The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends which instrument, and obviously which uni. I play the flute, so obviously I keep it in my room. They have storage space for keeping larger instruments, but then, my friend who plays the cello also keeps hers in her room, so...
Depends on how secure your room is really! Plus find out if you would still be insured if you left it in university storage - some have disclaimers 'left here at your own risk' etc
Reply 3
I keep my clarinet in my room, I suppose I never really checked at the music department...
Reply 4
Check your insurance covers it being stored somewhere other than home for an extended period of time. I have instrument insurance but if it is covered under the household policy and it got stolen from your room there could be trouble

Ilovepuremaths
Depends on how secure your room is really! Plus find out if you would still be insured if you left it in university storage - some have disclaimers 'left here at your own risk' etc
Reply 5
Whats the deal with amps at uni? I really don't think i could live without my bass!
beth_geog
Whats the deal with amps at uni? I really don't think i could live without my bass!

Get a headphone amp, like the Bass Pod. I doubt people would appreciate you playing an amplified bass in halls, but you could probably use the music department facilities should you need to.
Dr. Blazed
Get a headphone amp, like the Bass Pod. I doubt people would appreciate you playing an amplified bass in halls, but you could probably use the music department facilities should you need to.

I don't know about other unis, but at Sheffield there is a music practice room in the union which can be booked out. Quite handy if you play loud instruments.

Although saying that, I play trumpet/cornet and I just put up with the banging on the wall from next door. Sometimes it can make a good metronome...
beth_geog

You're not allowed amplified music in my halls.
Reply 9
I keep mine in my room usually, but there is a storage room for instruments in the department.
Reply 10
Cool, thanks everyone for your help. I play the french horn and I'm kinda thinking that it'll probs be too big to fit in my room, so I'll probably keep it in the music block, as long as it's safe!
French Horns aren't that big! I've got a trumpet and a violin in my room. There is probably more space than you think!!
Reply 12
susiemakemeblue

susie- where do you practise? i left my flute at home cos i didnt really wanna be blasting it out to everyone in halls..
hmmmm really want to bring my cello to uni to do orchestras and the like, but size is an issue. Is it worth it? Any chance it would fit under my bed? (it's in a hard case so bigger than me)
susiemakemeblue

How many people actually stuck to that though :redface:

One of my house mates had an amp, because he played the guitar and the bass, and it was mainly kept in our kitchen, and loads of my flatmates had jamming sessions every so often, which no one minded about.

I'd draw the line at playing it really late at night though, a guy below me often played two or three notes of his guitar well into the early hours; not long enough to annoy you, but enough to wake you up :mad:

If you want to risk taking an amp to uni, just ask your flatmates if they mind you playing every so often; the courtesy I bet would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 15
Fleece
susie- where do you practise? i left my flute at home cos i didnt really wanna be blasting it out to everyone in halls..

I play my saxophone in my room! Flute is fine!
Reply 16
yeah but damn its loud! i can hear people talking/watching tv so me blasting flute would be well loud..
Reply 17
That is fine though! My sax will be a LOT louder than your flute!!
Reply 18
its not really fine - it's disturbing people!
oooh i dunno bout that! :p:
Reply 19
It isn't disturbing people if you let them know you have it with you and might play it. As long as it is at a reasonably hour, most normal people would be fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending