The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year: its not the end of the world!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inspire12
Guys what do you think about taking a gap year for two years in a row? I already took one to bump up my a level grades by resitting but still didnt get what i needed, i have an offer for a course i dont want to do!

Advice?
Im afraid that ill be so behind my friends who will have completed two years at uni and im just at home doing a levels for a fourth year but in the long run it will be better

Where can i learn a new language or new skills where it is not expensive?

Don't do a uni course unless you want to do, from what I've observed most people who do that drop out anyway.

Ignore what your friends/rest of society are doing and do what is right for you so you can do what you want to do.
Reply 41
Original post by .Scout.

A few years ago I got AAC and failed to get into uni. I decided to retake in my (unplanned) gap year to bump up my grades.
I was applying for a very competitive course (English) and I had no problem whatsoever with getting university offers HOWEVER, I had to prove that I was putting my unplanned gap year to good use.

As well as retaking, I did Sociology A Level (both AS and A2 from scratch in a year) and I also got some relevant work expererience.

I'm on a gap year & hoping to reapply for english :smile:
I know its an old thread, but I'm interested as to what work experience you had?
Thanks x
On all these gap year holidays that are coming up on the internets, are they organised with a group of people?
Original post by ice_cube
So your results are in, and its not worked out how you hoped and now a gap year beckons.

DON’T WORRY!

Gap years can be an amazing experience, help you be better prepared for reapplying, and help you to gain multiple skills that will be beneficial later in life.

And most importantly, you can have a lot of fun.

I ended up taking a spontaneous gap year in 2007 when I changed my mind on what subject I wanted to do, and reapplied. My parents were worried what would happen (much of this post involves responses for parents), I wasn’t too thrilled about being left behind by my friends, and the world of proper work was a scary place.

It ended up being the best year of my life, and I wouldn’t have changed a minute of it. I worked for 6 months, and then worked abroad in politics for a while. It was amazing. I met friends for life, learnt so much, and went off to university a much happier and more confident person.

There’s a little bit of advice in this opening post, give it a skim and see if it answers any questions. Everyone’s situation is different, and everyone has different aims of what they want to get out of their year out. If you want some help or ideas on what to do, how to get work experience, or how to just make the most of it post below, and the wonderful users of the Gap Year forum will see if we can help work out what to do. This may also be useful to explain to parents that its not the end of the world, and can end up being constructive.

Potential options

Resits and reapplying
Try and organise these to be in the earliest sitting they can be. That way, you have the results available for reapplying, and can enjoy the rest of your year without worrying. Make sure you request any papers that you can, and stay in touch with your teachers to ensure you get the best support while not being at the school. Every school has a different process for how they deal with retakes. Also make sure you let the person who will be your referee know what is happening and when you are aiming to apply by.

Its more difficult to reapply when no one around you is (I struggled to keep track of deadlines when it wasn’t the favourite topic of conversation in the common room) so you need to make sure you are on the ball from the beginning, particularly if you are making an Oxbridge application, or medicine.

Travelling
The popular option for many gap yah (sorry, had to be done) students is to take off and explore the world. All well and good, but not everyone has the financial support to be able to do that instantly (see below section). If you do decide to go off and see the world, have a good think about what you really want to go. Its worth looking at some gap year companies (there are numerous threads on these in the forum, some supportive, some less so) but also worth thinking about doing independently, either alone or with friends. There are advantages and disadvantages of both.

Travelling can be a great way of broadening your horizons, meeting new people, and giving a focus to the year. Working solidly for 6 months seems so much more appealing when the prospect of lying on a beach is at the end.

If you need to work to support yourself during the year, or want to save some for university, that doesn’t mean you need to rule out travelling completely. Even going for 2 months around Europe will still be a great experience.

Working
A fairly good way of spending part, or all, of the year is in some form of gainful employment. This is useful in two ways. Firstly, it provides money, which is always useful, and makes everything that little bit more fun. Parents also rather like this bit.

Secondly, it comes in very useful after you graduate with that sticky business of actually getting a job. It doesn’t matter whether you work behind a bar, sit at a reception desk, or become an air hostess (someone I know did this, brilliant way to spend a year), having worked at some stage helps enormously. It also helps fund ways of keeping you entertained (see further down). I had three different jobs on my gap year, two in offices (one ok, one horrifically stressful) and also waitressed. I loved waitressing, met some great people, and ate a lot of free food.

Work experience
It might not be possible to get a paying job that works towards your career goals or degree choice. However, being able to live at home rent free (I know not applicable to everyone) gives you a bit of freedom to do some unpaid work experience, without worrying about your landlord coming calling.

It might be possible to work one day a week in your chosen field (generally easier persuade someone to let you hang out every Friday than be there all the time), or be able to do a few weeks on a placement.

You also have the bonus of being able to get experience outside of university holiday times, when all your peers will be trying to scoop up everything they can get their hands on.

Making friends and staying sane
The first bit of your gap year can be difficult, particularly with facebook. All your friends seem to be off having fun, trying new things, and having a whale of a time.

There is no reason you can’t do the same. The good thing about a gap year, working and having a bit of spare cash, and no homework or revision, is that you can have a go at all the things you’ve always wanted to do. Always wanted to learn an instrument, tap dance, or rock climb? Go book some lessons. You might make some new friends, discover a new love, and it will stop you feeling so left out of everyone having a good time. If you are into creative stuff, see if the local amateur dramatics group need someone to do sound/lighting/warble/make costumes. Joining a sports team will introduce you to a whole new group of people, and probably social life.

Just because your friends have disappeared off to other parts of the country, doesn’t mean you cant see them. You can always pop up for the weekend and join in their fun and frolicks.

The most important thing is to remember that a gap year is what you make of it. Some of my friends worked in boring jobs, but didn’t make any effort to do anything new and ended up bored and depressed. Those who did have fun with new things had an awesome time, met loads of people and loved their time out of education.

So, what do you want to do with your year? Want advice on what to do to help with your future career? Scared its all going to be a big horrible mess? Let us help, post your questions below.

Hey Ice Cube, is that named after the rapper? Anyway I wasn't sure about defering uni to work in Canada or Australia for 6 months. See my thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2117516 I don't think I'm ready for uni, i'm quite shy and unconfident however I have already taken an extra year over most people, taking 3 years to do my a-levels.
What do you think I should do?
Reply 44
Long story short, what would Warwick University think about me retaking some of my A levels to achieve the A*AA required for Accounting and Finance. Currently I won't achieve the predicted grades required to get a place there and I think Accounting and Finance is too competitive for clearing.

Here's the long story, I messed up the first year of a levels and received B D D at Maths, Economics and Physics. However, I feel that it might be possible for me to achieve the A*AA required for Warwick. My teachers are reluctant to give me high enough predictions for me to apply to Warwick so what other options are there?

Thanks for reading!
I got low grades from my btec- 120 ucas points and I had a place at sheffield hallam for a foundation year in engineering and maths but decided that it wasnt right for me and decided to take an unexpected gap year six days before enrollment and applied for computing after bragging about it and people was making jokes, i felt abit down not knowing what to do.

Everyone was already in uni either complaining about it or enjoying it with all their facebook pics from fresher week and to kill the boredom I join membership for gym and cinema all on my own while applying for jobs until I got retail job in a gadget store menkind which is good but most of the employees are uni students and that kinda annoyed me overall this is a temp job that ends in jan so I do that until then and planned a little trip to derby this winter and probably get some work experience and get an office job while getting my teesside uni interview 28tht this month I will make a comment in 2 or 3 months time to see any changes.
Reply 46
Is anyone spending their gap year in the UK, not travelling? My year out was unplanned, I'm currently doing volunteer work and taking driving lessons whilst looking for a paid job. I'd love to go travelling around Europe but I don't have the funds. Anyone else in the same/similar position or have any ideas for interesting and relatively affordable things I could do? I'm so worried I'll feel like I've wasted the entire year.
Reply 47
Original post by Curly2349
I want to apply for biology for 2013.
I'm getting a job for the first 6 months and I want to go travelling after March. Does anyone have any ideas of where to go/ what to do when I'm travelling that would help my application for biology??

This. What helps a biology applicant??
Reply 48
Original post by lp94
Is anyone spending their gap year in the UK, not travelling? My year out was unplanned, I'm currently doing volunteer work and taking driving lessons whilst looking for a paid job. I'd love to go travelling around Europe but I don't have the funds. Anyone else in the same/similar position or have any ideas for interesting and relatively affordable things I could do? I'm so worried I'll feel like I've wasted the entire year.

Similar position, my gap year was unplanned, I'm revising for exams and working 2 part time jobs (which can vary between 4 to 28 hours a week).

By the sounds of it, you have not wasted the entire year, just make sure you get your university place sorted early. You are volunteering, which is by far a valid and good thing to do for a gap year.

You could always look to self improvement! Take up running for instance! And run a local half marathon etc.

I'm considering obtaining my skydiving licence next year, and possibly doing the Leeds half marathon! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 49
Original post by ks2924
Similar position, my gap year was unplanned, I'm revising for exams and working 2 part time jobs (which can vary between 4 to 28 hours a week).

By the sounds of it, you have not wasted the entire year, just make sure you get your university place sorted early. You are volunteering, which is by far a valid and good thing to do for a gap year.

You could always look to self improvement! Take up running for instance! And run a local half marathon etc.

I'm considering obtaining my skydiving licence next year, and possibly doing the Leeds half marathon! :biggrin:

Sounds like you've got plenty to do! Are you doing resits at the moment then? And where do you work? Thanks for replying by the way, really reassuring to know there are others in my position! :smile:
Original post by lp94

Consider travelling Scotland, its a nice place and refreshing compared to England or just look for a part time job its annoying getting rejected and all but try extra hard on it. Look for easier jobs to get if possible.
Reply 51
Original post by Vibenation
Consider travelling Scotland, its a nice place and refreshing compared to England or just look for a part time job its annoying getting rejected and all but try extra hard on it. Look for easier jobs to get if possible.

I have been considering doing a road trip around the UK or visiting some places I've been meaning to go to, including Scotland, Wales, London etc. It's kind of difficult to motivate yourself to do something like that though, especially alone.
And honestly, I've been applying for jobs since August and had no luck. Went to an interview at Asda last week and got rejected for it - how depressing! I'm quite a quiet, awkward person which makes it even harder to find work.
Original post by lp94
I have been considering doing a road trip around the UK or visiting some places I've been meaning to go to, including Scotland, Wales, London etc. It's kind of difficult to motivate yourself to do something like that though, especially alone.
And honestly, I've been applying for jobs since August and had no luck. Went to an interview at Asda last week and got rejected for it - how depressing! I'm quite a quiet, awkward person which makes it even harder to find work.

Tough times, go to a career centre like connexions and set up a interview, adviser are very helpful they can help make your CV better or get more information. Do some volunteering, its annoying but gives you something to put on your CV. Also check reed.com google search it and register and upload your cv and cover letter and search for jobs. It makes it easier to get jobs I had like four interviews. Never give up, I am awkward person myself but come out of the closet. I was very close to giving up that I was about to just go to job centre and apply for jobseekers allowence luckily I just gotten the retail job.
Reply 53
If anyone's interested in an organised volunteering and holiday-y gap year abroad, 'Project Trust' are pretty amazing. They send people to 3rd countries in Africa, Asia and the South Americas. I'm currently in China because of them! They send you in groups so there's 27 people in China with me and you live with either 2 or 3 people. You make life-long friends with these people, learn a language (depending on where you go), get work experience and we get 4 months of travel!
China isn't a very 'holiday-y' place to go.. But my boyfriend is currently in Honduras with the same charity. He lives on a beach with 20-30 degree weather all year round!
You need to raise £5100 beforehand to do it which sounds daunting but the charity helps you through it and make it easy! The money covers everything apart from travel and food and clothes and things.. You also get paid a bit from the school you work at which you can use for living costs (food and clothes - you can even save some for extra travelling).
You can either do this for 8 months (it costs less too) or the whole year. I obviously recommend the year as you get to experience so much more!
If you have any questions then ask away :smile: But this is really worth looking in to. It's got everything!
Reply 54
how hard is it to get back into studying?
Original post by freakedout
how hard is it to get back into studying?

It depends on the person themselves, the average person would just need to read some books to refresh themselves and just needs to be good at taking notes during lectures and seminars.
Reply 56
Hey, just wanted to ask something.. One of my friend would be studying Social work at uni, she wants to have a gap year but she's not sure if it is a good idea and if its a waste of year for her?
Gap years are my all time pet hate. They are taking by snotty boys and stuck up girls paid for by 'daddy'. They go of prancing around the world telling themselves the 'will do good causes' or 'find themself', while all they end up doing is getting drunk and engaging in casual sex.
They end up coming home more depressed than when they left and usually with some kind of sexual disease.
Original post by Glory&Honour
Gap years are my all time pet hate. They are taking by snotty boys and stuck up girls paid for by 'daddy'. They go of prancing around the world telling themselves the 'will do good causes' or 'find themself', while all they end up doing is getting drunk and engaging in casual sex.
They end up coming home more depressed than when they left and usually with some kind of sexual disease.

The only people I know that went on gap years (taking into account the fact that I go to an all girls private school.) either had to raise the money to go work for a cause themselves, by working, saving up, getting people to sponsor them at events, etc. or saved up to go somewhere like Australia and worked half the time to earn money for the second half of volunteering. I only know one person that didn't do anything productive out of about 50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who would sponsor someone for a gap year, they're basically just saying 'here's money for getting drunk.
You say they had to work on their gap year, then what is the point of a gap year? They could have worked at home and finished their studies early instead of putting stress on their parents by making them worry about them.

Quick Reply

Latest