The Student Room Group

My dad said building up my muscles and lifting weights is "unnecessary"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old School
You are basing this on observation and not empirical evidence, amirite?

The first humans were nomadic. Meaning they walked a lot. They didn't jog. They walked.

When a big ass sabre tooth tiger wanted to eat them they sprinted to get away.

When they wanted to eat something they sprinted to catch it then beat it to death or whatever.

Jogging was (and still is) a pointless activity that is one of the last things that early humans wanted to do. It's catabolic and wrecks your joints over time.

If you want to live your life 'as intended' for want of a better term you need to be doing short duration, intense exercise (weight training and sprints will provide this) along with a heck of a lot of walking.

I wish more people would realise this. So many get it in their head that they need to do low intensity steady state cardio to be "fit" and don't realise how pointless and boring it is. Sprints are so incredibly fun, especially barefoot and on grass. More people should go nuts and try it.
Classic case of the silverback seeing his son grow up into a stronger man, as he declines. He feels that his position is threatened, so he tries to do damage control by discouraging you, he doesn't want a paragon of strength trotting around the house displaying his superiority.

The reason for this dysfunction is because adults live too long, so they decline rapidly after their forties. It's also because teenagers spend too much time bumming around their parents' territory when they're meant to be released into the tribe at 13.
Reply 142
Original post by Ocassus
You don't need cardio to be a good lifter.

But to best burn calories, do swimming.

Swimming = Not needed for powerlifting.

Dude I can't stand listening to your jargon anymore. The fact that you talk a lot of **** that you can not back makes me believe that you do a lot of reading and not a lot of lifting. How Can you give advice to people without truly understanding what you are saying? The answer is you can't ..... You can not tell someone something without knowing if it works or not. You have no experience lifting. You hardly know anything. Everything you do know you read in a book or stole from someone else. You have no factual eveidence that it works. You just take advice from credible sources and post them as your own....As an aspiring personal trainer, who has actually spent time working in a gym, watching and criticizing and experimenting. Stop posting. You don't know what youre talking about. You know it too.
Reply 143
Original post by u4m1r
Dude I can't stand listening to your jargon anymore. The fact that you talk a lot of **** that you can not back makes me believe that you do a lot of reading and not a lot of lifting. How Can you give advice to people without truly understanding what you are saying? The answer is you can't ..... You can not tell someone something without knowing if it works or not. You have no experience lifting. You hardly know anything. Everything you do know you read in a book or stole from someone else. You have no factual eveidence that it works. You just take advice from credible sources and post them as your own....As an aspiring personal trainer, who has actually spent time working in a gym, watching and criticizing and experimenting. Stop posting. You don't know what youre talking about. You know it too.

Anecdotal evidence < Scientific evidence no?

EDIT : And, well, I do actually. I know it works, because whilst powerlifting heavy weights does burn calories significantly, and uses fat acids as part of the process, high intensity swimming will burn more.
Best exercise program for breaking down fat -> Strength focused weight-training + High intensity cardiovascular workout. Lean muscle has a higher metabolic requirement, and therefore innately burns calories better. High intensity cardio and Strength focused weight-training both build lean, hard muscle.

As for Intense swimming itself, well it is more aerobically demanding, and therefore increases overall endurance and stamina anyway, meaning you burn more fat for longer. But also is a form of resistance training for most muscles in the body, if one is properly swimming at an intense level, one can expect to build alot of lean muscle (mentioned for its fat burning advantages earlier), whilst simultaneously burning more calories in an hour due to the initial cardio workout if intensity is non-stop in relation to lifting (since strength lifting is inherently intermittent). So Resistance + Cardio > Merely pure resistance or Cardio. Although I would agree, that most people do not correctly execute high intensity swimming (because of the stamina required), and that lifting would be a better fat burning choice. Low intensity cardio <<< Lifting < Proper High intensity cardio involving resistance (esp Boxing and Swimming) for fat burning.

P.S, 5 hours of landtraining in the gym myself p/w. Don't presume to know me. :wink:

EDIT EDIT : Just looking over your post, would you say swimming is needed for powerlifting? Certainly not! Do you need cardio to lift? Not really. Do you disagree?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by Average_Aaron

Original post by Average_Aaron
How about I just chuck in 30 mins cardio after a weight session.

Best of both worlds

Yeah, that is the best fat loss program.

High intensity Cardio + Strength orientated lifting.
Reply 145
Original post by Old School
You are basing this on observation and not empirical evidence, amirite?

The first humans were nomadic. Meaning they walked a lot. They didn't jog. They walked.

When a big ass sabre tooth tiger wanted to eat them they sprinted to get away.

When they wanted to eat something they sprinted to catch it then beat it to death or whatever.

Jogging was (and still is) a pointless activity that is one of the last things that early humans wanted to do. It's catabolic and wrecks your joints over time.

If you want to live your life 'as intended' for want of a better term you need to be doing short duration, intense exercise (weight training and sprints will provide this) along with a heck of a lot of walking.

Somebody has clearly never heard of persistence hunting, one of the oldest, if not the oldest, methods humans used to use to hunt animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

Humans are the only mammals to use sweating to thermoregulate, making them less prone to overheating in a hot environment such as the African plains, allowing them to out-endure animals.

Quick Reply

Latest