The Student Room Group

The worst books you've ever read

So, we've had thread after thread talking about the best books ever, or the books that all of you would happily recommend to the next book lover. As we all know, with every positive, there has to be a negative!

So, what would you say is possibly the worst book you have ever read?

I'll start off. My cousin forced me to read Twilight. Worst experience of my life. I like vampires. I like love stories. But that? That made my eyes bleed.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd have to say "A Handmaid's Tale" which I had to read for English...Plot's great, but the way it's written is so complicated...

Wow, so much negative rep for stating an opinion...
(edited 12 years ago)
harry potter and the philosophers stone.

thank you for all the neg, i love it!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
1983, it's follow up was much better.
Original post by bammzie
I'd have to say "A Handmaid's Tale" which I had to read for English...Plot's great, but the way it's written is so complicated...

I studied it as well for the IB. I just getting confused over who was who, but then I get confused horribly easily, so that probably explained an awful lot :smile:
I told one of my teachers I was going to read the Da vinci Code and then he went into a 10minute rant about how awful it is and he told me not to read it lol I don't actually know if its any good or not :tongue:
Twilight
Original post by Lewroll
I told one of my teachers I was going to read the Da vinci Code and then he went into a 10minute rant about how awful it is and he told me not to read it lol I don't actually know if its any good or not :tongue:

It's not that bad if you like that sort of thing really, but the general consensus is that it's a pretty bad book :rolleyes:
The Da Vinci Code.
The Great Gatsby. It's so bad I wouldn't even use it as toilet paper.
Reply 10
twilight and wuthering heights eurgh!
IMO it really depends on why you read books.
If you're really into "literature" and classics, and the language that is used, etc. then you're going to find books like the da vinci code crap.
If you read books, just as a hobby, or just for enjoyment, in a light hearted way, then you will find plot to be quite a big factor, and so enjoy books like the da vinci code.
This won't apply to everyone, but can you see where im coming from?
Reply 12
I'd probably have to say Eragon. It's simply unequivocally bad.

The plot is so close to that of Star Wars that a fairly detailed synopsis can apply equally to both of them. His writing is unoriginal, lacks imagination, and leans on the work of greater authors - including Eddings, Tolkien, and countless others. For those interested, I've pasted one of the better comparisons into the spoiler below. Once you've read it, feel free to tell me which of the two you think it's referring to.

Spoiler

His age at the time of writing it is irrelevant to me. Were it not for the fact that his parents were publishers, Eragon would have been laughed out of the building whether Paolini was 15 or 45.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Catcher in le Rye
Reply 14
Yeah Twilight was pretty bad
Twilight without a doubt but that seems like a boring response so I'll say Othello.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that there is some beautiful wording in there and that Shakespeare was an absolute genius but I can never get into his works at all (and that's coming from someone who loves literature).
Original post by supernova92
IMO it really depends on why you read books.
If you're really into "literature" and classics, and the language that is used, etc. then you're going to find books like the da vinci code crap.
If you read books, just as a hobby, or just for enjoyment, in a light hearted way, then you will find plot to be quite a big factor, and so enjoy books like the da vinci code.
This won't apply to everyone, but can you see where im coming from?

I can understand completely where you are coming from. Personally, I love classic literature, but I was just interested in the opinions that other people would have considering how subjective the ideas of good and bad are :smile:
Angels & Demons - Dan Brown.
Original post by TheSmithsIndeed
Twilight without a doubt but that seems like a boring response so I'll say Othello.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that there is some beautiful wording in there and that Shakespeare was an absolute genius but I can never get into his works at all (and that's coming from someone who loves literature).

to be honest, I just don't understand why anyone would want to read a play, that's not what they're for.
Original post by bammzie

You have got to be kidding. Complicated? Seriously?

AHT has to be one of the best books I've ever read. I cannot recommend it enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending