The Student Room Group

What NOT to take to uni ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by minimarshmallow
A lot of halls don't allow them, but even so I wouldn't see how it was useful.

People are talking about irons, we got given one and I was the only one who knew how to use it. It got to the point where my flatmates bought me drinks in return for me ironing their stuff, so if you know how to iron, it might be worth it...

People don't know how to use an iron :lolwut: I'm not particularly good at it, but you'd think people would understand the basics? :\
Original post by Poppyxx
wrong way round.

Red wine glasses have a rounder, wider bowl to give the wine space to breath.

White wine glasses are generally narrower (but not as narrow as a champagne flute), to allow the wine to retain its chilled temperature.

With regards to printers - wait till you get to uni and see what the printing situation is for you. I found mine invaluable. Mine's a Kodak and the price of cartridges are ridiculously low, and they last a long time.

really always looks the other way round on tv
Too many clothes. The wardrobes in halls are tiny!

well ill be damn i always thought it was that way as you dont want the red to oxidise so you put in a glass with less chance of that happening

you are know making me second guesss my very existence :eek:
Original post by Elise713
do you have to buy the stationary at freshers fayre or is it free? Like the sponsery/labelled free stationary that's given out at open days?

Was free at mine
Original post by Blazara
People don't know how to use an iron :lolwut: I'm not particularly good at it, but you'd think people would understand the basics? :\

Well, they know how to turn it on and run it across the clothes but when we went to the freshers' dinner one of them was ironing a cotton shirt on the wrong temperature and if he'd had it on the right temperature he'd have ironed more creases in than out. So I took over and told him to buy me a drink.
Another flatmates boyfriend was doing a horrible job of ironing more creases in than out so I got two drinks out of that because I did both shirts.
And my Chinese flatmate was used to his mum doing that so besides plugging it in he had no idea, not even knowing how to put it over the board properly.
Original post by Sam2424
*mum

doesn't have the same ring to it
Original post by winning11
doesn't have the same ring to it

...if you're American... mom? Really??
Original post by The Dark Lord
Standards.

LOL, you made my night. Thanks. I'm going to sleep laughing at this all night now :')
Reply 70
Original post by charlotte-rose
Iron, rice cooker (this may be useful, I dunno, but it ****ed me off that a girl had hers out all the time), different types of glasses (anything that will hold liquid will do, you don't need wine/champagne/matini etc), pens and pencils - freshers fayre has TONS, corkscrew (you can use a key)

For the record, I found my printer very useful.

Uh oh, too late :colondollar:

I'll always have a couple each of hi-ball/collins, whisky, flute and shot and possibly martini.

Some drinks just don't taste right in they are in the wrong glass :dontknow:

just been rewatching yugioh (nostalgia) and pegasus uses a thin one for red

so Maximilian pegasus, a man with possibly the greatest name ever or random website ive never heard of hmmm

i trust pegasus
Original post by alcazaba
Uh oh, too late :colondollar:

I'll always have a couple each of hi-ball/collins, whisky, flute and shot and possibly martini.

Some drinks just don't taste right in they are in the wrong glass :dontknow:

Cheap vodka and mixer tastes the same in all glasses. As does cheap wine and lager/cider. If you are drinking anything else at uni you aren't being very economical.
Reply 73
Original post by original_username
Cheap vodka and mixer tastes the same in all glasses. As does cheap wine and lager/cider. If you are drinking anything else at uni you aren't being very economical.

Beer/Cider of course I will be drinking out of whatever glasses, not too fussy about that, as long as if it's cider it's a pint sized glass so I can shove a load of ice in :smile:

Just because I prefer premium spirits over budget ones doesn't mean I can't be just as economical as any other student, .... I just drink less :h:
Reply 74
Original post by kopite493
just been rewatching yugioh (nostalgia) and pegasus uses a thin one for red

so Maximilian pegasus, a man with possibly the greatest name ever or random website ive never heard of hmmm

i trust pegasus

http://www.debretts.com/joie-de-vivre/food-and-drink/drink/wine/serving-wine.aspx

If Debretts say bigger bowl for red, narrower glass for white then I think yugioh may have got it wrong...
Reply 75
Original post by Poppyxx
http://www.debretts.com/joie-de-vivre/food-and-drink/drink/wine/serving-wine.aspx

If Debretts say bigger bowl for red, narrower glass for white then I think yugioh may have got it wrong...

Definitely bigger for red and narrower for white.

I learned an interesting thing last time I was at a winery too

To get a good serving temperature without a wine thermometer take white wine out of the fridge 15 mins before you drink it and put red wine in the fridge 15 mins before you drink it.

Of course it's pretty rough, but actually a really good tip!

So there you go, another item you don't need to take! (although tbf, I question whether anyone would be taking a wine thermometer anyway :laugh:)
For the love of god - do not bring books.

You will never read more than two of them. The last three years I have lugged my entire collection of 90+ books to and from uni. They usually fill up half the car. They look amazing all sitting there filling my shelves, but I HAVEN'T TOUCHED THEM. There's way too many distractions at uni like hallmates or reading you should be doing for your course.

Also - do not bring any item of clothing you have not worn in 6 months. Again - fill up two suitcases, put them in my wardrobe the first day of term, didn't touch them.
As other people have said:
- Iron - I used it once in my year in halls!
- Fiction books - if you have the time to read them then you're not spending your time at uni wisely unless you only read them for half an hour before bed or something.

My own things:
- Rug - Mine was cream and furry (no innuendoes please :tongue:). It covered too much of my floor, got covered in crumbs and tea/hot chocolate, and was a nightmare to hoover.
- Mixing bowl, baking dish (for lasagne etc.), ice cube tray, scales - I kept these in my room because I had the smallest cupboard in the kitchen. Never used them mainly because I was too lazy too cook anything too complex!

Printers can come in handy. I'm a design student and our printers at uni often have queues of several hours because some idiots have decided to send massive files to print in A3. If you're doing art or design, having an A3 printer will be a God send if you can afford it!
HIV.
Reply 79
Original post by Cheshire_Cat
- Mixing bowl, baking dish (for lasagne etc.), ice cube tray, scales - I kept these in my room because I had the smallest cupboard in the kitchen. Never used them mainly because I was too lazy too cook anything too complex!

I used all of those things all the time! I probably wouldn't have if I didn't have such good housemates though, we cooked together a lot so it was worth making things like lasagne... We used to bake cakes and things too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending