The Student Room Group

Geography A level?

Im thinking ofdoing geography A level
Could some one tell me what its like, what it entails and general career prospects one could enter from it and subjects like maths, english and psycology
Reply 1
I enjoyed Geography at A level-I was with the Edexcel exam board I think. It wasn't difficult at all, especially if you did it at GCSE, however the essay questions can get quite long. Also there are a large amount of field-trips compared to the other subjects. Future career prospects could include working with the council, or of course going onto do a degree in a specific field of geography, or just geography itself.
Human Geog is brilliant, I particularly enjoyed the economic cross - over such as looking at oil prices etc..

But the physical is unbelievably dull and pointless. Learning about bloody rock structure and glaciers was just awful but this is only my opinion, some people really enjoy the physical side as oppose to human geog.
I did geography a level with the AQA exam board. You have to learn and study 4 topics. It's spilt into human and pysical geography, in physical geography you have a core topic (the topic which you have to do) which was Rivers and then you have to chose another topic to learn in the physical geog section and i think the school choses the otherl topic and our school chose deserts. I found physical geography quite boring. In human geography the core topic is human population and the other topic that our school chose to learn is health i think. I absolutely loved human geography :smile: it was just amazing.
You sit two papers one paper is 2 hours long, and the skills paper is 1 hour 30 mins long i think. The only downside to geography i thought was the amount of case studies and statistics i had to learn.

hope that helped a bit :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by leobutterfly
I did geography a level with the AQA exam board. You have to learn and study 4 topics. It's spilt into human and pysical geography, in physical geography you have a core topic (the topic which you have to do) which was Rivers and then you have to chose another topic to learn in the physical geog section and i think the school choses the otherl topic and our school chose deserts. I found physical geography quite boring. In human geography the core topic is human population and the other topic that our school chose to learn is health i think. I absolutely loved human geography :smile: it was just amazing.
You sit two papers one paper is 2 hours long, and the skills paper is 1 hour 30 mins long i think. The only downside to geography i thought was the amount of case studies and statistics i had to learn.

hope that helped a bit :smile:

1 hour
Original post by tehforum
1 hour

sorry yeah your right it is one hour :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 123Josh123
I enjoyed Geography at A level-I was with the Edexcel exam board I think. It wasn't difficult at all, especially if you did it at GCSE, however the essay questions can get quite long. Also there are a large amount of field-trips compared to the other subjects. Future career prospects could include working with the council, or of course going onto do a degree in a specific field of geography, or just geography itself.

But I havent done geography gcse....
Reply 7
That's fine, someone in my class didn't do it at GCSE and still got a B at A2, and she didn't work all that much. As long as your willing to put the effort it, you should find it a good subject.
Reply 8
I'm doing the Cambridge Pre-U Geography, and we do the following topics:

Physical:
-Tectonics
-Hydrology
-Coastal environments
-Atmospheric environment

Human:
-Health and disease
-Inequality and poverty
-Migration and urban change
-Tourism
Reply 9
It's a great A level that is on the Russell Group 'facilitating' list http://russellgroup.org/Informed%20Choices%20final.pdf
Reply 10
I loved geography, it was probably my favorite subject at A Level. I preferred Physical geography because i find it a little bit more challenging to Human, but you do get to study quite interesting things, i did Cold environments and Conflict when i did my alevels, they were really interesting topics. I think i did it on AQA. When you do it at A2 you have to link area of geography together, so its not hard to forget stuff as it does all link in together. But yeah its pretty good.

Quick Reply

Latest