Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VW Megathread

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing up a 1988 golf mk2 gti 8v, pictures will follow shortly
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So here are pics of my little Lupo I was mentioning earlier in this thread. It only has 20,500 miles on

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to own a 911. Does that count?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of VW cars that come under classic car insurance? (No beetles by the way, something more modern and safe but will still allow me to get cheap insurance )
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_183)
    Currently doing up a 1988 golf mk2 gti 8v, pictures will follow shortly
    Does that come under classic car insurance mate?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Part A)
    Anyone know of VW cars that come under classic car insurance? (No beetles by the way, something more modern and safe but will still allow me to get cheap insurance )
    you can get classic insurance for cars <25yo. My insurer says 15 so thats anything before 1996, Practically out of the showroom!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ROARRR

got myself a completely unmolested mk1 golf gti (or so it appears.....) in white last week to replace my 2006 vauxhall corsa, which i could no longer fit in due to my experiencing a minor growth spurt at the ripe old age of 23. who would have though that vauxhall corsas dont accommodate 6'4 girls of long leg. paid about £2500 for it. nice one. it being my first petrol car, it has taken a bit of getting used to, not going to the diesel pump anymore...... no misfuelling trouble so far though! ;D

the body work, interior and mechanicals are all super. however i think i will redo the red edging of the front grill at some point, and i may change the alloys (not a massive fan of these ones on it at the moment..... i'm thinking about getting some 'bbs' ones), but other than that as it was recently refurbished it is a sweet looking thing :sexface:

will take some snaps and stick em here at some point for yall to be 'mirin' - that is if i can be bothered to wash it.....
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
    ROARRR

got myself a completely unmolested mk1 golf gti (or so it appears.....) in white last week to replace my 2006 vauxhall corsa, which i could no longer fit in due to my experiencing a minor growth spurt at the ripe old age of 23. who would have though that vauxhall corsas dont accommodate 6'4 girls of long leg. paid about £2500 for it. nice one. it being my first petrol car, it has taken a bit of getting used to, not going to the diesel pump anymore...... no misfuelling trouble so far though! ;D

the body work, interior and mechanicals are all super. however i think i will redo the red edging of the front grill at some point, and i may change the alloys (not a massive fan of these ones on it at the moment..... i'm thinking about getting some 'bbs' ones), but other than that as it was recently refurbished it is a sweet looking thing :sexface:

will take some snaps and stick em here at some point for yall to be 'mirin' - that is if i can be bothered to wash it.....
    In the first two weeks of having my petrol Morris Minor (after driving a diesel Land Rover for a year) I filled up with diesel at the pump and drove about 4 miles until the engine died :awesome: Pumped the fuel tank, took the plugs out and turned it over a few times and re-primed with petrol and away I went. The A-series engine is bloody tough
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to get an X reg Bora (my dad tells me it's basically a golf with a boot). Slightly terrified of driving it though, I'm so used to my tiny 1.3 KA, how will cope with a) a 1.9 engine and b) a car significantly bigger? I can park my KA, but a massive car....I can feel my reputation for being a decent driver going down the drain already. Anyone else driven a bora before, and if so are they fairly easy to get used to?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mooseem)
    I'm about to get an X reg Bora (my dad tells me it's basically a golf with a boot). Slightly terrified of driving it though, I'm so used to my tiny 1.3 KA, how will cope with a) a 1.9 engine and b) a car significantly bigger? I can park my KA, but a massive car....I can feel my reputation for being a decent driver going down the drain already. Anyone else driven a bora before, and if so are they fairly easy to get used to?
    Boras are effectively a Golf with a boot. From the rear wheels forward they're the same apart from very minor changes like headlights and a couple of bits of trim. Golfs are hardly big cars, and Boras are only about a foot or so longer. My first car was literally twice the size of the Bora. Really don't worry about it, it's not as big as you think. You'll quickly get used to it and the extra power will be nothing but a help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Boras are effectively a Golf with a boot. From the rear wheels forward they're the same apart from very minor changes like headlights and a couple of bits of trim. Golfs are hardly big cars, and Boras are only about a foot or so longer. My first car was literally twice the size of the Bora. Really don't worry about it, it's not as big as you think. You'll quickly get used to it and the extra power will be nothing but a help
    Haha I hope this is true, but in nearly 4 years I've only really driven my KA (bar two cars on a rally day) and it was a petrol, whereas this is a diesel, does it make a big difference? Oh dear this is making me sound like such a woman driver....
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mooseem)
    Haha I hope this is true, but in nearly 4 years I've only really driven my KA (bar two cars on a rally day) and it was a petrol, whereas this is a diesel, does it make a big difference? Oh dear this is making me sound like such a woman driver....
    Diesels are easier to drive tbh. You just stick it in 4th and it'll go pretty much anywhere They're much more forgiving than petrol but they have a different power band. You get all the power low down and then it flattens out as you go up the rev range which means it's a bit pointless to rev the nuts off them. Petrols tend to develop power further up the rev range. In real life this means you can change gear earlier and use higher gears than you normally would (especially as it'll have about twice as much power as your KA :P )
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    In the first two weeks of having my petrol Morris Minor (after driving a diesel Land Rover for a year) I filled up with diesel at the pump and drove about 4 miles until the engine died :awesome: Pumped the fuel tank, took the plugs out and turned it over a few times and re-primed with petrol and away I went. The A-series engine is bloody tough
    silly mister nuffles ;_;

:suith:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    silly mister nuffles ;_;

:suith:
    I like to keep my life interesting
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sold the red Lupo last week.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    ROARRR

For the red edging you could try AutoGlym bumper care, it's what I use and it turns out fantastic!

(Original post by Vindobona)
    I sold the red Lupo last week.

You getting another VW? :awesome:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)

You getting another VW? :awesome:
    It was my first and only car so far, so it was indeed an emotional farewell
    Now I'm going to do my Master's in England (I'm Austrian as you may have seen on the license plates), so I'm not going to buy a new car for another year or so. After that, we'll see. But to be honest, I want to buy a BMW when I come back... Yeah I know that I won't make a lot of friends saying that in a thread full of VW fans
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    For the red edging you could try AutoGlym bumper care, it's what I use and it turns out fantastic!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice thread. Can't wait to see pics of these Mk1 Golfs.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a VW Polo, my first car so pretty excited! It's a 1998 1.4 so fairly old but had a full service history and only 30,000 on the clock. My best friend's dad knows a lot about cars and he came with us to check it out, and it has been looked over by his mechanic friend which says it is a good buy so pretty please. Haven't actually driven it yet as I need some refresher lessons but hope to get that sorted this weekend!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2011
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.