The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Is the University of dundee good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DanBrwn
Cool. Because your mum is good at english means you are as good. Nice logic.

Bye

genetics. and pure unadulterated talent.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 41
Original post by DanBrwn
Are you completely brain dead? She wants to know EVERYTHING not just the student areas. Im sure the student areas are lovely but I am telling what I know. Stop trying to argue the facts. Im not trying to argue yours.

Well clearly you can't tell them everything, so why not focus on the things that might actually affect students? The cocaine problem does not; you'd be as well saying how many people have pets in Dundee.
Reply 42
wow, this is funny. i've lived in Dundee and haven't really encountered any situations involving drugs. the university is in a great location, close to good nightlife and shops. the uni has one of the best unions in scotland and is always throwing events. yes there may be drug problems in some areas, but if you don't go looking for them you will definatly avoid them...
To be honest, I don't know what a few of you are talking about with Dundee being an ugly city. I've been there and most of it is fresh and new/modern. Drugs are a problem everywhere as has been mentioned but drugs are only a problem to you if you take them. There is no more threat of being harassed by drug takers in Dundee as there is in any other middling sized city. Having a good street-wise awareness is paramount anywhere you go.

P.S. It depends on how many cities in Scotland you've been to regarding the drug problem. Scottish cities are all riddled with drugs. I've been to every city in Scotland and found Stirling to be the worst I saw.....
Reply 44
Original post by marcanthony
To be honest, I don't know what a few of you are talking about with Dundee being an ugly city. I've been there and most of it is fresh and new/modern. Drugs are a problem everywhere as has been mentioned but drugs are only a problem to you if you take them. There is no more threat of being harassed by drug takers in Dundee as there is in any other middling sized city. Having a good street-wise awareness is paramount anywhere you go.

P.S. It depends on how many cities in Scotland you've been to regarding the drug problem. Scottish cities are all riddled with drugs. I've been to every city in Scotland and found Stirling to be the worst I saw.....

Lol where did you go in Stirling? I'm from there- definitely a few bad areas but they're not on a large scale. I've never seen open drug taking/dealing or anything in the city centre...
I was staying with a friend just outside in a scheme. You go under and underpass to get to it. Can't remember the name.

Nah, just the ratio of clear druggies to normal people was pretty high but that could have just been on the day that I was there so no offence mate.
Reply 46
Original post by marcanthony
I was staying with a friend just outside in a scheme. You go under and underpass to get to it. Can't remember the name.

Nah, just the ratio of clear druggies to normal people was pretty high but that could have just been on the day that I was there so no offence mate.

Oh yeah think I know where that is. There are some bad areas but the town centre's generally ok. Don't worry about offending me I'm not that attached to it:tongue:
Original post by DanBrwn
Sorry, let me re-phrase what I said. Dundee has one of the worst drugs problems in Scotland. If the results were taken as offenses to the population I imagine it would be far higher. Almost everyone I have spoken to that is in the police (A lot, my parents are both in the police and my dad is a chief inspector) has said - when asked - that Dundee is a cocaine capital for Scotland which is only backed up by the last two big drugs busts in Dundee which seized £50,000 and £20,000 of cocaine.

Perhaps you should take a gap year to mature a little because "HAAAA" isn't generally accepted as a remotely mature come back to someone. Aslo I would like to add that not once have I been stereotypical about anyone, perhaps if you read my comments you would see that. Stop being so ignorant.

I don't mean to be hasty or rude here but in absolute fairness and with all due respect, the police's awareness of drugs or the amount that they seize is nowhere near relative to the amount that a given city actually has. Basing Dundee's drug culture on police figures is therefore inaccurate.

Hint, Dundee has a harbour.
Reply 48
Ok, we get in DanBrwn you clearly don't like Dundee.

I am from Perth, a mere 20-30 minutes from Dundee (check a map, on the internet or something). It is no where near as bad as you are making out. The uni is in a fantastic location, very central to the main city centre. Every town has it's junkies and whatever else, I can't see how Dundee is so bad.

It's a petty argument, you're from the Highlands and are going to Edinburgh. I don't know why you're even in this thread other than to cause a pointless circular argument about the volume of narcotics in a city you know little about. Sheesh.
Original post by L i b
Considering the way 'street value' is determined, that's not really very much in cocaine terms. Anyway, cocaine is not a drug that causes significant social problems - it is (although less so nowadays) a middle-class drug and a "party drug".

True, yuppie conspiracy at it's best.

Btw, are you from Dundee?
Original post by Jessicalily
Pah, god no, i doubt they'd put a first or 2nd year as a supervisor anyway.

Yeh I'll let you know! Hopefully it'll be around the 19th, here's hoping anyway.
why the neg!?!

I never negged you. I can neg you now if you want, you know to prove it.haha

Well I just got an email. They told me I wasn't able to get the job as I'm a student and not allowed to do 20hrs a week, first I'd heard of that?

Maybe it was the sort of thing employers tell you when they really mean "did you actually just try and get a job with an application like that?"

Did you heard back?

It'l be pretty awkward if you've got the job.lol
Original post by bestofyou
I never negged you. I can neg you now if you want, you know to prove it.haha

Well I just got an email. They told me I wasn't able to get the job as I'm a student and not allowed to do 20hrs a week, first I'd heard of that?

Maybe it was the sort of thing employers tell you when they really mean "did you actually just try and get a job with an application like that?"

Did you heard back?

It'l be pretty awkward if you've got the job.lol

Haha, I got an interview! And then they called me back 5 minutes later going "OH sorry we thought you were for full time, sooooo... no interview.." and they told me they'll keep my details for a part time one. I had no idea it was full time either, pretty random! At least it wasn't just 1 of us :smile:
Reply 52
Is Dundee good for Business/languages anybody?!

- Looking at International Business with German.

Sounds like it'd be easy to obtain ecstasy

Think I'll apply
Reply 54
Is anyone here doing History at Dundee, Whats the course like?
Original post by Eoghan523
Is anyone here doing History at Dundee, Whats the course like?

I'm only in first year,

but its pretty good so far. We are doing age of revolutio this term, so thats like french rev. american rev, haiti rev. etc. Then Britian in the C20 next term, which has **** topics eg Culture, Gender, Religion and the 'Sixties' cultural revolution, but some good ones like WW1/WW2 the Irish question, the troubles etc.

You have to pick 3 subject though. So say you apply for history, in first and second year you pick history, english, german for example. You'll have two 1hr history lectures a week, and a1hr tutorial, then something similar for whatever other two subjects you pick.

It means for 3rd 4th year, you can pick a degree in english instead of history in case you didn't like history.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
I'm only in first year,

but its pretty good so far. We are doing age of revolutio this term, so thats like french rev. american rev, haiti rev. etc. Then Britian in the C20 next term, which has **** topics eg Culture, Gender, Religion and the 'Sixties' cultural revolution, but some good ones like WW1/WW2 the Irish question, the troubles etc.

You have to pick 3 subject though. So say you apply for history, in first and second year you pick history, english, german for example. You'll have two 1hr history lectures a week, and a1hr tutorial, then something similar for whatever other two subjects you pick.

It means for 3rd 4th year, you can pick a degree in english instead of history in case you didn't like history.

Lethal, All good topics, the Irish History part would be good craic tho,

How does that 3 subject choice work is it the equivalent to a major minor? :confused:
Lethal, All good topics, the Irish History part would be good craic tho,

How does that 3 subject choice work is it the equivalent to a major minor? :confused:

no. The first two years don't count towards your degree (if your a-levels are good enough you can go straight into year 2 though).

You pick three subjects at the begining of your course, and you pick a subject for the degree in 3rd year. So you could do history, english, french in 1st and 2nd year, then just do history in 3rd and 4th year, leaving you with a degree in History

But you could do major/minor or joint if you wish, e.g. history with english. You have the first two years to decide what to do.

make any sense?

edit:

also, yeah, I was sort of worried that by not going to queens or UU I'd end up studying a bunch of British history that would bore me to death. Since I've got here I've done North america, carribian, South America, France and Industrail Rev. (which focuses of Dundee/Scotland)

Even the module next term 'Britian in the C20' I can chose to do my essay in the Irish aspect of it.

You know they are putting the fees up to 27k for the full degree though right?

Aren't you applying for back home at all?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
no. The first two years don't count towards your degree (if your a-levels are good enough you can go straight into year 2 though).

You pick three subjects at the begining of your course, and you pick a subject for the degree in 3rd year. So you could do history, english, french in 1st and 2nd year, then just do history in 3rd and 4th year, leaving you with a degree in History

But you could do major/minor or joint if you wish, e.g. history with english. You have the first two years to decide what to do.

make any sense?

edit:

also, yeah, I was sort of worried that by not going to queens or UU I'd end up studying a bunch of British history that would bore me to death. Since I've got here I've done North america, carribian, South America, France and Industrail Rev. (which focuses of Dundee/Scotland)

Even the module next term 'Britian in the C20' I can chose to do my essay in the Irish aspect of it.

You know they are putting the fees up to 27k for the full degree though right?

Aren't you applying for back home at all?

Yea ano its cat those rise in fees, but im applying to Queens and im applying down south aswell.

Im putting thinking about putting Queens my firm choice but im considering to put either Aberdeen or Dundee as my insurance choice, mainly because its abroad and experience somewhere else for a change.

The way i see it, id rather pay an arm and a leg later and do the course i wanna do instead of sitting in somewhere like UU because its cheaper but hate every minute of it.
At least this way im not limiting my options :biggrin:
Yea ano its cat those rise in fees, but im applying to Queens and im applying down south aswell.

Im putting thinking about putting Queens my firm choice but im considering to put either Aberdeen or Dundee as my insurance choice, mainly because its abroad and experience somewhere else for a change.

The way i see it, id rather pay an arm and a leg later and do the course i wanna do instead of sitting in somewhere like UU because its cheaper but hate every minute of it.
At least this way im not limiting my options :biggrin:

Fair enough, well just so you know. You can study in the mainland for free is places. Netherlands is only about 1500euro a year, Denmark is free, quite a few other places are along those lines, and some courses are in English, so you don't need to be fluent in the language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending