The Student Room Group

Cambridge Natural Sciences (NatSci) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Excalibur
Well, because my offer doesn't stipulate anything in Further Maths, I'm thinking of dropping Further Maths after AS (i.e. after I sit the 3 modules this month). I only put down that I'm doing AS on the UCAS form in case this happened so I won't be breaking any rules...! I'm still undecided though, even though FM does my head in sometimes I still love doing Maths..... I don't know what to do!

Isn't Maths A and B designed for Phys NatScis though? I thought QB or EMB is more useful for Bio NatScis.

I'm not really sure whether QB or Maths A/B would be better. QB is more tailored towards biological options, but I'm not sure whether it actually goes into any more depth in the relevant areas (differential equations etc) since they are also hugely relevant in the physical sciences. You'd probs be best off asking your DoS which they think would be best.

Basically I'm just saying the Maths A/B courses wouldn't be beyond you, most natscis hate maths :p:
Reply 21
Yes we do hate Maths. It is beyond evil.
A word of advice for anyone who didn't do physics A-level but wants to do it now after doing further maths - learn physics A-level, it is relatively necessary.

I started off doing physics, maths B, chemistry and biology of cells (intending to go into biochemistry while keeping my options open), then after the first week decided physics wasn't for me (too much mechanics) so I switched to evolution and behaviour, and though I wasn't finding the maths too hard, my DoS advised me to switch to QB as well. I actually much prefer these options, and will probably now go into evolution. Which makes me glad that I'm doing natural sciences, because I applied for biochemistry everywhere else.
Reply 23
Hi, I've got an offer from Churchill to read natural sciences (physical) with a view to taking experimental and theoretical physics in the third and fourth years. Does anybody know if there are any opportunities to study any programming, especially in the context of computational physics?
Reply 24
*Joanna*, Robob, Supergrunch - thank you very much for all your information. 'Tis certainly given me food for thought. I still have ages to ponder about this anyway, so will leave it for now (and probably better start revising, heh).
Excalibur
Oooh, one my close friends at school has got an offer for bio NatSci at Pembroke! You might have met her at interview (she went on the 6th of Dec).

I was there the 3rd-4th so won't have met her...is she nice? :p:
Reply 26
Lily The Pink
I was there the 3rd-4th so won't have met her...is she nice? :p:

She couldn't be a lovelier person :biggrin:
Most natscis hate maths? That just sounds crazy. I thought scientist's loved maths.
Reply 28
steelmole
Most natscis hate maths? That just sounds crazy. I thought scientist's loved maths.

Physcis like it, most Bio and Chem (i.e. most natscis) don't

Oh and there is now an introduction to programming in 1B Physics B and some computing projects (excel based) scattered around the Maths courses.

In part II physics you get to do more computing projects as well, and can choose a computational thing as your final year project.

You can of course do computer science as a first year option as well.
Well then yay for physics! That's what I'm gonna end up doing.
Reply 30
*Joanna*
Yes we do hate Maths. It is beyond evil.

I have a love/hate relationship with maths. Sometimes I am simply awed by it, at other times I don't want to look at a number ever again. :p:
I got a place at Pembroke! Biological - Thinking of taking the three biology modules though might replace one of them with Chemistry. Thank God I don't ahve to decide now though, it'll be really hard to decide.
Reply 32
Is this course more difficult to get into than Oxford Biochem?

And how do they interview? Is it more general than what a Chemistry or a more specific course would be?
Reply 33
To be honest, I doubt any of us could say whether it's harder to get into than Oxford, since you can only apply for one. If I were you, I wouldn't think in terms of 'Which am I more likely to get in to?' but 'Which course would I enjoy more?' If you're more passionate about the course it will come across in your interview. If you don't know for sure that you want to do Biochem, NatSci is really good because it allows you to change your mind and sample different areas that are really diverse.
Reply 34
steelmole
Well then yay for physics! That's what I'm gonna end up doing.

Well, in my year/college out of around 20 people intending to do physics only about 6 are in 2nd year...:p:

But I'm sure you'll stick with it, in general most people who are pretty made up about it probably do stick with it
Reply 35
Robob
I'm not really sure whether QB or Maths A/B would be better. QB is more tailored towards biological options, but I'm not sure whether it actually goes into any more depth in the relevant areas (differential equations etc) since they are also hugely relevant in the physical sciences. You'd probs be best off asking your DoS which they think would be best.

Basically I'm just saying the Maths A/B courses wouldn't be beyond you, most natscis hate maths :p:

I think QB is a load of stats, and one thing to consider is that a lot of colleges seem to coerce students into doing QB/EMB if they are biological even if they are perfectly capable/intending to do proper maths. Which is something of a shame really, although it is probably just hearsay - if you really wanted to do maths they could hardly stop you.
Reply 36
MC REN
I think QB is a load of stats, and one thing to consider is that a lot of colleges seem to coerce students into doing QB/EMB if they are biological even if they are perfectly capable/intending to do proper maths. Which is something of a shame really, although it is probably just hearsay - if you really wanted to do maths they could hardly stop you.

Actually, that's true, forgot about stats.

We had one in our year do maths b. Like the use of the term 'proper maths' :p:
Reply 37
MC REN
Well, in my year/college out of around 20 people intending to do physics only about 6 are in 2nd year...:p:

But I'm sure you'll stick with it, in general most people who are pretty made up about it probably do stick with it

In my college, that ratio is more like 10-2!

I think the main reason is that before uni, people didn't realise quite how much maths is involved in physics, and in my experience, natscis hate maths!
Reply 38
MC REN
In part II physics you get to do more computing projects as well, and can choose a computational thing as your final year project.
As well as all this, this year they've introduced/changed the 2nd year (Part IB) Physics course to have a non-**** computing component. I think this will be followed by changing the Part II stuff to being non-rubbish too.
Reply 39
Are there any lectures/practicals/supervisions over the weekend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending