The Student Room Group

Oxbridge in Riots - I have been waiting for this

:colondollar:

I gotta admit, I have been waiting for them to announce someone from Oxbridge would be involved in the recent riots. (ImSoAcademic) won't be happy, her dream world is not so perfect.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026465/London-riots-Oxford-graduate-threw-bricks-police-ministers-sons-looted-Iceland.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fahim Wahid Alam

Reply 2
There are stupid people all over the country. What's your point?
Some people are stupid and want any excuse to cause violence. It's not really suprising is it, especially after reading about that millionnaire's daughter (I can't remember her name) who was involved in the looting of a shop.

According to the DM:

A spokesman for London Civic Forum told the Daily Telegraph that Alam had been offered a job as an intern researcher but added that his job offer would now be reconsidered in light of his arrest.

I should bloody well hope so.
Reply 4
I know Fahim as his family and ours are close and we're neighbours and I know for a fact that those accusations must be false. I'm not saying I have proof or anything but he studied law and he's always been a civil, kind and well-mannered man. All I heard was that he went past where the riots occurred and stood as a bystander as he witnessed what was going on and he was arrested for merely being there. I honestly don't believe he could've threw those bricks at police officers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sadian
I know Fahim as his family and ours are close and we're neighbours and I know for a fact that those accusations must be false. I'm not saying I have proof or anything but he studied law and he's always been a civil, kind and well-mannered man. All I heard was that he went past where the riots occurred and stood as a bystander as he witnessed what was going on and he was arrested for merely being there. I honestly don't believe he could've threw those bricks at police officers.

So he is getting arrested for just being a bystander! They are being v harsh out there, I guess now we have to just stay indoors and avoid all cctv!
Reply 6
if it is true, I don't get why someone would just throw away everything they have worked so hard for
Reply 7
It's only Oxford anyway, hardly surprising that a dump like that'd churn out mindless hooligans.
Reply 8
Reply 9
I thought there were riots in Oxford and Cambridge judging by thread title. Was immensely disappointed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Wow, one person. And the accusations may not even be accurate from what I'm seeing.
Reply 12
May be he got a third, didnt get into IB. Got another degree from LSE, still didnt get into IB. He must have been pissed!
Original post by Stanley90
I thought there were riots in Oxford and Cambridge juding by thread title. Was immensely disappointed.

Yeah...should really have been "Oxbridge Implicated in Riots" or something. Anyway I wouldn't be surprised if this is another case of the Daily Fail creating a story out of nothing.

EDIT: The Daily Failures are out in force I see.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ebam_uk
So he is getting arrested for just being a bystander! They are being v harsh out there, I guess now we have to just stay indoors and avoid all cctv!

Yeah, it's honestly unfair. His family are all distraught about this and I'm fairly certain that those accusations are false. He's an Oxford graduate, has a masters and was coming back from a job interview, it's completely nonsensical that a law graduate from Oxford would come take part in a riot while going home from a job interview.
Original post by Sadian

Some one (even a well-educated man like this Fahim guy) could easily get involved and be tempted to get involved in the violence in the spur of the moment. I understand that you know him well, but I know people who go to St Olave's and Exeter and know the girl who's a millionnaire's daughter (Lauren Johnson) who was still arrested for being involved in looting. Looting. And her dad's a millionnaire. And she lives in a nice house in Orpington. :banghead:

Anyway, all I'm saying is that these riots have shown us that it's not just the disenfranchised lower-working class youths who have been involved. You say the accusations 'must' be false because you know him and his family, but it doesn't mean that he certaintly wasn't involved. He may not have intended to cause trouble, but there must be a reason and they must have a substantial amount of proof if they arrested him.
Why wouldn't Oxbridgers go on the riots?

I'm sure BoJo and Dave Cameron had their share of student mischief when they were at Oxford!
Original post by MagicNMedicine

I'm sure BoJo and Dave Cameron had their share of student mischief when they were at Oxford!

Michael Gove certainly did :teehee:
Reply 18
Why do people think because someone is clever they wont do stupid things. Didn't you see the student protests? The amount of Oxbridge and Russel group students that got involved in violence and skullduggery?
Reply 19
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Was just about to post this.

There is no difference between the Bullingdon Club antics and the behaviour of the rioters except social class. I actually find the actions of the Bullingdon thugs more disgusting than most of the rioters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending