The Student Room Group

Two Facebook users who urged people to join in riots online are jailed for FOUR years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Retrodiction
By what process of reasoning do you conclude that 4 years, as opposed to 3 and a half years, or 4 and a half years, is the appropriate punishment? It's just that you seem pretty sure that 4 years is what they deserved - how did you arrive at this conclusion?

I meant that they got what they deserved, be it 2 years, 4 years or 10 years, they brought it on themselves,posting the time, date and the location of the 'possible' riot even if they claimed it was a joke. if only they ban these social networking sites this would get prevented.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 141
By what process of reasoning do you conclude that 4 years, as opposed to 3 and a half years, or 4 and a half years, is the appropriate punishment? It's just that you seem pretty sure that 4 years is what they deserved - how did you arrive at this conclusion?

She's not a judge, son.
Original post by M.Duggan
She's not a judge, son.

She stated that the sentence they got was the sentence they deserved. I was wondering what process of reasoning she used to arrive at the same conclusion as the judge. Fairly simple request, really. If someone makes a claim, even if it's agreeing with the claim of somebody else, a process of reasoning was required to arrive at it.
Reply 143
She stated that the sentence they got was the sentence they deserved. I was wondering what process of reasoning she used to arrive at the same conclusion as the judge. Fairly simple request, really. If someone makes a claim, even if it's agreeing with the claim of somebody else, a process of reasoning was required to arrive at it.

It's down to personal opinion. There is no rule book is there?? Judge's up and down the country can choose. The maximum sentence they could have got was 10 years apparantely. It's obvious (based on sentencing prior to the riots) that the recent sentences are completely over the top though.
Reply 144
Original post by U.S Lecce
They wont get raped. :pierre:

Okay. Good to know.
Obviously what they did was wrong, but 4 years in prison....just seems a bit ridiculous. Not to mention somewhat inconsistent with sentences that have been handed out in the past for other crimes.

I recall reading a news story about two people who had a history of aggression and violence, particularly towards gay people. One night they attacked a man because he was gay, knocked him down, kicked him in the head...etc and he ending up dying. One received 6 years and the other 7.

To give out a sentence of 4 years for nothing more than creating a facebook page which encourages rioting, and to give out a sentence which is barely more severe to someone who essentially murdered another person....to me...just doesn't make sense.
Reply 146
This is making a mockery of our justice system. It's purpose is not to seek revenge, it is to serve proportionate punishment that fit the crimes. People forget, this concept is also a protection from abuse. Damn the day when stealing a loaf of bread puts you behind bars for nearly half a decade. Why do people lose their common sense and applaud this? madness.
Just saw on the news about how these kids got 4 years yet they released a bunch of black guys who admitted to actually looting.

I knew this would happen. They'd try to make an example of people but choose the wrong ones so they don't look racist and cause more riots.
The one with the lighter shirt on in the pics has a history of drug dealing and being a total **** anyways so I'd be very surprised if the facebook incident is the only thing that sealed his sentence up to that amount of time.
Reply 149

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending