Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Problem with Google Chrome on my Macbook Pro? +rep

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    hi guys,

recently been having some trouble with google chrome on my macbook pro laptop.

When I close it and re-open it this message is displayed
    " Your profile could not be opened correctly.

Some features may be unavailable. Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write its contents."

Also my bookmarked icons e.g the little 'F' icon for Facebook are no longer displayed and I cannot access my web history at all. Also, I am unable to type in a website that I've previously been in e.g you'd usually type in www.fa . . . and then facebook.com would automatically come up...that no longer happens..

It's really annoying me!

Any help would be really appreciated
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had this.

Go to your Google Chrome file location (right click the desktop icon > properties > target location).

You will see a folder called 'Default', rename it to 'Default_a'.

If that doesn't work for you (it did for me) then you could try creating a new profile:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome...?answer=142059

If that doesn't work I would try reinstalling Chrome.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    I had this.

Go to your Google Chrome file location (right click the desktop icon > properties > target location).

You will see a folder called 'Default', rename it to 'Default_a'.

If that doesn't work for you (it did for me) then you could try creating a new profile:

http://www.google.com/support/chrome...?answer=142059

If that doesn't work I would try reinstalling Chrome.
    Cheers for the reply man, sorry but I'm a bit of a dummy on macs, it's new, I don't know how to do what you've explained? ! how embarrassing haha
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Cheers for the reply man, sorry but I'm a bit of a dummy on macs, it's new, I don't know how to do what you've explained? ! how embarrassing haha
    Sorry, I completely ignored that you were on a Mac. I'm not sure how to view file locations on a Mac, maybe using Spotlight? (magnifying glass in the top right).
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I completely ignored that you were on a Mac. I'm not sure how to view file locations on a Mac, maybe using Spotlight? (magnifying glass in the top right).
    Just had a flick through the system files in the Mac version of Chrome, there's no folder called Default, and the it always gets saved to the applications folder, so you're no use here ;D

@OP have you tried the good ol' uninstall reinstall trick?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Just had a flick through the system files in the Mac version of Chrome, there's no folder called Default, and the it always gets saved to the applications folder, so you're no use here ;D

@OP have you tried the good ol' uninstall reinstall trick?
    I did suggest that in my post so I'm not all useless :puppyeyes:

But I think there is a Default folder on the Mac version of Chrome, here is how to get there:

Go menu > Go to folder > type in ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did suggest that in my post so I'm not all useless :puppyeyes:

But I think there is a Default folder on the Mac version of Chrome, here is how to get there:

Go menu > Go to folder > type in ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default
    Hmm, nothing on my Mac under that pathway maybe they relocated it with Lion. If the OP is still using SL then he may still have it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me in Windows once, but on the Mac:

Lion hides the Library folder by default. To show it you need to enter the following into the terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
    Hit the Return key, log out and back in, and the library folder should show.

Then the procedure is the same as in Snow Leopard]. Navigate to the folder:

~user/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default
    and delete “Web data”. Your profile should be fixed.

From: http://fairerplatform.com/2011/04/ho...-chrome-prefs/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)

Lion hides the Library folder by default. To show it you need to enter the following into the terminal:

Sorry man what do you mean by enter into the terminal?!!
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Sorry man what do you mean by enter into the terminal?!!
    Terminal is an app used for inputting command prompts. Find it in Applications>>Utilities>>Termina l
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)

(Original post by Gofre)
    Terminal is an app used for inputting command prompts. Find it in Applications>>Utilities&gt ;>Terminal
    Thanks guys for both of your help. However I have tried the steps you've listed and the problem still exists?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I know you left this thread unanswered several months a go, but if you still have this problem (or someone else looking for a solution) you can find how to fix it here: http://www.fourleaftechnology.com/in...tly-error.html

Basically, the thing is to locate the folder you were talking about. You DO NOT have to go thru the Terminal. Go to FINDER and pressing "alt (option)" CLICK on the menu "GO" at the menu bar. You will see that there's the Library icon. Click it and go to Application Support > Google > Crhome > Default.

When you are there, look for the files "Web Data" and "History" and delet them. You probably lose the Web History, but the problem will be gone. I just did it and worked perfectly.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 1, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.