Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do unis look down on people who have done A-levels over 3 years?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetical situation:

I apply to a neuroscience degree with predicted AAB respectively in Biology, Art, and Maths. But I then decide i want to do Psychology which needs AAA at the uni I want to go to.... there's no way i could get an A in Maths so i decide to stay on at college and take a psychology A-level in one year aiming to get an A in it (this is presuming i find it easier than Maths, and that i achieved AAB/AAC) I then apply to the University (which would be the university of Leeds)

Is it even possible to take one A-level at college? Do they only let people who fail retake the year? Do unis (Leeds) dislike that? Please help me I am like stress McGee over here :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're applying to Cambridge or Oxford I wouldn't think so. I achieved mine over 3 years, largely because i transferred sixth forms to a new college (literally just built) and they weren't running history A2 till next year. Not sure about Leeds though you'd probably have to phone the University and ask.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically had a similar situation to you! Originally wanted to do art at uni but when decided too late that I would prefer to do sociology. I didn't have good enough grades to do sociology so this year I am just doing A2 history, AS philosophy and the extended project. It is definitely possible to take one a-level in a year (I had this idea originally) but you would need to phone around and see which colleges would take you on as some I phoned said they don't do that.

In regards to universities not liking you taking a-levels over 3 years I only stumbled across a couple who would reject it (and I emailed a LOT of places): Cambridge & Oxford obviously wouldn't accept, but also Glasgow, Edinburgh and Trinity College Dublin wouldn't accept either. When I emailed Leeds they said they would consider an application from me for sociology, but I would email them yourself to be sure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyd33)
    Hypothetical situation:

I apply to a neuroscience degree with predicted AAB respectively in Biology, Art, and Maths. But I then decide i want to do Psychology which needs AAA at the uni I want to go to.... there's no way i could get an A in Maths so i decide to stay on at college and take a psychology A-level in one year aiming to get an A in it (this is presuming i find it easier than Maths, and that i achieved AAB/AAC) I then apply to the University (which would be the university of Leeds)

Is it even possible to take one A-level at college? Do they only let people who fail retake the year? Do unis (Leeds) dislike that? Please help me I am like stress McGee over here :confused:
    Hey please don't worry about not getting a place at the University of Leeds. I have also done my Alevels over three years due to a change in career prospects. I applied to the University of Leeds this month and the university has not held it against me. I got an offer from them just 6 days after applying! So don't worry... you'll be fine. Just make sure you explain in your personal statement the reason you took three years to do your Alevels and you'll be fine.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, they didn't look down on me however because I spent 3 years on my A levels, (took a year out to work and retake my Phil and Ethics because I did poorly in it). My Universities still excepted me despite my extra year however I think Portsmouth Uni is a bit differnt to Leeds (rankings ect)

Good Luck.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 9, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.