The Student Room Group

My dad said building up my muscles and lifting weights is "unnecessary"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Steezy
It is unneccesary.

Why? there are many things in life which necessitate strength.
Reply 21
I guess it depends really. An example of being in good fitness would be being able to run for quite a long distance. Aerobic endurance would allow you to run for longer without getting out of breath but it's pretty much pointless if your legs don't have enough strength to carry on which is muscular endurance. Then again, swimming works all your body so you'd need to have good muscular endurance in the majority of muscles. It really depends what your idea of good fitness is.
But if you're doing weight lifting just to look good then yeah, it's pretty much pointless.
Reply 22
I've heard that a session of intense weighlifting will burn more calories than a similar session of aerobic activity (and will continue to do it for an extended period of time after the session has finished, unlike cardio).
Google it to confirm/deny. A personal trainer with a degree in sports science told me this, so it has some weight (no pun intended).

Furthermore, one thing that I can categorically state is that weightlifting (unlike aerobic exercise) helps to increase bone density and strength, and increases muscle mass. As people get older (particularly, presumably, from your father's age and above), bone density decreases, as a result, bones become more brittle. Lean muscle mass also declines, both of which increase risk of injuries from falling or when other accidents occur.
Weightlifting will combat this process, so that alone should be reason enough for him to consider it.
Do verify these facts for yourself however, prior to any attempts to intellectually clothesline him with your irrefutable comebacks.. :wink:
Reply 23
Original post by wactm
Well, I'm just going to throw some anecdotal evidence into the mix. I have a friend who has been doing weights and gymnastics for years(he will be in the 2012 olympics so I've been told) and he is 5'1 at 18, both of his parents are over 6 foot.

To the OP, weights are pointless. You're not in the army, you're not a wrestler, you're not an underwear model, in the 21st century there is absolutely no need for them for 90% of people. You are artificially causing strain to your muscles. I maintain the best exercise is sport, because you are actually using your muscles for a purpose, of course they build up way slower and are unlikey to grow huge but quality over quantity? I can beat those guys with huge veiny muscley arms in an arm wrestle no problem and I'm slightly chubby.

And if your doing it for the 'aesthetics', stop being a faggot. With my beer belly I get more pussy than you ever will.

Peace

would you still think them pointless when a powerlifter crushes your face and then deadlifts you, subsequently throwing you off a bridge and ending your life?
Reply 24
I know many a person whose entire success in life eg. academic, financial etc. can be entirely attributed to weight lifting (specifically deadlifting).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by affleming
Why? there are many things in life which necessitate strength.

And which of those activities do you perform which have necessitated the strength gained from weight lifting?
Reply 26
Original post by Steezy
And which of those activities do you perform which have necessitated the strength gained from weight lifting?

doing various things such as moving washing machines, overhead pressing furniture into lofts. picking cars off young children. defending onesself from worthless maggots with ease etc.
Original post by Astonix
He's allowed an opinion on what you're doing. Stop throwing such a hissy fit.

There is a big difference between voicing an opinion and seeing it your devine right to shove it down someones throats with a "or else" attitude.

@ OP: Just buy what you can on the side and make sure your mum gives you extra. Tell your dad he is full of ****.
Original post by Jukey92
How can getting stronger and looking better be pointless??

I think you need to tell your dad that WEIGHT TRAINING burns waaay more calories than CARDIO, leading to stronger lungs, more effective fat loss and a healthier lifestyle!
Look at cardio athletes, then look at power athletes and tell me which one looks healthier? The marathon runners and other cardio athletes look sick and anorexic, where as the sprinters and the long jumpers look cut, full and healthy!

Give your dad your computer and tell him to google search: Benefits of weight lifting

Wait, i will even do the first step for him: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=benefits+of+weight+lifting

are you an idiot?
everything in bold is wrong, ESPECIALLY for lung strength, i honestly have no idea where you got that from as either you or someone else made that up
do you even know what a proper cardio work out is?
Tell him you enjoy being bigger and stronger than other males. The same way some people desire to be faster (runners/swimmers) ect....?

Nothing is pointless if you value/enjoy it lol. Ask if he has the same opinion on all sports and hobbies... because ultimately every single track/field athlete nowadays spends a fair bit of time on strength/conditioning.

Original post by Movember
that's his opinion on me going to the gym and lifting weights. he has recently started going to the gym (he wasn't grossly unfit or fat compared to other men his age but he could be better) and he does light cardio work. he thinks all you need is cardio work to keep fit and remain healthy. he keeps telling me weights are "unnecessary" and "what's the point? you'd be better spending your money on something useful instead of a membership to the gym to lift weights because there's no point". i tell him i enjoy it and i do it for myself because i like the feeling of progressing and getting stronger and more muscular. i said i might even take part in tournaments in 5 or so years time. but he still thinks there's no point.

he's even said i eat too much and i should cut back on eating. i tell him i need to eat more than usual or else you hardly put on muscle but he doesn't listen. then i tell him i will make a contribution to food a week but he doesn't want that. all he says is he wants me to stop eating as much.

it's annoying me loads. my mum doesn't voice her opinion and simply goes along with whatever my dad says. how do i deal with this tricky situation?
(edited 12 years ago)
"Strong people are harder to kill and more useful in general"
Reply 31
doing various things such as moving washing machines, overhead pressing furniture into lofts. picking cars off young children. defending onesself from worthless maggots with ease etc.

Fair enough if you have to do all these things on a regular basis. However, I've managed to get by on the natural strength gained from simply lifting things I need to in every day life and playing football & tennis...
Reply 32
Original post by Prime Minister
are you an idiot?
everything in bold is wrong, ESPECIALLY for lung strength, i honestly have no idea where you got that from as either you or someone else made that up
do you even know what a proper cardio work out is?

Yes im an idiot .. I suck at maths and science! Bodybuilding is my ambition ..

I am referring to LONG DISTANCE CARDIO .. Spending hours on a treadmill is pointless, when 15 minutes HIIT does more! And are you saying that resistance training does not burn more calories than cardio? If that is the case, then im guessing you have never lifted a 'proper' weight in your life? I guarantee, that 4 sets of 8 reps of the bench press with 140 KG will burn a LOT more calories than 30 minutes on a treadmill ..

I am a resistance trainer, i occasionally do 15 mins HIIT every so often, but i have NEVER done a long distance cardio workout in my life, yet I consistently get 19 - 21 on the bleep test ... way more than my cross country friends!
What a bastard.
Reply 34
would you still think them pointless when a powerlifter crushes your face and then deadlifts you, subsequently throwing you off a bridge and ending your life?

You know, I could just shoot him.

Go watch planet of the apes, technology is what sets human beings apart from every other animal.
Reply 35
I think your father is talking about being physically fit, not looking physically fit. From that point of view, he is right, but to build visible muscle and look really fit weights are useful.
Original post by Jukey92
Yes im an idiot .. I suck at maths and science! Bodybuilding is my ambition ..

I am referring to LONG DISTANCE CARDIO .. Spending hours on a treadmill is pointless, when 15 minutes HIIT does more! And are you saying that resistance training does not burn more calories than cardio? If that is the case, then im guessing you have never lifted a 'proper' weight in your life? I guarantee, that 4 sets of 8 reps of the bench press with 140 KG will burn a LOT more calories than 30 minutes on a treadmill ..

I am a resistance trainer, i occasionally do 15 mins HIIT every so often, but i have NEVER done a long distance cardio workout in my life, yet I consistently get 19 - 21 on the bleep test ... way more than my cross country friends!

weight lifting burns more calories PER MINUTE but you cant do it for as long and therfore if you are comparing a weight lifting session to a proper cardio session, 30mins on a treadmill? LOL if you call that cardio no wander you don't get results
i do weights and cardio, i know weights are hard when done correctly, but a proper cardio session does so much more for the body. i mountain bike for between 1-2 hours pushing HARD or going for a run for an hour, no taking it easy, no jogging, no rests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Never get in an argument with your Dad. At the end of the day he's shagged your Mum and you haven't shagged his.
Original post by bad8oy
im about 5ft11 but i wnna be 6ft1 and am 16 years old. i started going to the gym but try to stay away from the weights just incase lol.

It didn't make a diiference for me, I was around 15 when i started weights, was around 5ft11, from then onwards I've lifted weights regularly except for like 4month breaks for exams and month for ramadan. Im 17 now and I'm 6ft3.
Reply 39
Original post by Movember
that's his opinion on me going to the gym and lifting weights. he has recently started going to the gym (he wasn't grossly unfit or fat compared to other men his age but he could be better) and he does light cardio work. he thinks all you need is cardio work to keep fit and remain healthy. he keeps telling me weights are "unnecessary" and "what's the point? you'd be better spending your money on something useful instead of a membership to the gym to lift weights because there's no point". i tell him i enjoy it and i do it for myself because i like the feeling of progressing and getting stronger and more muscular. i said i might even take part in tournaments in 5 or so years time. but he still thinks there's no point.

he's even said i eat too much and i should cut back on eating. i tell him i need to eat more than usual or else you hardly put on muscle but he doesn't listen. then i tell him i will make a contribution to food a week but he doesn't want that. all he says is he wants me to stop eating as much.

it's annoying me loads. my mum doesn't voice her opinion and simply goes along with whatever my dad says. how do i deal with this tricky situation?

I think some of it is a psychological thing, he doesn't like the idea of his son, who's he's raised since a baby, becoming stronger than him.

Quick Reply

Latest