The Student Room Group

Did you write notes to the examiner & draw nice pics in hope of cheering them up?

I tend to apologize to the examiners for my atrocious handwriting on numerous occaisions and also draw nice pictures if I've finished my exam early.

This summer I had finished my Biology exam with 35mins to spare after checking all my answers so I drew nice diagrams and pictures of birds etc, in relation to the context of the questions.

Also for my English exam I did not have the time to read (all of) one of the books which was a partner text but I mentioned it in a small note to the examiner. I really hope this won't have a negative impact on my mark:s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was told in 2nd year after i did that that you get disqualified for that.
Reply 2
I think it's best just to leave it and not risk getting in trouble.
I don't know what will happen to you, but hopefully the examiner will have been in a good mood.
Good luck BTW :smile:
Reply 3
Maybe in English Literature but Biology?
my dad marks chemistry A2 papers (part of this is getting a 'checker' to check the number of ticks equals the number of marks, and the page marks are added up correctly. 20p a paper, just about £4 an hour.... thats me.) and he gets some weird stuff.

the weirdest was some guy who took the paper in Hong Kong or something... wrote something along the lines of "i can't do this question so here is a song i wrote, i hope you enjoy it". he then proceeded to write the lyrics to a linkin park song?!!?
Reply 5
I sometimes take the pleasure to mark it for them and grade myself. I think they are pleased to see they have one less paper to mark and it's just an all round nice gesture.

Last year I got 234 A*s, so I recommend it.
Reply 6
As far as I know there are very strict rules when it comes to what you can write/draw on your exam paper..I would never do what you did, it sounds as disqualification to me.

EDIT: I received negative points because I said something that I know it's true and all the teachers repetead to me. Why I don't wonder?
(edited 12 years ago)

In my chemistry AS I wrote out the lyrics to 'Walking on sunshine' for the examiner :smile:
Original post by w04andia
I think it's best just to leave it and not risk getting in trouble.
I don't know what will happen to you, but hopefully the examiner will have been in a good mood.
Good luck BTW :smile:

True! My teacher at my secondary school (who was also an examiner) had a whole collection of all the 'essay notes' candidates often write to the examiners!
If I do write notes, they tend to only be a line or a few words.
I highly doubt the possibility of getting disqualified as a number of people I know do this. :smile:
Reply 9
I've never understood leaving notes. I'd do it for a little internal exam or topic test if I got along with the teacher and could tell that he/she would get the joke, but external, no, I use every second of my time for answering questions.
Reply 10
My friend wrote a letter to her examiner in her exam explaining that she'd worked hard and she just couldn't remember anything and that she's really sorry.
Original post by colin4president
my dad marks chemistry A2 papers (part of this is getting a 'checker' to check the number of ticks equals the number of marks, and the page marks are added up correctly. 20p a paper, just about £4 an hour.... thats me.) and he gets some weird stuff.

the weirdest was some guy who took the paper in Hong Kong or something... wrote something along the lines of "i can't do this question so here is a song i wrote, i hope you enjoy it". he then proceeded to write the lyrics to a linkin park song?!!?

Hahaha!!!:giggle:, once one of my friends said she wrote the lyrics to 'Hero' in an R.E question.
But I DID read the main text and even our teacher said 'you don't have to read all the partner text' if you don't want to.
Reply 13
Original post by RobGray
My friend wrote a letter to her examiner in her exam explaining that she'd worked hard and she just couldn't remember anything and that she's really sorry.

Awww bless.
Reply 14
Original post by colin4president

haha that's hilarious! :laugh:

I can picture it now:
'Explain how aspirin helps prevent blood clotting:

answer: Crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heal...'
Reply 15
I wrote an exam for the examiner in one physics paper i did cos i hadnt revised, asking them if they felt happy in their life, just to make them feel bad, and my paper got sent back and they said they werent going to mark it :O
Reply 16
I have written notes for the examiner for the purposes of providing information which can help me in the marking stage .... such as: "NOTE TO EXAMINER: I have run out of time as I was answering the last question, I know it is not acceptable but I have written my answer for this question out in bullet point form"

But never with the aim of cheering him/her up

As for drawing pics: It may come across as that you are bored with it and they may think you are taking the piss so no I have not.
Reply 17
I doodled in Geography :smile: But it was a paper that needed diagrams, I just occasionally added a goat or a person to my glacier drawings and a smiley face on the sun . . .who ever said geography was colouring in was right :wink: I did a lovely diagram in Unit 5 for Biology too, I literally couldn't word my answer properly and I knew what I wanted to say, so I drew some DNA nucleotides and arrows in stead :smile:

As for notes to the examiner? Nah those just piss them off because they have to read them and note down what they say for when they get moderated, they just waste their time :/
Reply 18
Best think to do is draw your pictures and write your notes and then put a neat line through it so they cant mark it
Reply 19
A friend of mine got disqualified from her General Studies exam for drawing pictures on her paper.

Quick Reply

Latest