The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tbag1
Zero benefit to doing 4, as far as I can see. Am I right?

Yup. Well - that used to be true, but rumours are floating around that Barts this year are using some kind of ranking on UCAS tariff for interview selection. If that is the case, doing 4 A2 is better than doing 3 A2 if you want to apply to Barts. I'm not sure if this is confirmed or not yet. Penguin will likely know and be able to give better advice:

penguinsaysquack
BATL knowledge required

:smile:
Reply 41
Original post by tbag1
Zero benefit to doing 4, as far as I can see. Am I right?

Depends where you are applying to be honest -- at certain schools having 4 subjects is the norm. It also gives you a back up incase something unexpectedly goes wrong. If you are handling your work load I would keep all four just because you never know what it is that will make the difference in the end.
Reply 42
Original post by Beska
Yup. Well - that used to be true, but rumours are floating around that Barts this year are using some kind of ranking on UCAS tariff for interview selection. If that is the case, doing 4 A2 is better than doing 3 A2 if you want to apply to Barts. I'm not sure if this is confirmed or not yet. Penguin will likely know and be able to give better advice:

:smile:

I see! Wasn't really thinking of applying to Barts though DON'T TELL PENGUIN!

Original post by lekky
Depends where you are applying to be honest -- at certain schools having 4 subjects is the norm. It also gives you a back up incase something unexpectedly goes wrong. If you are handling your work load I would keep all four just because you never know what it is that will make the difference in the end.

Yeah see I'd be grand. But I play 1st XV rugby, I'm in the Orchestra and I'm Deputy Head of school this year. So maybe 3 might be better... Plus, I'm science-y minded, and my 4th subject is RE. I love the content, really interesting and all (Philosophy and Ethics modules) but the whole essay ethos doesn't suit me too well!
Reply 43
Just don't pile too much onto your plate. I was originally planning to do 4 (you know, "this is easy I could easily do this!!" attitude :rolleyes:) but after the first few weeks the lack of free time (both in and out of school) got be down a bit, so I ended up dropping my fourth subject which was psychology. For psychology, there was a big difference in content/structure of learning and exams between AS and A2 which I didn't realise there would be. If you are wanting to do RS, make sure you check the content/structure of the A2 to see if it suits you still. :smile:
Reply 44
People doing 4 A2 subjects? That sounds tough, really. I did like 5 or 6 AS, but I'm doing 3 A2 lol, And I'm finishing Maths in january, so after January I have 2 A2 subjects. Doing 4 would kill me.
Reply 45
:'( , Totally gutted big time. My college would never predict me a grade higher. My grades are :
English : E ( Dropped! )
Maths : B
Chem : C :'( Killer
Bio : B

Looks like it is a gap year and a cancellation of Ukcat "/
Reply 46
Original post by sumsum123
:'( , Totally gutted big time. My college would never predict me a grade higher. My grades are :
English : E ( Dropped! )
Maths : B
Chem : C :'( Killer
Bio : B

Looks like it is a gap year and a cancellation of Ukcat "/

Sorry to hear that. Do you know what went wrong? Get working towards some resits to pull that up - I'd also recommend trying to pull your English AS up as well if you're still planning to apply for medicine.
Reply 47
Original post by lekky
Sorry to hear that. Do you know what went wrong? Get working towards some resits to pull that up - I'd also recommend trying to pull your English AS up as well if you're still planning to apply for medicine.

Hey , thanks. Yes defo , I need to resit my Englis Exam. I don,t know what went wrong :s , what I do know is I got alot resits. I got A,s in my practicals in bio n chem , which helped out. It is a case of doing a better job of it all next time. Take a year out, get more well-rounded and go for 2013 entry.
FML. Got BBCC today (AS grades...bio, chem, phys, history)...there goes my medicine chances AHHHHH :'(
Reply 49
Hi

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm kind of freaking out.
I got AAA in Bio, Chem and Math (AS levels) but a C in Eng Lit at AS level.
I know most medical school state that AAA are admission requirements to get in, but since medicine is so competitive, would they even consider to accept someone with a C in their 4 AS level subject? I know of people who have received Bs in their 4th subject but not C.

So basically, do you know anyone who got a C in their 4th AS subject and got into medicine?

Thanks so much

P.S I did the extended project last year and haven't got the results for that so could medical schools look at that instead of the Eng Lit AS level? Or will the C always be like a black mark on my application form?

P.P.S will retaking help? Because universities will do interviews and read personal statements before I retake so I don't know if it'll make a difference.

Thanks for reading this. Any advice is really appreciated
AAAA :biggrin:
Now.. UKCAT :s-smilie:
Reply 51
Original post by Jess Sam
Hi

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm kind of freaking out.
I got AAA in Bio, Chem and Math (AS levels) but a C in Eng Lit at AS level.
I know most medical school state that AAA are admission requirements to get in, but since medicine is so competitive, would they even consider to accept someone with a C in their 4 AS level subject? I know of people who have received Bs in their 4th subject but not C.

So basically, do you know anyone who got a C in their 4th AS subject and got into medicine?

Thanks so much

P.S I did the extended project last year and haven't got the results for that so could medical schools look at that instead of the Eng Lit AS level? Or will the C always be like a black mark on my application form?

P.P.S will retaking help? Because universities will do interviews and read personal statements before I retake so I don't know if it'll make a difference.

Thanks for reading this. Any advice is really appreciated

AAAC is fine, you just won't be eligible to apply to any medical schools that require AAAa (i.e. an A in the 4th AS Level). You can resit some AS Eng Lit modules during your A2 year to increase it to an A or B, if you want.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
i got A and two high Bs :frown: but in my gcse's i got 6A*'s and 3A's so i dont know what to do?! Im only waiting to see if my predicted grades become 3A's because thats what they r looking for! what sucks is my personal statement is sooo strong and i want to do medicine sooo bad D: advice?
Reply 53
Original post by danaxx94
i got A and two high Bs :frown: but in my gcse's i got 6A*'s and 3A's so i dont know what to do?! Im only waiting to see if my predicted grades become 3A's because thats what they r looking for! what sucks is my personal statement is sooo strong and i want to do medicine sooo bad D: advice?

You will be fine as long as your school predicts you AAA :smile:
Reply 54
It worries me, all these people saying they couldn't cope with 4 A2's going onto medicine, you're in for a shock with the work load :tongue: & I worked part-time throughout my A Levels, did voluntary work, lots of ECs and still had a life :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by lekky
You will be fine as long as your school predicts you AAA :smile:

but will they give me 3 predicted A's? I dont understand how it works ! aah this is so stressful! Thanks for your help though
Reply 56
but will they give me 3 predicted A's? I dont understand how it works ! aah this is so stressful! Thanks for your help though

They should do. If not, raise hell. :wink: 2 high B's at AS deserve to be given A2 predictions of 'A'.
Reply 57

Different schools have different policies but at my college yes, they would. Speak to them in September, explain how you need a prediction of AAA to apply, say you know what went wrong this year to lead to you getting two B's and what you'll do to change in in your A2 year.
Reply 58
A mum here ... has anyone ever recovered from an E in Chemistry AS and gone on to do medicine? Or is it time to give up the dream?:frown:
Reply 59
Original post by lekky
It worries me, all these people saying they couldn't cope with 4 A2's going onto medicine, you're in for a shock with the work load :tongue: & I worked part-time throughout my A Levels, did voluntary work, lots of ECs and still had a life :tongue:

Here :P I never said I couldn't cope. I just don't think it's worth my while :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending