The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Casey
I was offered a place on a "vacation scheme" by someone who runs recruitment at a "magic circle" law firm - I take it I'm not supposed to name names, so its one of Slaughter & May, Clifford Chance or Linklaters.

I'm not really too interested in law, though I am considering the possibility of doing a conversion course after I graduate, apparently this is a "great chance to get some neccessary experience". I don't really know much about the scheme, I really only know the guy a little so I didn't want to question him when he'd just offered me a place.

What I'm wondering is, because I already have something planned for this Summer whether or not I should take the offer up? Is it really something that is neccessary to eventually reach the top flights of law :smile: ? And would it involve actual legal work as opposed to shadowing senior members?

Take up the offer!! If you do decide to pursue a career in law - you will have like a 70% extra chance of getting into the firm that offered you the vat scheme (they told us this at a seminar at university, not sure if they exaggerated 70%)
ooops!
Take up the offer!! If you do decide to pursue a career in law - you will have like a 70% extra chance of getting into the firm that offered you the vat scheme (they told us this at a seminar at university, not sure if they exaggerated 70%)

No I don't think this will be an exaggeration ... Nabarro Nathanson, a good firm in Sheffield I applied to, make it clear in their literature that 80-90% of TC places go to people that did the vac scheme there.

I didnt get in for the vac scheme, but applied for TC anyway as well because I really wanted that firm, and got a nicely worded letter advising me that while my application would be considered, I should be aware of the 80-90% thing.

Didnt get an interview :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending