The Student Room Group

Rank my university choices?

So I am currently seriously considering ten universities, two of which I will definitely apply to (providing I didn't fail all of my AS subjects). To decide the three other universities I will apply to I am taking into consideration a number of different factors including League Tables, Course Structure, Accommodation and so on but it would really help to have your opinions to!

So I am asking (begging, really) you to rank these ten universities in order with 1 being the one you regard the best and 10 the one you regard the worst. Reasons for your choices, or any pros/cons of each university would be very helpful too. I'm applying for Psychology!

Ok so my choices are as follows:
Bristol, Durham, Glasgow, Leeds, Oxford, Royal Holloway, St. Andrews, UCL, Warwick and York.

Help would really be appreciated, especially from those who have attended one or more of the above universities, has a sibling or relative that has attended or who for one reason or another knows a lot about them. Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
What's the course you're applying to?
Can't really provide much criticism, but I'll give you a ranking (my opinion)..

1. Oxford
2. St. Andrews
3. UCL
4. Durham
5. Warwick
6. Bristol
7. York
8. Leeds
9. Glasgow
10. Royal Holloway

By the way, I applied to Bristol and York, didn't get an offer for Bristol but my firm is York, and it looks excellent. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by winkeysmiley
So I am currently seriously considering ten universities, two of which I will definitely apply to (providing I didn't fail all of my AS subjects). To decide the three other universities I will apply to I am taking into consideration a number of different factors including League Tables, Course Structure, Accommodation and so on but it would really help to have your opinions to!

So I am asking (begging, really) you to rank these ten universities in order with 1 being the one you regard the best and 10 the one you regard the worst. Reasons for your choices, or any pros/cons of each university would be very helpful too.

Ok so my choices are as follows:
Bristol, Durham, Glasgow, Leeds, Oxford, Royal Holloway, St. Andrews, UCL, Warwick and York.

Help would really be appreciated, especially from those who have attended one or more of the above universities, has a sibling or relative that has attended or who for one reason or another knows a lot about them. Thanks!

It's a bit difficult to rank them without knowing what you want to study but I'll give it a go based on my impressions.

1) Oxford
2)UCL
3)Bristol
4)Durham
5)St Andrews
6)Warwick
7)York
8)Leeds
9)Royal Holloway
10)Glasgow

I applied to Bristol, Oxford, Durham and York. Durham and Oxford have similar collegiate atmospheres, York also has colleges but they're not as important. Bristol is pretty expensive compared to the others I know about, but that will probably be similar in any large city, partiularly London. The bottom 3 I don't really know anything about - they didn't come up as highly ranked for my subjects but they could be strong in other areas.
Reply 3
What subject?
Reply 4
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the course, silly me! (Thanks for reminding me).

Psychology :smile:
Depends on the subject, of course, let us know that and I'll give you my verdict. Chances are Oxford, UCL, Bristol, Warwick, St Andrews and Durham will be closer to the top, but without the subject I cant be sure...
Reply 6
This is purely opinion.

Oxford
UCL
Warwick
Durham
Bristol
St Andrews
York
Leeds
Glasgow
Royal Holloway
Reply 7
What kind of grades are you expecting? What subjects are you studying?
Reply 8
According to the Times university Rankings for Psychology, this is the order for the unis you listed:
(The number in brackets is where they actually placed)

1) Oxford (2nd)
2)UCL (3rd)
3)Glasgow (7th)
4)York (8th)
5)Bristol (9th)
6)Durham (10th)
7)Warwick (12th)
8)Royal Holloway (14th)
9) St Andrews (15th)
10)Leeds (27th)
Reply 9
From the complete university guide website section for psychology

Oxford (2)
UCL (3)
Bristol (6)
Durham (7)
York (9)
Warwick (10)
Glasgow (11)
Royal Holloway (18)
St. Andrews (19)
Leeds (24)

As you can see, subject rankings differ majorly from overall impressions of 'prestige'. The majority of those universities though are very highly regarded. I can only speak for my university (York) but I do know it is well thought of for psychology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
In my opinion:

1. Oxford
2. UCL
3. Warwick
4. Bristol
5. Glasgow
6. Durham
7. St Andrews
8. York
9. Leeds
10. Royal Holloway
Reply 11
1. Oxford (simply due to the level of work you have to do there and obviously the number of world experts teaching there.)
2. UCL (although UCL's the best in the world for neuroscience which takes up a large proportion of a psychology degree...)
3. Bristol
4. St Andrews
5. York
6. Royal Holloway
7. Glasgow
8. Warwick
9. Durham
10. Leeds
Original post by pixie<3
It's a bit difficult to rank them without knowing what you want to study but I'll give it a go based on my impressions.

1) Oxford
2)UCL
3)Bristol
4)Durham
5)St Andrews
6)Warwick
7)York
8)Leeds
9)Royal Holloway
10)Glasgow

I applied to Bristol, Oxford, Durham and York. Durham and Oxford have similar collegiate atmospheres, York also has colleges but they're not as important. Bristol is pretty expensive compared to the others I know about, but that will probably be similar in any large city, partiularly London. The bottom 3 I don't really know anything about - they didn't come up as highly ranked for my subjects but they could be strong in other areas.

Glasgow, last..... Hmmm.....
Original post by resortini
Glasgow, last..... Hmmm.....

Remember that's only my general impression and I was more concerned with unis which were strong in Maths - It could be good for Psychology.
But...but...you don't have anything to fall back on! What if something really bad happens next year and you fail your A2's, OR you don't get an offer from any of them? A guy I knew had that. He was predicted amazing marks and everything, so applied to all the top unis, and nowhere took him....

Sorry for the pessimism- it's early....
Reply 15
Soooo I am at Warwick, Biology, but I had a lot of friends in Psychology. It's one of the smallest of the Science departments. It's a very science-led course, and those folk seemed to enjoy it. I think that realistically apart from the much vaunted Oxford Premium, the other universities are all good names, and will probably open the same doors for you (i.e. there isn't a job that a Durham degree will be considered 'good enough' for that the others wouldn't), so it is much much much more important that you pick your options based on which Universities you actually...LIKE...as opposed to ideas of 'prestige', which fluctuates wildly from year to year and is kind of rubbish anyway! My friend got a first, and the fact it was from Warwick didn't make a blind bit of difference to her PGCE teaching application :wink:

What I will say for Warwick is that they are keen to fund undergraduates to do their own research, though it's not that hard to get similar work elsewhere.
Reply 16
Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about Warwick :smile:

They are all very decent universities so I would focus on comparing course content and location/style of uni.

Quick Reply

Latest