The Student Room Group

When do you get your student loan?

I know this is probably a really stupid question but when does your student loan go in? Is it a set date for everyone? Or when you go to Uni?

Also my appalication online says its still processing, is this normal? :s-smilie:
Reply 1
this is a really good question but i don't know the answer neither., but yes i have the confirmation of my loan but it all depends on when u submitted ur student finance application, but i would advice to give them a call to see where they r in the process of ur application, that what i did
Reply 2
it all depends on when u sent ur form and if u sent it long time a go but they r taking too long u shud definently phone them because that happened to me and they were taking too long i phoned them up and they said it takes around 1 month to process 1 application so thats y it was taking so long and ur gonna be late if u dnt phone them straight away. hope everything goes ok
Reply 3
Generally, the first installment of the loan should come through a few days after you register at your uni as SFE want proof that you're actually attending the university, although if you applied after the deadline, then it might come through a bit later.
Reply 4
mine has been processing for 2 months
Reply 5
Brilliant thank you all for your replies :smile: I think I will definitely give them a ring tomorrow!
Reply 6
ur welcome and good luck
Reply 7
12th September, hell yeah :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by RowanO
I know this is probably a really stupid question but when does your student loan go in? Is it a set date for everyone? Or when you go to Uni?

Also my appalication online says its still processing, is this normal? :s-smilie:

when your student finance has been completed and approved then it give you a timetable of dates when a certain amount of money will go into your bank.

However if yours has been processing for a while then it might be worth ringing them to find out whats going on :smile:
Generally once you have registered at university its a few days then the money goes into your account.
Reply 10
Well I enrolled online yesterday, just waiting for my student finance to be sorted I guess.

I phoned them up, and Im so mad :angry:. The first person I spoke to informed me one of my forms was invalid as the number on it was a landline and they needed a mobile number. I was pretty confused, said okay and rang off after asking if I could just change it over the phone and she said no I had to send it back in. Then I realised I didnt understand which form she was talking about, I also checked all the forms to see where this mistake may have happened, couldn't find it.

I was pretty stressed, so I rang again. Spoke to someone else, where I asked what form is was and she said it was the P60. Now I didnt know what a P60 was, I knew it was to do with my parents. So I thought it was another form, she even said yes to me when I said all I have to do is fill in the P60 ... Again, I rang off and this time went to speak to me parents who told me what it was and that on their site it says this isnt needed if they gave their national insurance number. Which they both did..

So for the third time I rang up and got through to someone who actually wanted to help and looked into it for me. Turns out there had been a mistake and there was nothing wrong with my application and he couldn't understand why it wasn't going through. So he sent an email and such to the people who could sort it out and if I dont hear anything within 7-10 days im to phone back.

They seem so useless, I wanted to tear my hair out :angry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by RowanO
Well I enrolled online yesterday, just waiting for my student finance to be sorted I guess.

I phoned them up, and Im so mad :angry:. The first person I spoke to informed me one of my forms was invalid as the number on it was a landline and they needed a mobile number. I was pretty confused, said okay and rang off after asking if I could just change it over the phone and she said no I had to send it back in. Then I realised I didnt understand which form she was talking about, I also checked all the forms to see where this mistake may have happened, couldn't find it.

I was pretty stressed, so I rang again. Spoke to someone else, where I asked what form is was and she said it was the P60. Now I didnt know what a P60 was, I knew it was to do with my parents. So I thought it was another form, she even said yes to me when I said all I have to do is fill in the P60 ... Again, I rang off and this time went to speak to me parents who told me what it was and that on their site it says this isnt needed if they gave their national insurance number. Which they both did..

So for the third time I rang up and got through to someone who actually wanted to help and looked into it for me. Turns out there had been a mistake and there was nothing wrong with my application and he couldn't understand why it wasn't going through. So he sent an email and such to the people who could sort it out and if I dont hear anything within 7-10 days im to phone back.

Don't worry about it, you'll get it sorted out soon. I'm having loads of trouble trying to get the maintenance grant (everything else is fine). They keep telling me my status is different whenever I call up and keep on 'losing' the forms that I send in. It doesn't half make you angry...
I'm thinking about writing to a few MP's about it.
Reply 12
ok, well im kinda freaking out... I havent enrolled yet, but I have to do it online and it says I should pay for my fees then, cos when I get into uni, they'll be checking whether i've paid or not. Im about to send off my application for the loan, just need to tweek a few more details on the parents' side. Im just applying for the fees loan, but Im worried that I wont get it in time, by the end of september! Would I be in such a pickle if I get my parents to pay for the fees first? and then wait for the loan to come through!? THEN WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO!?!? *shakes arms about*
Reply 13
Original post by Unununium
when your student finance has been completed and approved then it give you a timetable of dates when a certain amount of money will go into your bank.

However if yours has been processing for a while then it might be worth ringing them to find out whats going on :smile:

This.

They have a habit of saying 'Well, we'll just put this application down here and leave it for a while' and not realising till you bother them, but when you do they're usually very helpful lately. They can also give you more precise info than 'processing' so you can know exactly when to expect the assessment.

The dates are usually the first days of your terms at uni (after summer, christmas and easter breaks) though this can vary a little depending on how your uni does things eg. when exams are.

xxx
Reply 14
Original post by mintylula
ok, well im kinda freaking out... I havent enrolled yet, but I have to do it online and it says I should pay for my fees then, cos when I get into uni, they'll be checking whether i've paid or not. Im about to send off my application for the loan, just need to tweek a few more details on the parents' side. Im just applying for the fees loan, but Im worried that I wont get it in time, by the end of september! Would I be in such a pickle if I get my parents to pay for the fees first? and then wait for the loan to come through!? THEN WHERE DOES ALL THE MONEY GO!?!? *shakes arms about*

You can't do this- the student loan has to go straight to the uni. If you are having problems getting your loan through in time then contact the uni. With SF's recent record I'm sure they will be prepared for this kind of scenario.

On the online application it's probably just entering your SF number in your case, but not sure whether they'll be worried by the fact it's not sorted yet or not, so ring or email them to find out for sure.

xxx
Reply 15
oh okey dokey, thanks for the reassurance =)
Reply 16
3rd October for me, basically whenever you start your lectures.
Original post by RowanO

In a very similar position, documents received, gone missing, found being processed, they ask for something they already have. They processed my PN1 form mid-april and I still haven't had my application processed yet. Sent an email to complaints, supposed to get a email back in 5 days, it's been 10, no reply.

No idea what to do now.

To be honest, this has been happening for years if you look at forums, I wouldn't be suprised if they delay applications on purpose for whatever reasons.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Phoning again tomorrow after an email informing me:

"We refer to your current application for student finance. Our records indicate that we still appear to be awaiting the requested evidence, to support and determine your eligibility, and enable your application to proceed.

If you do not supply the eligibility evidence required, then your current application for student finance will be cancelled."

Last week we agreed nothing was missing...Its been 9 days, they said to call back in 7-10 days if nothing. :mad:

Im so angry and stressed. 19 days and im going to Uni, what the **** are they doing? :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending