The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering - Clearing Places

Is CE highly competitive? Will there be any places in clearing? CE is my backup choice if I don't get into Pharmacy so I would like to know if it's likely to be in clearing. I am looking to get BBC-BCD (in Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively). Obviously with those sort of grades, I will be looking at the lower end universities. What universities were in clearing last year for CE?

P.S. - I have already prepared a new personal statement but should I also prepare for a mini interview/talk if someone does want to talk to me in depth?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I checked out the clearing tables for uni entry last year just to see what would be competitive this year when I applied and I recall that there where fairly slim pickings with Engineering subjects in general and the ones that I did find where for international students in general.
Reply 2
Original post by mkb230
Is CE highly competitive? Will there be any places in clearing? CE is my backup choice if I don't get into Pharmacy so I would like to know if it's likely to be in clearing. I am looking to get BBC-BCD (in Maths, Chemistry and Biology respectively). Obviously with those sort of grades, I will be looking at the lower end universities. What universities were in clearing last year for CE?

P.S. - I have already prepared a new personal statement but should I also prepare for a mini interview/talk if someone does want to talk to me in depth?

chem eng is hard!!!! theres hardly any chem/bio..its basically all maths
Reply 3
Original post by Davethedavedave
I checked out the clearing tables for uni entry last year just to see what would be competitive this year when I applied and I recall that there where fairly slim pickings with Engineering subjects in general and the ones that I did find where for international students in general.

Yeah I couldn't find a lot of uni's except London South bank and the course doesn't look so good to say the least. Their entry requirements ranges from 40-120 UCAS points. I really don't want to take a gap year though and CE is my last resort. Any other engineering courses that usually go into clearing like EEE or Mechanical engineering?

Original post by 0zero0
chem eng is hard!!!! theres hardly any chem/bio..its basically all maths

Yes that's one of the reasons that I would like to do it if I don't get into my firm. I have heard that the Chemistry content is surprisingly low but there is a lot of Maths involved and Maths is my strongest subject. I don't particularly like Physics but I can cope with it as long as it's in moderation. Are you currently doing CE and if yes then what sort of grades did you get?
Have you tried university of Bradford?

It also does ChemEng albiet with a lot lower entry requirements
Reply 5
Original post by Soppe
Have you tried university of Bradford?

It also does ChemEng albiet with a lot lower entry requirements

Yes I have and they want a minimum of 260 points which shouldn't be a problem for me but I don't know if it's going to go into clearing. Very few universities offer CE and most of them want decent grades. If only I had done some revision during exam time :angry:
Reply 6
Original post by mkb230
Yes I have and they want a minimum of 260 points which shouldn't be a problem for me but I don't know if it's going to go into clearing. Very few universities offer CE and most of them want decent grades. If only I had done some revision during exam time :angry:

how did it go? if there are places avail.. try lough for chem eng, they seem to take people with b's and c's
Reply 7
I was looking at clearing places for chem eng on thursday before I got accepted to my first choice... I think Aston University and University of Bradford are your best bet if you're searching for low entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest