The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year: its not the end of the world!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bude8
So if I don't get an offer from my first choice uni, could I take a gap year and spend it learning extra maths, then reapply next year?

Rather late reply, but yes you could :smile: but make sure you're doing something Maths focused as they tend not to like Gap Years...

Posted from TSR Mobile
is there another thread like this still alive?

I'm currently deciding whether or not, after this academic year finishes, to go to uni, take a gap year or stay to do another year of A levels. If i go back and do a levels i'll be resitting stuff potentially for the second time (e.g. doing the same core maths exams three times - i'm basically resitting three whole subjects a long with my A2 exams this year so i may have to pick and chose, paying for them all on a year off isn't really possible) just to stay full time which may be good or not.
A year working appeals most to me, I don't know what subjects i'd like to do at uni so any experience in any subject/new/combination of them may help. it's a year from studying when i've already not got a huge grasp of my subjects, i feel taking a year off suits people when they're either pretty stable on their subjects/can refresh their brains before going to uni, or are looking to start agin/do something different... i don't know.

i've come across apprenticeships or 'year in industry' programs for people before going to uni. Not sure whether i should do this after doing a third year of a levels. Or just settle for lower grades and go to uni, though clearing isn't something i'm excited about. I'd love to think more about which unis and courses to do.

Anyone have experience of a year in industry/staying for another year/gap year that could point out pros and cons? Or any advice would be awesome. I'm interested in physical sciences mainly, or engineering courses (more because they combine them and is something new i may need to try).

This thread is old i know, do redirect me/let me know i should start a new thread or whatever. it's a great original post though, less daunting now :smile:
Great post! Gap years really do help get you ready for uni/working life, so definitely worth considering...you don't want to regret not doing it later in life!!
Hello,,

So my gap year was really unplanned, worked myself to the bone to get A*A*B, got into York to study Law, arrived at York realised i hated the university as well as not enjoying being 400 miles from home (I am a bit of a home bird) so decided to drop out, take a gap year and apply for the university that is in my home town. I have received an unconditional offer from them, so that's all good, my problem is I'm a bit bored. I have been relentlessly applying for jobs but even with my grades as well as 2/3 years work experience, no one seems to want to give me a job. So a job is what I am after, as I want to save some money up for a European trip before September, but seeing as securing a job is taking a while I wondered about some suggestions to do with all my free time, bearing in mind I have a lot of free time, but not a lot of money? I have thought about trying to gain some work experience but I'm not really sure how to go about it, where to ask or anything of the sort. So any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by Heidi0110
Hello,,

So my gap year was really unplanned, worked myself to the bone to get A*A*B, got into York to study Law, arrived at York realised i hated the university as well as not enjoying being 400 miles from home (I am a bit of a home bird) so decided to drop out, take a gap year and apply for the university that is in my home town. I have received an unconditional offer from them, so that's all good, my problem is I'm a bit bored. I have been relentlessly applying for jobs but even with my grades as well as 2/3 years work experience, no one seems to want to give me a job. So a job is what I am after, as I want to save some money up for a European trip before September, but seeing as securing a job is taking a while I wondered about some suggestions to do with all my free time, bearing in mind I have a lot of free time, but not a lot of money? I have thought about trying to gain some work experience but I'm not really sure how to go about it, where to ask or anything of the sort. So any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you :biggrin:

Maybe go to your local volunteer centre and see if they have any relevant positions available? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in my first year of uni and finding it rather stressful. I feel I need a mental break (after 3 years in college and straight to uni) to reconsider things - whether my subject is really what I want to be doing. Am I caving under the pressure or running away I don't know. I would like to work and earn money in my gap year (if I take one) and possibly find out if I can get into a vet care assistant apprenticeship. Any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest