The Student Room Group

The worst books you've ever read

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I like Catcher in the Rye!

The books I hate are the ones that my friend made me read like 21 by Brett Easton and the Chelsea Handler book.
I didn't like Brave New World very much, and I found Digital Fortress by Dan Brown to be pretty good so I was disappointed when the Da Vinci Code didn't live up to the hype.
Also, I don't know why there is so much Twilight bashing, its an OK book that makes for some good light reading.
Original post by .Scout.
We Need to Talk About Kevin.

This has been the only book ever, that I have not been able to finish: even if I'm not enjoying a book, I still finish it out of principle and just incase it gets better. However, We Need to Talk About Kevin was utterly unreadable. It seemed as if the author had used a thesaurus to look up EVERY word, shoving in big, clever, words in in order to sound more articulate and clever: it just made it sound unnatural and annoying. Pages and pages of pointless description could've easily been condensed into a paragraph.

Even the 'shocking' twist was predictable.

I really quite liked it but oh man I agree so much on the long words thing! "Dolorousness" and "drollery" instead of sadness and funniness wtf so pretentious. I just tried to pretend that that was the way the character was meant to be cause she's all like I'm so much better than other Americans cause I've been to Europe etc but I get a bad feeling it's just Lionel Shriver's writing style haha.

It did make me want to rip my uterus out though, so there's that
Reply 64
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

forgive me fanboys :hide:
Great Expectations. The unabridged edition. Dear God.
Erm Go Ask Alice was pretty dreadful in a funny ~satanic panic way. I read it in like year 7 and was really scandalised by it and then found it on a staircase in my school (it was the school library's copy) and so decided to re-read it for a laugh before giving it back, SO BAD! "I did drugs this one time AND THEN I GOT ADDICTED TO HEROIN AND BECAME A PROSTITUTE AND DIED DON'T DO DRUGS KIDS", like Judy Blume on crack
Reply 67
When I first read Twilight I didn't think it was that bad, until I remembered how every single character was a Mary Sue... but besides that, 'Digital Fortress' by Dan Brown is unspeakably dire.

EDIT: oh, I almost forgot about this. Not sure if it counts as a 'book', but I'd be willing to bet that My Immortal is among the worst pieces of literature on Earth. Tragically the rehost site appears to be down, but if you can find it elsewhere it's an utterly hilarious read.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Lewroll
I told one of my teachers I was going to read the Da vinci Code and then he went into a 10minute rant about how awful it is and he told me not to read it lol I don't actually know if its any good or not :tongue:

It's a decent read but not a good book.
The Kite Runner.
Erg.
Reply 70
That one by Patrick Rothfuss- The Name of the Wind.
Original post by Tefhel
Northern Lights. Utter crap, I hated it and couldn't finish it.

:zomg: Northern Lights is amazing! what didn't you like about it?
Reply 72
This book about some kid who gets brainwashed by aliens and learns french. Even as an 8 year old I remember wondering how such poor crap could get published, never mind being chosen as a syllabus leading book by my teacher.
Reply 73
oo urmmm some book called 'forbidden' i think :/

soo weird about a brother and sister who fall in love and have sex together :confused: eww
Reply 74
Original post by bammzie
I'd have to say "A Handmaid's Tale" which I had to read for English...Plot's great, but the way it's written is so complicated...

I loved it, and I usually hate hate hate dystopian literature.

I tried to read the Wicked book, but just couldnt get into it at all. Thats the only one i can think of atm.
'The Neverending Story'

Can't believe it ended :angry:
The House of Night series.
Reply 77
Our Town, but that's probably because it's a play and not meant to be annotated down to every letter from the characters' lines to the stage directions for English class.
I don't really dislike any book, I usually always find myself gripped in the story. The last book I can remember which I didn't enjoy was Inkheart.
Reply 78
Twilight series.
First book alright.
Same book four times over.
Worst of all: they turned it into a terrible series of films!
:wink:
Reply 79
Original post by pulpleah
twilight and wuthering heights eurgh!

Really??? You don't like wuthering heights??? what do you hate about it? I think you are the first person I hear saying that... I love that book!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending