The Student Room Group

Getting into dentistry with bad AS levels ?

Hi guys,

My sister is due to get her AS results on Thursday. She wants to pursue dentistry, but i do know she is a bit anxious as to whether she gets good enough AS' to pursue this goal.

I was just wondering; in the event that she does get her AS results that are less than expected, would she still be able to pursue the dentistry route, or do these schools not look at candidates who may have resat AS exams ?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only important thing is her predicted A-level grades. These are made by her teachers and used when she applies to uni. It depends on her college/school, but the higher your AS grades the higher your predicted grades are likely to be, but there is also teacher input and you can often get your teachers to give you the predicted grade that you want (provided it is at least somewhat realistic). Many colleges give a predicted grade which is 1 grade higher than than what the person got at AS - i.e. someone who got B's at AS are predicted A's at A2l. Unis don't really look at AS grades, however if she does drop a subject (just leaves it at AS) then be aware that some unis may require at least a B grade in that subject.

And she can resit as much as she wants - provided she doesn't take longer than 2 years to get the A level grades she needs. When unis say they don't accept resits, they mean they don't want you to take an extra year.
Reply 2
Original post by Oral
The only important thing is her predicted A-level grades. These are made by her teachers and used when she applies to uni. It depends on her college/school, but the higher your AS grades the higher your predicted grades are likely to be, but there is also teacher input and you can often get your teachers to give you the predicted grade that you want (provided it is at least somewhat realistic). Many colleges give a predicted grade which is 1 grade higher than than what the person got at AS - i.e. someone who got B's at AS are predicted A's at A2l. Unis don't really look at AS grades, however if she does drop a subject (just leaves it at AS) then be aware that some unis may require at least a B grade in that subject.

And she can resit as much as she wants - provided she doesn't take longer than 2 years to get the A level grades she needs. When unis say they don't accept resits, they mean they don't want you to take an extra year.

cool, thanks a lot. Yeah i know the re-sit policy because a similar scenario applies to Law as well. I was an IB student, so i did take some resit exams but got rejected by many law schools because in their eyes I took 3 years (reality was i took 2 years and 2 months, but go figure). Anyway, thanks a lot.
Reply 3
Ok guys, results came in- she got

B- Math
C- Geography
D-Chemistry
E-Biology

Ouch
But she is planning to resit chem and bio to get them to B's ? So shes also thinking of applying after she gets her final a level results......so yeah, bad AS results. Do universities penalize you heavily for this ??
Reply 4
As I said they often don't care about AS results, just the predicted ones. She'll need to be predicted 3 A's though and of course she has to get them too!
Reply 5
Original post by Oral
As I said they often don't care about AS results, just the predicted ones. She'll need to be predicted 3 A's though and of course she has to get them too!

That is an issue yes. What i suggested to her was that she dosent appy next year but rather she gets AAA and then applies to dental school, essentially taking a gap year
Reply 6
Yes, unis like that and some unis don't let you reapply so that may be a wise move. Perhaps, just in case she doesn't get the 3 A's she should apply to other courses this year, that way if she does fail to get the grades she may have a chance at dentistry by being a graduate (applying to for graduate entry dentistry - although many places accept graduates for the 5 year course too - it's just that they hevaily restrict the number of places available for graduates or they have a preference for school/college leavers). But even for graduate entry, most places still require a minimum of BBB at A level. Also, the standard of applicant for grad-entry is even higher than for the 5 year course - so it's often said to be even tougher to get in!
Reply 7
I want to do dentistry. These are my horrible disgusting vile AS resulst is all hope over?

Biology = C
Chemistry = E
Maths = E
Psychology = C

also wat subject would i have 2 drop?
Original post by raman1

Original post by raman1
I want to do dentistry. These are my horrible disgusting vile AS resulst is all hope over?

Biology = C
Chemistry = E
Maths = E
Psychology = C

my AS grades were bad too, i'm just going to have to show my teachers I can get these 3 A's!
You need at least a B for most uni's on the subject you're dropping...so i would advise resitting some maths modules? Maths is a tough A level - i'm dropping it too!
Reply 9
My AS results:
Biology - B
Chemistry - C (Got it remarked, went up, and still 1 mark away from a B!)
Maths - A
Further Maths - A
Art - B (dropping)

I still want to do Dentistry but I think it will be tough to get the predicted AAA. Should I still try?? Also I love maths but maybe I should drop Further maths to work harder for Bio and Chem...
Reply 10
There are always Access to HE courses you can take. Not all hope is lost if you miss out on your predicted grades.
Original post by Phantom_X

B- Math
C- Geography
D-Chemistry
E-Biology

Ouch
But she is planning to resit chem and bio to get them to B's ? So shes also thinking of applying after she gets her final a level results......so yeah, bad AS results. Do universities penalize you heavily for this ??

sorry tthis is really kinda late but i reckon im gonna get BBEU so could u pls let me know what her a2 predicitions ended up being?
Reply 12
Original post by amanda.144
sorry tthis is really kinda late but i reckon im gonna get BBEU so could u pls let me know what her a2 predicitions ended up being?

Its irrelevant what her A2 predictions were as policies are different for every school. Just as a heads up even if you do drop the U at A2, you still will have to get at least a c for most schools and even a/b for others. Even if you dont get the AAA predictions its really not a HUGE deal, just means youll have to take a gap year - focus on getting AAA in your A2s
Original post by Phantom_X

B- Math
C- Geography
D-Chemistry
E-Biology

Ouch

Hiya, quite some time has passed now lol and I was wondering, did your sister get into dental school??
Original post by raman1

Biology = C
Chemistry = E
Maths = E
Psychology = C

Hey, did you end up getting into dental school by any chance?
I've got ABBB in my AS levels this year, ill be dropping the A though so essentially i have 3 B's, if i can get predicted 3A's and have a decent UKCAT score (around 600) do i have a good chance of getting in or getting offers/interviews at least??

Original post by DanMomens
I've got ABBB in my AS levels this year, ill be dropping the A though so essentially i have 3 B's, if i can get predicted 3A's and have a decent UKCAT score (around 600) do i have a good chance of getting in or getting offers/interviews at least??

Hey I got ABBB this year too! I'm hoping my good GCSE profile and work experience is enough to level things out :/...
I've talked to a couple people already including my UCAS advisor and the verdict so far is:
1) Do well on UKCAT
2) Write a killer PS
3) Kiss your teachers ass's to get good predicted grades
Original post by Little_bird
Hey I got ABBB this year too! I'm hoping my good GCSE profile and work experience is enough to level things out :/...
I've talked to a couple people already including my UCAS advisor and the verdict so far is:
1) Do well on UKCAT
2) Write a killer PS
3) Kiss your teachers ass's to get good predicted grades

yeah true thats all there is left to do, where you looking to apply? my next big worry is the UKCAT because i'm not good at all this aptitude stuff... and i hate how time pressured it is
Original post by DanMomens
yeah true thats all there is left to do, where you looking to apply? my next big worry is the UKCAT because i'm not good at all this aptitude stuff... and i hate how time pressured it is

You could always try gettimg some papers remarked, both my maths and chem were very close to an A so it's worth a shot.

Same. VR and QR are my worst, I almost always run out of time :/

I was looking at KCL, Cardiff, Bristol and maybe Liverpool (Bristol and Liverpool don't use UKCAT). But unless I get a miracle score I don't think KCL is likely :frown:
Original post by Little_bird
You could always try gettimg some papers remarked, both my maths and chem were very close to an A so it's worth a shot.

Same. VR and QR are my worst, I almost always run out of time :/

I was looking at KCL, Cardiff, Bristol and maybe Liverpool (Bristol and Liverpool don't use UKCAT). But unless I get a miracle score I don't think KCL is likely :frown:

yeah its worth remarking. mine weren't that close unfortunately :frown:
I'm definitely going to apply to Bristol and I need to pick 3 (because 1 has to be a safety anyways) from either Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds, Queen Mary London, Plymouth and Sheffield. Sheffield is very tough though probably wont apply there to be honest.

In all honesty i really don't mind where i go, as long as i go somewhere ahaha, other than bristol (because they're tough) i want to apply to the easiest ones to get into. sucks tho cus none are easy for dentistry

Quick Reply

Latest