The Student Room Group

Human Rights postgrad

Hi there

was wondering if any previous Human Rights postgrads could answer some queries of mine.

I've been accepted into three universities to study the subject, one really prestigious one and one not so well-known and another that comes in between.

Just wondering how much does prestige matter in this field. Do future employers really consider whether you graduated from a well know university?

The lesser known college offers a placement within the program too, as well as more vocational modules like research methods.

My background is in the media and I have no human rights experience, I understand that no-one really walks out with a social science degree into a job and that I will need years of experience/internship to work in the area.

I was interested in maybe mixing the two (Journalism and human rights) as well as looking into policy development (gender justice/children's rights)

I don't have a legal background nor do I think I want to pursue one. Is a legal qualification really important? Does it massively reduce the kind of work you can do in this field?

I am also not sure if I am cut-out for field work on the ground, so taking away these options, is there really much else one can do within this career with or without a journalism component?

any help or advice would be really appreciated.
thanks!
Reply 1
Human rights in ruining this country. Drop out of the course immediately and go study journalism
Original post by DanBrwn
Human rights in ruining this country. Drop out of the course immediately and go study journalism

or, she could study human rights and then be the first journalist to get human rights issues correct in her copy?

cookies - sorry for not answering your PM yet, I've been a bit busy this morning. see your inbox.
Reply 3
Original post by flying plum

Original post by flying plum
or, she could study human rights and then be the first journalist to get human rights issues correct in her copy?

cookies - sorry for not answering your PM yet, I've been a bit busy this morning. see your inbox.

or she would study human rights and fall into the same bull**** trap that everyone else fell into. Do you genuinely think that she would be the first to do that? haha
Reply 4
Already have a journalism degree guys. Thanks for the PM flying plum.

Anyone else? if anyone has done a masters in this subject, would love to hear your views
Original post by cookies2011
Hi there

was wondering if any previous Human Rights postgrads could answer some queries of mine.

I've been accepted into three universities to study the subject, one really prestigious one and one not so well-known and another that comes in between.

Just wondering how much does prestige matter in this field. Do future employers really consider whether you graduated from a well know university?

The lesser known college offers a placement within the program too, as well as more vocational modules like research methods.

My background is in the media and I have no human rights experience, I understand that no-one really walks out with a social science degree into a job and that I will need years of experience/internship to work in the area.

I was interested in maybe mixing the two (Journalism and human rights) as well as looking into policy development (gender justice/children's rights)

I don't have a legal background nor do I think I want to pursue one. Is a legal qualification really important? Does it massively reduce the kind of work you can do in this field?

I am also not sure if I am cut-out for field work on the ground, so taking away these options, is there really much else one can do within this career with or without a journalism component?

any help or advice would be really appreciated.
thanks!

Human rights is the forensic science de nos jours.

Notwithstanding the Daily Mail, human rights is fashionable. Universities are turning out literally hundreds of postgraduates with degrees in human rights but with no recognised career path.

When coupled with a law degree, it tends to mark the candidate as a blue skies woolly minded dreamer who will never earn their keep from the daily round of the magistrates court/immigration appeal tribunal. Coupled with a degree in international relations or the such like, it indicates someone who is going to spend 4 or 5 years interning/working for nominal wages until they realise that the UN isn't going to appoint them Assistant General Secretary and they go off to a junior management job for the local NHS Trust.

A degree in human rights isn't going to make you more attractive either to the Guardian, the Great Snoring Gazette or the Pigeon Fanciers Weekly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Did you study Human rights as well nulli tertius? or do you work as a journalist?

I have friends who work in development and other sectors within the UN, some with no social science background at all.

I guess a degree in Human Rights won't make me more attractive to newspapers etc but it may provide me with a better focus and a deeper insight in my writing and documentary work?

I don't intend to get rich off this degree, I don't know if any H.R student does, and with any career, I think the 4-5 years of entry level work and internship is standard. But I guess my question is what careers/kinds of work are open out there using this degree, if any?
Original post by cookies2011
Did you study Human rights as well nulli tertius? or do you work as a journalist?

I have friends who work in development and other sectors within the UN, some with no social science background at all.

I guess a degree in Human Rights won't make me more attractive to newspapers etc but it may provide me with a better focus and a deeper insight in my writing and documentary work?

I don't intend to get rich off this degree, I don't know if any H.R student does, and with any career, I think the 4-5 years of entry level work and internship is standard. But I guess my question is what careers/kinds of work are open out there using this degree, if any?

No I am a lawyer and we get a fair few applicants who have done either a postgrad in it or did an undergrad dissertation in it and then mention the interest in their covering letter. Straight-away, one thinks the candidate has very little understanding of what makes a law firm (and we are not exclusively a commercial practice) tick.

The basic problem as I see it is that most human rights issues aren't stand alone. I run human rights arguments, but the substantive question may be (and these are two recently in our office) the conduct of a social security appeal tribunal or the saving of a heritage building. One of these is firmly pigeonholed "social welfare", the other is equal firmly pigeonholed "planning/heritage". If I was wanting a writer to do a piece on these I wouldn't ask a writer on human rights, I would ask someone writing on welfare or architecture.

What you end up with is a huge surfeit of people who know all about genocide and torture but because they lack knowledge of social welfare or architecture or whatever it may be, are not employable in any capacity (and I don't mean just as lawyer or journalist) on any of these real life subjects where human rights questions arise.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
Human rights is the forensic science de nos jours.

Notwithstanding the Daily Mail, human rights is fashionable. Universities are turning out literally hundreds of postgraduates with degrees in human rights but with no recognised career path.

When coupled with a law degree, it tends to mark the candidate as a blue skies woolly minded dreamer who will never earn their keep from the daily round of the magistrates court/immigration appeal tribunal. Coupled with a degree in international relations or the such like, it indicates someone who is going to spend 4 or 5 years interning/working for nominal wages until they realise that the UN isn't going to appoint them Assistant General Secretary and they go off to a junior management job for the local NHS Trust.

A degree in human rights isn't going to make you more attractive either to the Guardian, the Great Snoring Gazette or the Pigeon Fanciers Weekly.

Disagree with this entirely. As a graduate of human rights I've found it very useful for my career path and as have my peers from the course who have used it to advance in the particular sectors of their interest.

The opening poster will find the breadth of the course content a very useful for his/her journalism. I'd probably pick the university which has the best contacts with your specific area of interest and how active their events in the area is or prominent their lecturers are.

As for 'blue skies wooly minded dreamer' its probably best for null to stick to law and not psychology with his/her biases and distorted world view.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by El Scotto
Disagree with this entirely. As a graduate of human rights I've found it very useful for my career path and as have my peers from the course who have used it to advance in the particular sectors of their interest.

Which is?

The opening poster will find the breadth of the course content a very useful for his/her journalism.

As for 'blue skies wooly minded dreamer' its probably best for null to stick to law and not psychology with his/her biases and distorted world view.

That comment was made specifically in the context of law. I actually run human rights cases, not many but a few. The first question is, has always been and will always be, can it be funded?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending