The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Dont feel emotions anymore?

So for the past year i havent felt deep hatred, jealousy, greed, love, happiness and other emotions.

Most of the time i feel slightly peaceful or just mildy depressed.

When i feel emotions they are just on the surface and not strong at all. Like my AS results are coming the day after and right now i dont feel afraid or excited.

I think if you go through a deep emotional period, you block everything and kinda get used to it.

Like when i was young, (about 12)
i lost a parent
went through a really embarrassing time (the equivalence of all youre friends and family finding out you got a girl pregnant i guess)
and my girlfriend left me, (I did feel emotions like up to two years ago and they didnt stop at once, but sort of faded away)

Is this normal? Does anyone feel the same way? :redface:
Im not sad about this, just curious.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by Anonymous
So for the past year i havent felt deep hatred, jealousy, greed, love, happiness and other emotions.

When i feel emotions they are just on the surface and not strong at all. Like my AS results are coming the day after and right now i dont feel afraid or excited.

I think if you go through a deep emotional period, you block everything and kinda get used to it.

i lost a parent
went through a really embarrassing time (the equivalence of all youre friends and family finding out you got a girl pregnant i guess)
and my girlfriend left me, (I did feel emotions like up to two years ago and they didnt stop at once, but sort of faded away)

tbf...that sounds a lot like me...just without the crap occurring in my life...

although for me...It's the negative emotions such as anger etc. that I don't get at all....whilst I do still get humour etc.
I know exactly how you feel.

I've slipped into a state where I just CAN'T feel anymore. No matter how hard I try to, I just can't. I've become void of any emotion.

In some ways it infuriates me because I miss these sensations. But I just don't know how to describe it.
i know exactly how you feel, I have lost most of my friends i have known from school and its just not fair as my brother and my so-called other friends keep rubbing it in on facebook. It makes me feel so low. i feel like if i don't do my degree this year and have a new life i can see myself having a very lonely boring life.
Reply 5

i lost a parent

I went through a phase like this... I say phase, but it lasted about 3 years, maybe more.

I think it was because I bottled my feelings up for so long that they eventually just faded away... however, earlier this year I had a serious emotional breakdown and was diagnosed with depression.

You might think it's not a problem for now, but obviously there are issues you need to deal with - a reason why you can't feel the way you used to.
Reply 6
It's fine. It's called being controlled, and you will be respected for it. I am also like this and have been so for some years now - I doubt I will change, and don't want to to be honest. Just be sure it is that you're staying controlled, and not that you're bottling up all your feelings - because they will rear their head again, all at once.
Reply 7
Original post by Nerol
I went through a phase like this... I say phase, but it lasted about 3 years, maybe more.

I think it was because I bottled my feelings up for so long that they eventually just faded away... however, earlier this year I had a serious emotional breakdown and was diagnosed with depression.

You might think it's not a problem for now, but obviously there are issues you need to deal with - a reason why you can't feel the way you used to.

Original post by tory88
It's fine. It's called being controlled, and you will be respected for it. I am also like this and have been so for some years now - I doubt I will change, and don't want to to be honest. Just be sure it is that you're staying controlled, and not that you're bottling up all your feelings - because they will rear their head again, all at once.

I'm not bottling them up anymore. I used to do that so now i know the difference. Sometimes when i see others around me crying and being sad, i feel slightly thankful for being the way i am.

And Nerol, are you okay now? :smile:

Seems fitting.

Seriously though, if you're concerned about it I'm sure you can speak to a counsellor or something. If you're at school or uni you should have a dedicated counselling service at your disposal.
Reply 9
I know exactly how you feel.

I've slipped into a state where I just CAN'T feel anymore. No matter how hard I try to, I just can't. I've become void of any emotion.

In some ways it infuriates me because I miss these sensations. But I just don't know how to describe it.

Did you go through a bad period too?

I think ill practice loving kindness meditation. Maybe ill feel it mildly and it might get stronger as i do more of it. Maybe it will bring them back. I dunno...
I remember having a thankfully short spell of depression and anxiety and I just felt immensely numb some of the time and often randomly burst into tears. I also kept getting bouts of panic and I stopped caring about myself. I didn't wash for weeks and I just stayed in my room and hardly spoke to anyone.

I still get bouts of panic sometimes, but not as much and I don't feel depressed anymore. Most of the time, people 'snap out of it', but if you don't, speak to a doctor and they could prescribe some medication to help and you could possibly see a psychiatrist.

I also used to have selective mutism when I was younger, but with the help of some therapy I became more comfortable with speaking and I stopped having it. Not all of these things are permanent.
Reply 11
I'm not bottling them up anymore. I used to do that so now i know the difference. Sometimes when i see others around me crying and being sad, i feel slightly thankful for being the way i am.

And Nerol, are you okay now? :smile:

I'm doing better. I've been on antidepressants since March and they've definitely helped. I am also waiting to see a counsellor. I'm definitely better than I was, but it's still something I have to deal with on a daily basis.

My friends always used to joke about me being emotionless... I don't think any of them saw this coming!
Doesnt sound abnormal to me...the only thing I would say is dont bottle things up, but if youre not feeling emotions I guess theres nothing there to bottle up, youre quite lucky if you ask me. My emotions rocket up and down and all over the shop lol :frown:

EDIT: Plus I know what it feels like to lose a parent I lost my dad when I was 6 and for quite a few years I didnt really feel much on it as I was young but when I got older and understood more I went through a bad patch, but Im out of it now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Pan's-Labyrinth
Doesnt sound abnormal to me...the only thing I would say is dont bottle things up, but if youre not feeling emotions I guess theres nothing there to bottle up, youre quite lucky if you ask me. My emotions rocket up and down and all over the shop lol :frown:

EDIT: Plus I know what it feels like to lose a parent I lost my dad when I was 6 and for quite a few years I didnt really feel much on it as I was young but when I got older and understood more I went through a bad patch, but Im out of it now.

Seems kinda unfair doesnt it...
When i last spoke to him, it was over the phone and i was a little bit angry at him (dont even remember why nw) and he was dead the next time i saw him.
Seems kinda unfair doesnt it...
When i last spoke to him, it was over the phone and i was a little bit angry at him (dont even remember why nw) and he was dead the next time i saw him.

Yeah life is unfair :frown: ... hmm well despite that Im sure he knew how much you loved him, I was quite fortunate and I saw him in hospital before he died but I was young and didnt really get what was going on. Then that same night a social worker came round and told me what had happened, I dont have a mum either so Ive been adopted. But Im happy with my family and am grateful for everything :smile:
I was diagnosed with a chronic disease earlier this year and throughout the whole period from the onset of symptoms up until a while back I haven't let people around me know how I really feel. I didn't think anyone would understand anyway even if I told them. I blocked my emotions for so long that now I feel the same as you OP. I sometimes laugh or cry for no reason though, but on the inside I don't even feel anything while I'm doing this, it just feels like a superficial response.. I don't really know what to do about it either
Reply 16
Original post by Pan's-Labyrinth
Yeah life is unfair :frown: ... hmm well despite that Im sure he knew how much you loved him, I was quite fortunate and I saw him in hospital before he died but I was young and didnt really get what was going on. Then that same night a social worker came round and told me what had happened, I dont have a mum either so Ive been adopted. But Im happy with my family and am grateful for everything :smile:

No one really told me that he died. I wish someone had. I kind of figured it out for myself when I saw a lot of people in my house looking sad and being really nice to me.
I've never talked much about it with anyone but it feels kinda better that i did,
even though youre a stranger on the internet :smile:
I know how you feel anon.
Same thing's kind of happened to me. mostly I just feel calm peaceful, either that or just sad sometimes. I don't tend to feel much else and it worried me for a while but now I'm just getting on with it. I've had some 'bad things' happen to me, traumatic experiences etc that have obviously triggered this, even though they were mostly over a year ago now I still
struggle to deal with what happened.
Reply 18
Im quite surprised that a lot of people feel the same way. I thought i was the only one...
I know how you feel OP... My boyfriend of about 20 months left me a year and bit ago, 2 weeks before the start of my GCSE exams. My mum yelled at me and I was basically left to deal with it alone... So I didn't deal with it. I studied like a robot for a month and got awesome grades...which I'd trade for my sanity in a heartbeat.
It wasn't the start of being low and numb. Nothing that terrible's happened to me, except a very messy family and a lifetime of social problems. That summer pushed me over the edge though.
I didn't feel a thing for months. Then I started sixth form and I thought it was good but then I started realising how evil IB is, and became a total pedantic perfectionist with my work, mainly cos personally I was crumbling, having made few friends and being extremely lonely.
Then Christmas happened and through a complicated tale I lost the person who'd been my sanity that summer. It sent me spiralling again to the point where for months all I felt was empty black nothingness and this explosion feeling like I was going to jump out of my skin. I could barely speak. All of my energy went into acting like I was ok.
Things are improving now thanks to counselling, therapy, and the discovery of some real friends. I still feel empty, but I know I can return to a state in which I'm ok, despite the feeling of burried emotions and the trusty IB fear.

Latest