses?

Hi I chose a low offer as my firm as I rejected my offers but now I have been looking up clearing vaccinces (those unis which have lists up) and want to change my course. But it is unlikely I won't get 200 points so what can I do if I want to go for clearing? would unis speak to me if I gave them my personal ID number for ucas rather than a clearing number? I am really confused and stressed.
Get your firm to release you on Thursday, then you get a Clearing number which you can give to universities. Alternatively, if you exceed the offer, you could try Adjustment.

Be warned that, with Clearing, the risk is you don't get another place and your firm offer is lost to the wind, so you can only reapply. In Adjustment, you keep your firm whilst looking ... but statistically, it has about half the success rate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
The success rate in Adjustment is actually really small - but lots of people register in error. Universities will probably not consider you unless you have either a clearing number or are registered for Adjustment, as they will have so many other callers who are eligible! However, if you do register for adjustment and look for somewhere that is advertising clearing vacancies, there's no reason why they shouldn't accept you. It might be worth ringing some Unis before they get really busy on the 18th to see if they will be using Adjustment this year
Reply 3
Original post by Sonam1471
Hi I chose a low offer as my firm as I rejected my offers but now I have been looking up clearing vaccinces (those unis which have lists up) and want to change my course. But it is unlikely I won't get 200 points so what can I do if I want to go for clearing? would unis speak to me if I gave them my personal ID number for ucas rather than a clearing number? I am really confused and stressed.

What you need to be going in for is adjustment. If you exceed your offer by a whole grade or more then you are eligible to hold on to your current firm place AND look around for a better place if you can find one. Not very many people find places in this way, but it could be worth a try, just to see what you can get really - after all, there's no risk involved and nothing to lose! You do need to make yourself aware of the process before Thursday, though. And calm down. Universities can't do anything now, they're processing A-level results, nothing will change and you can't do anything until Thursday. So just make sure you get your facts right, know what you're doing on Thursday morning, and good luck! :smile:

Read, and memorise, this! http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/
If it's any help, I think that the statistics with adjustment can be misleading and I actually think you're in the kind of position (grades and situation wise) to stand a good shot of getting something out of adjustment. I think you're better off with adjustment rather than clearing if it's available to you (ie if you exceed your firm offer).
Original post by F1 fanatic
If it's any help, I think that the statistics with adjustment can be misleading and I actually think you're in the kind of position (grades and situation wise) to stand a good shot of getting something out of adjustment. I think you're better off with adjustment rather than clearing if it's available to you (ie if you exceed your firm offer).

Statistics are always misleading. :p: The Clearing ones are too; it works out as a 20% success rate, but because anyone eligible for it is entered into it it counts everyone. You may find only half or a third of people in Clearing are actually using it, so your chances are dramatically increased.
Original post by TheSownRose

Original post by TheSownRose
Statistics are always misleading. :p: The Clearing ones are too; it works out as a 20% success rate, but because anyone eligible for it is entered into it it counts everyone. You may find only half or a third of people in Clearing are actually using it, so your chances are dramatically increased.

Lies, damn lies and statistics, as they say... :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending